Popular Teachers

Would love some help sorting out a concept by MissAlice
Hello all, hope you are enjoying your summer! I have a lyrical concept that I just can't seem to...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
How many releves and eleves is considered 'good'? en>fr fr>en
By SilverStar121 Comments: 51, member since Sun Dec 30, 2007
On Fri Jan 04, 2008 03:58 PM
Edited by SilverStar121 (189845) on 2008-01-04 15:59:40

What I means is, how many should I be able to do in a row to actually be making a difference in my strength and ankle flexibility? Also, how many should a good dancer be able to do? Thanx

8 Replies to How many releves and eleves is considered 'good'?

re: How many releves and eleves is considered 'good'? en>fr fr>en
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:02 PM
well, if you're doing releves and eleves correctly, the you should begin to feel your calves working and they'll probably get cramped up if you do them long enough. there really is no "certain number" of releves you are supposed to do. it all depends on your own personal level of strength. even professionals are always striving to be better and do that one extra turn or leap or eleve that means that they have beaten themselves.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9080, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:31 PM
Pointeprincess5 is right. It is not about the number you can do.

Some people have strong legmuscles, but can't do 50 releve because coordination between those muscles is also involved, or just because the muscles are trained in a different way. Releve is new to them.

Some people have untrained legs, but with a little effort they can quickly do 50 releve because their total condition is well.

People are all different. Some will gain a lot of strength when going from 0-50 releve. Others need to go from 0-200 before their muscles respond the way is wanted.

I can do 200 situps, but my body doesn't show.
My friend only needs to look at a gym and her muscles start strengthening. Hormones are involved (and more internal stuff).

It's not about numbers, it's about progress. When you can do 100 releve but stop training for more, after 1 month you can still do 100 releve. You became 0% stronger.
When you are going from 0-100, after 1 month you are 100% stronger! And you will feel the different in your legs!
By Limber Comments: 124, member since Fri Dec 01, 2006
On Sat Jan 05, 2008 01:33 PM
Edited by Limber (171045) on 2008-01-05 13:38:47 mention MA
SilverStar121 wrote:

What I means is, how many should I be able to do in a row to actually be making a difference in my strength and ankle flexibility? Also, how many should a good dancer be able to do? Thanx

Unlike dumb muscle building, ballet emphasizes finesse, poise, balance etc if you focus on the numbers you will probably neglect these other points.

My suggestion (I'm no expert just a beginner myself, but I do numerous exercises of all types) is to get a large mirror and focus very very hard on doing releves CORRECTLY, and there is a lot involved in that, timing, symmetry, balance etc.

Once you can do them correctly, with control, smoothness etc, then see what your limit is, it is this limit that will set your goals.

If you can only do say 25 very well then they begin to falter (shaking, losing balance etc) then that is your limit I would say.

Of course if you disregard grace, poise, balance, etc and just focus on number you may be able to do 100, but in reality you can only do 25 REAL releves (in my example).

Everyone has different limits and you need to spend time finding these, these personal limits are what you should use to set your goals.

So if you were indeed able to do 25 very good releves, then you could make your next goal 30 and strive to reach 30 very good releves, it may take a week or a month but you are then focusing on correctness, alternatively you may be able to do 25 very well, but find that turnout is weak, so you would then focus on doing 25 with better turnout, as you can see the point that I am trying to make is that the repetitions is just ONE aspect of these exercises and this is true for ballet far more that other activities (martial arts are similar but with combat it is the efficacy of your skills at protecting you/harming the opponent that are the true measure; someome may be able to do fifty very fast pucnhes, but if they are weak they will not stop an opponent or may give that opponent a slight time window they can use to counter attack - just as in ballet, in martial arts 'correctness' is absolutely vital).

I think the focus on number stems from a misconception about exercise, too often these days it is intensity alone that people dwell on rather than the overall "quality".

As I say I'm no expert here, so others please correct me if you think I am talking BS.
By bendytwigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Sat Jan 05, 2008 02:57 PM
uhm... what is an eleve???
For me personally 30 was as far as I could push myself a couple years ago, now I'm up to 50. It doesn't really matter who many you do, just do them untill you feel the burn. Like others have said everyone's bodies are different so you can't really put a number out there and say it's good for everyone.
By Guyenne Comments: 619, member since Fri Sep 10, 2004
On Sat Jan 05, 2008 03:07 PM
The standard definition at my school now is that releve is when you plie before rising to demi-pointe, and eleve is when you simply rise to demi-pointe.
By bendytwigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Tue Jan 08, 2008 06:17 PM
Ohh I see. Every where I've taken class I've heard both referred to as releve.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4556, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 AM
Keep in mind that "going for the burn" (quantity)means nothing if you are not doing the releve or eleve neatly and with proper technique (quality). It's better do only eight releves or eleves cleanly and neatly and with correct technique. If you go for one hundred and don't use correct technique, all you'll develop is big calf muscles. Do releve to quick music so that you'll do the exercise with a little spring, and do eleve to slower music so that you'll do the exercise rolling up onto pointe.

Again, go for quality rather than quantity. No matter how many releves or eleves you do, remember too to stretch your calf and Achilles tendon when you finish the exercise to release the tension that builds up in them.
By prettypinkpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 232, member since Fri Mar 17, 2006
On Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:26 PM
I definitely agree with everyone else's comments, but if you want a number so you don't slack off (that's what I always do. Pretend in my mind that 10 is enough because I don't know the 'required' amount) a good amount is double your age. This would vary from person to person regarding strength etc but (correct me if i am wrong) this is what Australian Ballet School does and it has reduced the injuries on lower leg muscles at their school by 25%
Try to do this exercise on a step so you can go below parallel between each rise to decrease the risk of tendinitis. Also do not force yourself into this number of rises, go easy on your body, and use your number just as an average. A good idea would be to try to work up to that number over a few weeks/months.

Hope this helped you a little bit!
xxx

ReplySendWatch