Popular Irish

Shoes stolen! Lock your car by kate_monster
So I made the mistake of leaving my shoe bag in my car (have class 2 days in a row and use sneakers...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
what do you do in grade 3 RAD? en>fr fr>en
By mango_ballerina Comments: 51, member since Wed Dec 19, 2007
On Mon Jan 07, 2008 04:58 AM

Hello. I went to the dance studio last year and it went well.. the teacher is very nice and accomodating.. I went to the studio again last Jan. 5 and the teacher let me observe her class and they were dancing 'free movement' then 'character' and after that, classical ballet but I didn't get to see the classical ballet part because I had to go.. well, the class that she is teaching is in grade 3 but they are also somehow beginners.. some of them started 2 years ago (the oldest is 14, i think).. the teacher said that i will be placed in her grade 3 class, and since I have a little bit of dance background (hiphop and jazz) the teacher said i would be able to catch up with them just fine (I hope so.. i'm not that confident) I was just wondering, what do you do in grade 3?

i would really appreciate your help. :) i'm kinda nervous.. my first ballet class starts on the 12th of Jan., I would be dancing twice a week.. :)

7 Replies to what do you do in grade 3 RAD?

re: what do you do in grade 3 RAD? en>fr fr>en
By Lovetodance15 Comments: 67, member since Mon Dec 24, 2007
On Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:46 AM
Wow this sounds quite like me at the moment! I am 15 and I have just started RAD grade 3 ballet, well a month or two ago. Most of my class is much younger than me, like 9-11 years old but there are two other girls who are about 13 and 14.

I had only had about a terms worth of ballet experience before I joined and I also have previous dance experience (modern and street). As for what you do, I find I pick up the work quite quickly but you have to spend alot of time perfecting it. The free movement we do is easy, and the bar work is ok. I find that the hardest thing for me is the basic ballet knowledge that I lack, the french words and my turnout isn't the best either.

Hope this helps a little.
xx
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 04:38 AM
Thanks for telling me that LoveToDance15! It helped me know some things! well, my turnout isn't the best either, that's for sure! :) It seems that I must learn some basic terms in ballet so I could catch up just fine! :)
By Katedancer Comments: 129, member since Thu Jan 01, 2004
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:19 PM
Hi,
as an RAD teacher, I just want to congratulate you older teens for sticking out ballet class with younger children, it really does pay off to commence ballet from the very beginning so as to not leave gaps in your classical training.
The RAD Grades syllabus is divided into 3 sections, the first is classical and in Grade 3 the following steps are learned at the barre: plies in 1st, 2nd and 3rd position, battements tendus, battements glisses, rond de jambe a terre, battements fondus, developpes devant, grands battements. In the centre we learn ports de bras, tendus & demi detournes, classical walks, changements, balance de cote, pas de chat, and an exercise for grand allegro.
The Free movement section has a relaxation exercise and also two travelling steps, and the Character section is based on folk dance, but has been choreographed for the stage using dance styles such as Polonaise, Czardas, Krakowiak etc, as seen in ballets such as Coppelia. The style of character dancing in RAD Grade 3 is Russian.
For the Examination, students in addition to the set exercises, also dance a set study in either the Classical or Free Movement style, and a set character study.
Students wear a leotard and waistband, with either ballet tights or socks and ballet shoes for Classical and Free Movement and black canvas character shoes and a calf length circular skirt decorated with ribbons for character.
My advice for your first class would be although the other children may be quite a bit younger, if they have been dancing for many years since they were small you may be surprised by their capability! If you find an exercise complicated, try learning the footwork first with your hands placed on the waist and then gradually bring in the ports de bras when you are comfortable with the steps. If you are unsure of something, don't be afraid to ask - that's what teachers are there for! It is also helpful to practise at home, as well as working on your flexibility and turnout as often as you can.
Best of luck with your first class this Saturday!!
By RileyA Comments: 2914, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 AM
The average age of a grade 3 RAD child would be 9-10 years old. But these kids would have begun ballet around the age of 4 or 5 years old. So no it isn't a beginner level in that most of these kids would have done ballet for 4-5 years. But as an older teen coming in you should be able to learn much faster and compress the things they learned in several years at the ages of say 5, 6, 7 into 1 or 2 years.
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 03:17 AM
Katedancer: thank you so much! you really helped a lot! :D and yes, they are much younger than I am(i'm 16) they are 10yrs. old.. I think.. but it's a small class with only few students so I think it would be fine.. :D thank you again! :)

RileyA: yes the students are 10 yrs. old but there is also a beginner there(14 yrs old) who started a year or two ago. :D thanks! :)
By ballet2533member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 93, member since Tue Jan 02, 2007
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 04:51 AM
your lucky,I was sixteen and was put into a intermediate class/intermediate foundation class which is like I think grade 6.I didnt struggle with the dancing just a bit with combinations and bits of barre work.
Good luck with your class.looking forward to how it goes tomorrow! :)
By BalletGodess95 Comments: 105, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Sun Jan 20, 2008 03:23 PM
you do barre, center, free movement, and character. Its all set work...so its easy to catch up quickly. im 12 and im in grade 6

ReplySendWatch