Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: How to Style Curly Hair: A Picture Tutorial
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33 AM
I use Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Cream. :)
If I don't want to take the time to use that, I just finger comb some Herbal Essences None of your Frizzness Leave In Conditioner in.

-Amy-Jo
By balletismylife93 Comments: 331, member since Sun Aug 20, 2006
On Tue Mar 04, 2008 06:36 PM
Oh my gosh! Thank you for posting this! My hair is naturally curly and is such a pain to style. It likes to be frizzy too. I'm going to try this hopefully tomorrow night(I already straightened it tonight. ha ha) A few questions:

1. Can you still get the same results using a shampoo with a conditioner already in it?

2. Is there anyway (already than what you've suggested) to keep your hair from frizzing while in a ponytail?

Once again, thanks for doing this post! Karma!!

Curly Power!
~Kayla~
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Thu Mar 06, 2008 09:29 PM
Thanks Kayla! :)

1. For me I need lots of conditioner in my hair, so a 2 in 1 doesn't work for me. But that's just me and my hair. You saw how much there was! It depends on how much hair you have, how naturally oily it is, the texture, etc. I would just try it our and see what happens.

2. Ponytails... well, the only time I wear ponytails is for ballet when I do a bun, and I slick mine so tight with water and hairspray that it doesn't have a choice to frizz... heh. For everyday ponytails though, I think if your hair is curly you're probably going to have some frizz in a ponytail no matter what.

However, there are some things that will help a bit. First, try not to force your hair to be smooth in the ponytail... let the curls be where they will be, even if you think it's "bumpy" or whatever.. it's not bumpy, that's curly hair. :) Secondly, the most frizzy parts for me in ponytails are the little baby hairs right around your hairline. You can either hate these or embrace them, and I choose to embrace them. Put a bit (just a weensy) of styling wax/cream/whatever you use onto your finger tips, and pull the baby hairs through your fingers. This will group them together making a united little curl. It will probably stick out a bit, but just go with that... if the curl wants to go that way, let it. It will look natural. Repeat on the other baby hairs. You can also put a weensy bit of product on other frizzy parts of the ponytail too, and that will help.

But like I said, ponytails are bound to be frizzy at some level. Just go with it!

-Amy-Jo
By divadancer6 Comments: 126, member since Thu Aug 03, 2006
On Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:17 PM
wow you dont know how much this has helped me!
i have curly hair but i never knew how to make the most out of it! it would always go frizzy!
thankyou so much!
divadancer
By ActingBunheadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1883, member since Thu Oct 26, 2006
On Fri May 02, 2008 11:17 PM
*sigh* I love your hair. I'm jealous.
My hair is stick straight, but because my mom has curly hair mine tends to frizz a bit.

Good job with getting a sticky!
Oh yeah, oh yeah. I know her. haha. :P
By dancingartistic Comments: 34, member since Sun Apr 06, 2008
On Fri May 09, 2008 06:14 PM
Omgosh. Thanks so much! I have hair just like yours.. dude I wish I had done your steps this morning... I totally forgot to add definer and so my hair is just a frizzy curly haired ponytail right now. Baha, luv your hair. Beautiful. Now I wish I had left my hair long. haha.
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1104, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Wed May 14, 2008 06:35 PM
I have pinstraight hair, but my twin sister has really curly hair, I should get her to try that.
By vballmonkey433 Comments: 85, member since Sat Apr 28, 2007
On Sat May 24, 2008 07:49 AM
Thank you for posting this. I too have curly hair-and it is such a hassle sometimes! I'll definitely refer to this when I'm having hair trouble. Your hair looks beautiful!
By danzadancer2285 Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 11, 2007
On Sat May 24, 2008 02:04 PM
I really wish I had curly hair now. You made me jelous... ;)

Great post Jo!
By courtney_baybee Comments: 13, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:51 PM
Edited by courtney_baybee (203072) on 2008-10-15 12:52:51
i am so jelous :( x.
you havee suchh greattttttt hairrrrrr :D x.
By Mellii Comments: 119, member since Mon Oct 20, 2008
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 02:47 PM
Haii,

I just tried this and it's awesome!

I feel real beautiful. Thanks for giving us curly chicks a way to style our hair!

Curl power! :D
Love,
Mellii
By dancintoezmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 262, member since Tue Feb 10, 2004
On Sun Nov 30, 2008 09:11 AM
nice good advice im def gonna try that with my curly maine lol
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Wed Jan 07, 2009 06:33 PM
Your hair looks absolutely stunning. It reminds me of the little mermaid. haha :D
By Elphie172 Comments: 61, member since Thu Jan 08, 2009
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 03:15 PM
I love your hair. This is good advice.
By TapHappyGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 242, member since Sun Aug 31, 2008
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:00 AM
yeah.. I have very curly hair. and unfortunately it's very thick which makes it hard to deal with...
and also I have very sensitive skin.. so I can only use certain hair products..
but I'll definitely have to try this. :)
By dramaqueen18 Comments: 120, member since Sun Jan 18, 2009
On Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:04 PM
Thank you for sharing how to style curly hair :)
By HelloThereHunn Comments: 51, member since Mon Jul 28, 2008
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:31 AM
This is exactly how I do my hair!!! Now I know where to direct people when I can't explain it right HAHA thankyou!!!
By TapStar2 Comments: 920, member since Thu May 26, 2005
On Wed Mar 04, 2009 06:00 AM
amazing thank you so so much xxx
By dancerocks22 Comments: 843, member since Tue Mar 24, 2009
On Tue May 05, 2009 08:32 PM
CURL POWER!!! lol

Great post! I have curly hair and straighten it almost everyday. But I find that if I go to sleep with my hair still a little damp, it drys and looks great, compared to if I let dry completely before I go to bed.

And, by the way, you have beautiful hair!
By dancethemomentX7 Comments: 144, member since Sun Mar 09, 2008
On Mon Jun 22, 2009 07:48 PM
You have gorgeous hair!! I am jealous. :] I have super extra curly hair, my hair routine is pretty similar to yours but it never looks that good :[

Anyways, go curly hair! I think too many people nowadays think straight is the only way.
By AshztnGrl Comments: 13, member since Thu Jun 11, 2009
On Fri Jun 26, 2009 03:45 PM
Hey thanx soooooo much sometimes I have the hardest time keeping it curly. I'll keep that in mind the next time I curl my hair.
By DANGimDaNcInG Comments: 30, member since Wed Jul 15, 2009
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 PM
Do you have to have natural curly hair because I have waves in my hair and it didn't work when I tried to do that...I even used moose and hairspray and all sorts of things but none of it worked...HELP!
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 06:09 PM
^When it comes to trying to make your hair look curlier or enhancing what you already have, less is more. Less product, less touching it, less towel drying, less brushing, etc. If your hair doesn't have much natural curl, there's not much you can do to help that. Maybe it would work better for you if you had a spray serum or a de frizzing serum to use instead of a cream? That might be lighter and might encourage texture. One thing that that definitely will NOT help is adding more product. "Oh, maybe if I add mousse... oh, I'll add some spray gel. Okay and some hairspray." That will only make your hair look crunchy and weigh it down! Less is always more. Try out some different products and let us know what you discover! :)

-Jo
By Lauren_xo Comments: 261, member since Sat Mar 14, 2009
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 06:39 AM
I have long curly hair, sometimes its a right pain i usually just tie it back or put mousse in it! Good advice though.
x
By Ellen_Eliz Comments: 1090, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 06:56 PM
I have to tell you, I have thick curly hair and it's difficult to manage. I decided to grow mine out long (not quite as long as yours, but long for me!) to weigh down the curls.

It really makes a difference. Like, the difference between an afro and pretty curly hair.

Through the years, I've found my own routine for my hair, and I do a lot of things similar to you. The no-brush and comb-in-the-shower rule applies to everyone, definately! I've found I like air-drying better than using a diffuser, but a diffuser does do great things (compared to a regular blow dryer) for curly hair.

Great advice, gorgeous hair!

:) Ellen (pointeplease)
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatchDraw