Forum: General / Ballroom / Tango

Tango
Ballroom or no ballroom. A desicion I need to make. HELP!!!
By dancingirl988 Comments: 92, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Sun Jan 06, 2008 02:28 PM

I love ballroom. I think all the moves they do are amzing. And I would love to do it. And this may sound weird but I have been practicing with my refrigerator. And Im pretty young(11). Well not young im in my preteen years but Ithink Im to young for ballroom. And my studio only allwos ballroom for teens and adults. What do I do?? Do I find another studio or wait untill Im 14?

7 Replies to Ballroom or no ballroom. A desicion I need to make. HELP!!!

re: Ballroom or no ballroom. A desicion I need to make. HELP!!!
By Ellsmum Comments: 550, member since Sun Sep 30, 2007
On Mon Jan 07, 2008 05:06 AM
You can never be too young - my daughter started at the age of 4 and amazes me how quickly she picks the dances up!

I recommend you look around your area at different dance schools and definitely visit a few before you make up your mind! There are different examining boards that teachers are qualified for offering different options. You can learn socially or work towards exams - different boards offer different difficulty levels at varying prices. And if you want to compete it works differently for different boards. Sopme you would compete with a some age partner - and judged as a couple, but Ellen dances for the IDTA where you are partnered by an adult and they are solely judging the child.

Take your time and teachers will gladly show you around the school and discuss their particular syllabus with you. The younger you start the better and it is crazily addictive once you get going - keep practising with that refridgerator for now but I don't think they'll allow it at a competition!!!!

Good luck and let us all know when you've started dancing!!!
By JLCDance Comments: 16, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Tue Jan 15, 2008 06:30 PM
Go for it there are hundreds of youngster out there dancing ballroom. The younger you start the beter you get. Find a school that dose childrens classes I promise you'll love it I started at 3years and now I teach and am an Adjudicator and Examiner.
By Mrs_Tracy Comments: 65, member since Sat Jul 07, 2007
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 07:07 AM
Since you say "your studio" I assume you are dancing already, just not ballroom. I think there is something to be said about waiting to get what you want. You don't need to do it all right now. If your studio is training you well in other dance forms and you are happy, then wait til you are 14 to begin ballroom. Enjoy where you are and be excited for what is next.

If you are not happy and want to change studios then start looking. Don't jump too quickly or you may end up worse off. If you have extra time and are going to stay at your current studio but have more time for ballroom, you may want to take ballroom elsewhere for now and keep going to your current studio for what you are currently taking. I would probably discuss it with your teacher or studio owner so you aren't stepping on any toes when you do it.
By Lindup Comments: 49, member since Mon Nov 19, 2007
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 03:43 AM
At the comps the biggest age groups tend to be 6-8 rosette and 9-10 Stardance and from our experience the same goes for class sizes, after that the numbers tend to start dropping off as the youngsters get into boyfriends/girlfriends or deside to concentrate on their academic studies so certainly your not too young and as your dance school does not offer Ballroom classes for someone of your age I'm sure they would have no issues with you going to a second school to start learning Ballroom and Latin. The younger you are the easier it is to pick things up generaly so if you feel the desire for a new challenge go for it :)
By danceattack_roz Comments: 32, member since Sat Dec 29, 2007
On Mon Feb 25, 2008 04:34 AM
If you really love ballroom, you should either talk to your dance school, or go investigating, and see if they're are any dance schools in the local area that take on your age group.
By Babs_x Comments: 309, member since Sat Mar 01, 2008
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 06:19 AM
I started doing ballroom when i was 6

I'm sure you could find another studio very quickly

Its up to you tghough

xx
By dancephilosopher Comments: 3, member since Sun Mar 02, 2008
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 01:01 PM
well i think it very much depends on what you like to do. for example if you like big places, small rooms, you could easily know if you are really for dance or even what kind of dance. good luck.

ReplySendWatch