Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

Beauty
How to Style Curly Hair: A Picture Tutorial (karma: 35)
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 02:25 AM
Edited by dancingjojo17 (81943) on 2007-12-29 02:29:23
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2008-02-12 22:51:51

Hello DDNers!

I have noticed that several girls on DDN and in my life have curly hair, but they have no idea how to style it. For example, does your curly hair end up looking something like this?:
Image hotlink - 'http://i18.tinypic.com/6ytwhfq.jpg'
That's how mine looked for about 2 years before I figured out how to deal with it :P

Alot of girls say that their hair ends up looking too frizzy, too crunchy, too poofy, too flat, or just somehow not the way they want it to look when they try to wear it curly. Some straighten it all the time, some have just given up on trying to style it at all. I'm here to give those girls a photo tutorial on what works for me... the "method" I use took me quite lot of trial and error to figure out, so hopefully it can give you good starting point on your journey to find a good way to style your curly hair! :)

As for me, I have fairly long hair with soft curls. I use Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Cream in my hair, but you can experiment with whatever you please. The soft curl cream works best for me, because it defines my curls without making them look crunchy.

Everyone's hair is different, so everyone will use a different method. My goal for this thread is to help you ladies find a starting point! :) Feel free to add your own tips and/or pictures of things that work for your curly hair. Let's help each other make the best of our curls!

Step 1: Shower time!*
Be sure to use conditioner in your hair, and use your fingers (or a brush) to take out the tangles while you have the conditioner in your hair. After you rinse the conditioner out of your hair, saturate your hair with water, then turn off the shower. Next, flip your head over and finger-comb your hair (run your fingers through it) until any remaining tangles are gone. After that, loosely wrap your hair in a towel, dry off, and put some clothes on.

*You may also just wet your hair in a sink or shower, but using conditioner greatly aids the reduction of frizz later on.

Step 2: Adding Product
After you take your hair (gently!) out of the towel, it should look something like this:
Image hotlink - 'http://i10.tinypic.com/87kuxr9.jpg'
Note how the hair is "piece-y"... these "pieces" of hair will later become defined curls! Getting your hair nice and piece-y will greatly aid you in the battle against frizz. If you've never noticed, frizz is really just a bunch of hairs that don't form one distinct curl, but rather they each just float around solo. The piece-y effect will help combat frizz in that way.

Before I go on… I must say, I never ever brush my curly hair, unless I’m IN the shower and it will get wet again. Brushing curly hair often results in poofiness, and it definitely does not allow your individual curls to make “pieces” as described in the above paragraph! So, I recommend NOT using a brush, unless you are in the shower and plan to wet your hair again. Finger-combing after you turn off the water is different, because by finger-combing it while it is saturated allows the hair to release water and find its own curls.

Ok, moving on. After you remove the towel, it is time to apply product. I have found that the most effective way to apply product is to "scrunch" it in gently. I start by tipping my head to one side and draping my hair over it. I then scrunch and pat the product onto my hair, being careful not brush my hair in any way. The goal here is to apply product to the curls, not every individual hair. Remember to put a little bit of product on the baby hairs near your hairline... those LOVE to get frizzy!
Image hotlink - 'http://i11.tinypic.com/6ltlgqp.jpg'

After you apply product to one “layer” of hair, move your hair to where it is sort of parted on one side, and apply product to those parts of your hair too. Repeat with a middle part, the other side part, and the other side of your hair, then flip your head upside down and scrunch any remaining product into your hair.
Image hotlink - 'http://i6.tinypic.com/86hz7eo.jpg'

Step 3: Blow-drying*
*Instead of blow-drying your hair, you could just skip this step and let your hair air dry. This is perfectly fine, and I get nice results letting it air dry.

I use a regular hair dryer and a diffuser to blow dry my hair. The diffuser diffuses the heat so it’s not such a harsh stream of air hitting your curls. I normally begin with blow-drying my hair with my head flipped upside down for a few minutes (This gives it more volume), then I go to the “head tipped to one side” position to continue. Remember to tip your head to both sides! I use a scrunching kind of motion to blow-dry my hair:
Image hotlink - 'http://i14.tinypic.com/8b5vtjl.jpg'

I also find it effective to scrunch and blow dry sort of at the same time:
Image hotlink - 'http://i17.tinypic.com/6kp61it.jpg'

Be careful with ^that^ method though… never leave your hair too close to the blow-dryer for too long!

After drying your hair upside down and on the sides, I like to loosely part my hair wherever I want to (I do mine on the side), and blow-dry it in that position as well. That way if any wet hair is lurking, you can find it :P.

After all that drying, here’s the finished product:
Image hotlink - 'http://i19.tinypic.com/7xb1c3n.jpg'

If you have some frizzy spots, just take some product one your finger tips and run it over the frizziness. Sometimes it helps to kind of “pull” the product across strands of hair… it helps define the curls.

Remember: try to avoid brushes unless you’re in the shower, and absolutely NO finger-combing, brushing, or combing past Step 2! :P

I hope this little tutorial helped some of you curly haired girls on your way to styling your hair!

Curl Power!
-Amy-Jo

93 Replies to How to Style Curly Hair: A Picture Tutorial

re: How to Style Curly Hair: A Picture Tutorial
By BooPopsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Thu Aug 16, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 02:56 AM
Wow great advice although I haven't got curly hair. Your hair looks amazingly pretty though!
By stageleftmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 34, member since Sat May 12, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 03:46 AM
That's a really great tutorial! Thanks a lot, my hair's really curly and I've been trying to find a way of keeping it looking good curly - I've become almost dependent on my straighteners and HATE doing it. Your hair looks beautiful :)
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 06:11 AM
Wow, your hair looks beautiful! Makes me wish I had curly hair, haha :)
By Caitlin_dance Comments: 145, member since Sat Jun 23, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17 AM
This needs to be a sticky, im so glad you mentioned this and what product to use. Although i do diffuse my hair, i never thought about finger combing or anything. By the way your hairs gorgeous! and thanks for the pictures too.
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:28 AM
I am officially jealous. You have AMAZING hair!
By superdancer1992member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 624, member since Fri Oct 28, 2005
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:14 PM
Well I have naturally straight hair but I just wanted to say i LOVE curly hair and yours is AMAZING! great tutorial too!
By Poshoedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1782, member since Fri May 12, 2006
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:51 PM
Great job on the tutorial. My hair is straight and I have such a difficult time getting it to curl, so this tutorial doesn't really apply to me. But you did a great job writing it and pictures are wonderful to illustrate what you do as well.

:)Poshoeda
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 02:21 PM
I LOVE this. I need this. :D You have no idea. My hair just recently decided it wanted to show its curly/waviness, and I'm still trying to experiment with ways to make it cooeprate. Thank you thank you thank you!

I smell a sticky..
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 02:49 PM
Wow, I feel so honored that people think this should be a sticky... I'm glad everyone likes it!

Now for a note that's actually about hair...
I forgot to put this in the original thread. You can also finger comb some leave-in conditioner (I like the Herbal Essences None of You Frizzness kind) into your hair right after you get out of the shower and dab some water out of your hair... this is great when you don't have time for much, but when your hair does get around to drying, your curls will be more defined than they would have been if you had just brushed your hair. :)

Also, I've found that if you do everything up to Step 2 and then just go to bed, the next morning my curls don't look half bad! A little more wonky than normal, but definitely workable.

-Amy-Jo
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 02:55 PM
My hair almost always turns out like the second picture. Frizzy and not at all pretty. I can't wait to try this out.
I must say you have the most amazing hair. Makes me want to steal it.
*runs to shower*
Sticky!
re: How to Style Curly Hair: A Picture Tutorial (karma: 1)
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 03:50 PM
I wish I had hair like that! My hair is curly, but it's a lot tighter curls (I'm African American, and my hair is kinda in the middle in terms of that type of hair), and, it's a heck of a lot thicker!

You do make some good points though, so hopefully some DDNers with hair that can be styled like that will now have a better idea of how to deal with their hair.
By kristie_bugmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1666, member since Tue Nov 16, 2004
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 04:48 PM
Wow your hair looks great. I have wavy/curly hair, but mine is short, and doesnt ever turn out like that. It looks like that when it gets closer to my shoulders though, and thats how I would wear it, too.

Great job on explaining the process. How expensive are hair dryers with diffusers, because all I have is a regular hair dryer and that just makes my hair poofy?

*Kristie*
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 05:03 PM
^Well, I think when I got my hair drier I just went to WalMart and looked for the cheapest one that came with a diffuser. :P The diffuser is detachable, and I'm not sure where you might find one separately, but you might be able to look a Sally Beauty Supply and a diffuser sold separately. Mine came with my hair drier, and I think the whole thing cost between $15 and $20? Something like that. I would just check around at WalMart and Target, and sometimes they have them on sale.

-Amy-Jo
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 05:56 PM
Thank you so much! I have a ton of curly hair, and it always ends up looking like the first picture. I was always brushing my hair, thinking it was the way to go to get tangles out, but your way makes so much more sense.
By lovexdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 95, member since Tue Dec 18, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 07:20 PM
This is wonderful! I have curly hair that most definitely needs taming! ^.^ I'm going to try this, and if it works I'll be one happy girl! It'd be easier than getting my hair straightened all the time. :)

Thanks for posting this!
By Yvonnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3624, member since Sat Dec 04, 2004
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:53 PM
WOW awesome post. I have board straight hair but this will be shown to my friend whom we call "curly fry".

I vote Sticky.
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Sun Dec 30, 2007 08:34 PM
My hair is just like your's, just not as long. I do the EXACT same thing that you do. Except I go to bed afterwards!

I've found a mousse that I LOVE. It's Garnier Fructis' for curls. I have really soft bouncy shiny ringlets when I use it. It's amazing.

Really good post! It made me want to wear my hair curly instead of straight all the time!
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:56 PM
I have EXTREAMLY curly hair thats in layers right now the shortest being around my shoulders the longer parts being toward the middle of my back.

And I just thought I would add that something I found that works really well is I do not shampoo my hair everyday. I also use a leave in deep conditioner and i shampoo my hair every two days (This only really makes a diffirence if your like me and you wash your hair everyday).

And i dont blow dry it unless its really cold out.

Umm... the products I use are the Treseme(sp?) curl mouse and the Panteine Pro V (SP?) Curl gel and I really really like them both.

I NEVER EVER EVER brush my hair unless I am in the shower with conditioner in it or when my hair is dry and I brush it its to put it in braids... to go to sleep. haha.
By LovinIrishDancinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 644, member since Tue Feb 07, 2006
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 04:08 AM
Iv very straight hair.. and would often love some curls hehe!! Just like to say what gorgeous hair you have..and its great to be so proud of it, you look stunning!
By judy007 Comments: 1435, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 07:54 AM
OMG :O
I really needed this and wanna thank you so much for your help. :D
Lately i've been straightning my hair loads as i had it cut and every time i seem to have my hair curly it just bobs up and would LOVE long hair like yours....
Thats why im trying to grow it haha. :P
OK,
SHOWER TIME FOR ME! LMAO :P
Thanks so much again this has helped loadssss.. :)

Sophie x
By AAbattery Comments: 46, member since Sat May 26, 2007
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 08:35 AM
Great post, thanks! My hair is naturally wavy, but gets curly with the right kind of "help." I'll definitely try your tips.
By OvertheOcean Comments: 2516, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 02:58 PM
Yay! I have curly hair that's slightly more ringletty than yours (although probably just because it's shorter) and I do exactly the same thing! I rarely blow dry my hair though, just because I don't have a diffuser and I'm too lazy anyway. After washing my hair, I scrunch in a leave-in conditioner (usually one from Herbal Essences or Garnier Fructis) and let it all air dry, then I twist it into a clip on the tip top of my head and go to bed (since I shower at night). In the morning I take it down and scrunch in some more leave-in conditioner and I'm ready to go!
I also have bangs, so with those I twist them into a barrette and in the morning I take them down, wet them, blow dry them, and straighten them.
This is a great post, your hair is beautiful!
By irishdancer113member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1706, member since Sat Dec 07, 2002
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:52 PM
Oh man, I just tried this method, and my hair looks better than I ever thought it could!

Thank you so much, this is an awesome post!
re: How to Style Curly Hair: A Picture Tutorial (karma: 1)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:59 PM
Amy Jo,

I have similar hair...another thing that works for me is if I go to bed with my hair freshly washed the way you describe, when I wake up in the a.m. it's has big fat bouncy curls.

I have a special comb (wide teeth) that I use to work the conditioning through my hair when it's wet. When my hair is dry, if I feel compelled to fluff it, I pat it with water after with my damp hands. I often do it throughout the day as well.

have you ever used a rest room in public, washed your hands, and found nothing to dry your hands on? I rub my damp hands on my hair. Weird, but it helps de-frizz my hair throughout the day. :D
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatchDraw