Poll: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: Overused song at competitions?
By IDSgirl77 Comments: 12, member since Fri Nov 28, 2008
On Sun Jan 18, 2009 09:12 PM
my studio is doing a dance this year to all overused competition dances (on purpose) just to make them look really good when we do them haha
By ballet_babe_sash Comments: 424, member since Fri Dec 29, 2006
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 04:38 PM
Work me Down is sooooo overused, just like Popular!
But I guess if you really want to dance to it...?
By xohaleydances Comments: 9, member since Mon Oct 13, 2008
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 03:13 PM
popular! i've heard it about 10 times in one weekend.
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 04:44 PM
Colorblind
Wildhorses
Work Me Down
I Want to be a Rockette
Im Cute

My studio uses some pretty unknown songs, which I guess is pretty nice and refreshing. :D
By missdance95 Comments: 45, member since Wed Jul 09, 2008
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 AM
me too! it was my MT solo last year, oh gosh I run away when its on!
By dancer1995 Comments: 4, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:23 PM
-lady marmalade
-diamonds are a girls best friend
-any hairspray songs
-big noise
-baby im a star
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 23, 2010
On Thu Jun 24, 2010 02:16 PM
"Strongest Suit" - too many times to count!
"Slow Me Down" - Good Lord! I I only had a dollar for every time I heard that one!
"Baby I'm A Star" - Waaaayyyy too overused.
"All That Jazz" - I still like it but would be annoyed if I had to dance to it.
"Big Noise" - hate the muffled version, but there's a nicer version out there that is cute
"Show-off" - Cute, cute, cute song. But are we sick of it? YES!
"Omigod You Guys" - AHHHHH! Drives me nuts every time I hear it!
"River Deep, Mountain High" - Personally I don't even think it's that great of a song!
"Gravity" - uggggghhhhhh!
"Hallelujah" - any version is annoying
By SinatraAngel Comments: 86, member since Thu Jun 17, 2010
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 02:51 PM
UGH! Material Girl! *stabs ears* I can't STAND that song anymore. And they always wear PINK! Ugh!
By gustafsg Comments: 4, member since Sun Nov 01, 2009
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 AM
Someone wrote an article about overused dance songs:

www.associatedcontent.com . . .
By Hotchette Comments: 33, member since Sat Jan 15, 2011
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:39 PM
I haven't heard a lot of these songs in Australia for our comps to be honest. I think the most overused songs would be Proud Mary, Think, Reflection from Mulan and Jailhouse Rock

Comment #9473062 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-03-08 09:13:53 Ooops double post

By BrashDancer Comments: 276, member since Sat Nov 27, 2004
On Tue Mar 08, 2011 08:52 AM
AHhh Over used songs...If you've heard it 5+ times in one year, please dont use it for next year. A few years a go when " my Immortal" was popular, I wanted to stuff cotton in my ears for every lyrical catagory because it would play over and over again.

Funny story. 3 years ago I was working with a convention/competition that did 20+ cities. This one particular year we did not get through a competition without hear "Rahmalama" and "candyman" at LEAST 2 times each. It became the joke amongst the Staff of the convention. When you get to listen to the same song over and over again, it makes for a very long weekend!
By mmpartee Comments: 23, member since Mon Feb 14, 2011
On Tue Mar 08, 2011 09:55 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-03-10 09:39:06 Removed outside link
Indeed, over-used songs are the bane of competition judges and all the families and friends attending. But what to do about it?

First of all, the best bet is to keep your ears open and always be on the lookout for great songs that aren't in the mainstream. But if a teacher is intent on using a popular song, then the best thing you can do is to find an alternative version of it. It can actually be quite striking if you can find another version of the song done in a completely different style.

Here are three great alternatives to the over-used "It's Raining Men" and all three are very different than the tired-out original version:

Velvet Voices (all female a cappella): itunes.apple.com . . .
Dopledare Big Gang (world): itunes.apple.com . . .
Rachelle Spring (soulful jazz): itunes.apple.com . . .

As my girlfriends' studio heads into its competition season this weekend, I will continue to post alternative versions of overplayed dance competition songs on the Squirrel Trench Audio blog:

~Morriss Partee
Squirrel Trench Audio
By fabflamingo Comments: 3, member since Mon Mar 14, 2011
On Mon Mar 14, 2011 02:43 PM
Hahaha I hear all these songs all the time! Another one you could have done is fabulous from high school musical 2. I hear that song all the time!
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 23, 2010
On Mon Mar 28, 2011 03:01 PM
This weekend I heard Black and Gold four times in one category. That song has never done anything to me whatsoever! Jar of Hearts, too! Everybody also felt the need to dance to Amazing Grace, Hallelujah, The Moment I Said It, and The Pieces Don't Fit!!!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2011 08:56 AM
Mommy Complex.

Honestly, if you're dancing in the under 14 category at competitions I'd rather not know if someone had a Mommy Complex about you!
By playmaker93 Comments: 14, member since Sat May 21, 2011
On Mon May 23, 2011 01:44 PM
this year the winner has to go out to Jar Of Hearts!! Great song but too bad sooooo many people use it!
By Mariss1 Comments: 8, member since Sat Jul 02, 2011
On Sat Jul 02, 2011 05:32 PM
I would have to go with Black and Gold, work me down or river deep. I think at all of the competitions I went to this year I must have heard each of these songs at least 5 times!
By ooglybooglymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 67, member since Fri Jun 24, 2011
On Wed Jul 06, 2011 09:35 PM
Show Off, Hallelujah, All That Jazz. I've actually only ever seen Defying Gravity used one at my recital.
By mondar Comments: 22, member since Mon Dec 13, 2010
On Thu Aug 11, 2011 08:04 AM
We just did "pump up the volume" it was fun and the audience loved it. Oldie but goodie.
By iheartmy2dancers Comments: 36, member since Mon Nov 14, 2011
On Tue Jan 17, 2012 01:14 PM
If I hear "Mama, Im a big girl now" one more time.... AAAHHHH!! I know that a lot of brodway musical songs will continued to be over played every year but what do you think the most overplayed song/s will be for the 2011/12 dance season? My guess is Adele's "someone like you" or anything by her for that matter...
By squirreltrench Comments: 6, member since Wed Sep 07, 2011
On Tue Jan 17, 2012 01:26 PM
It's a safe bet that Adele will be seriously overused this year.

Really, it's sad to use something that everyone else is using and/or will have heard over and over again for music. There are hundreds of thousands of great songs out there waiting to be discovered and choreo'd.... fresh songs inspire fresh dance routines. That's all there is to it.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Jan 17, 2012 01:30 PM
All of the above. When I judge, I just HATE hearing the same things over and over.

I love it when a choreographer comes up with music that I have never heard or is rarely heard. My rule of thumb, when choosing songs is to use nothing that has been on the radio, in years and too look for unknown pieces. There is much out there.

For recital, that is different. Popular music makes the audience happy.
By squirreltrench Comments: 6, member since Wed Sep 07, 2011
On Tue Jan 17, 2012 02:18 PM
Good point, DreamChaser, and great to get your perspective as a judge. However, with today's tools, you can also create remixes of popular songs turning them into fresh versions of music that we are familiar with. For instance, I've created a Mary Poppins remix for a group tap routine, debuting in competition in 7 weeks, that uses songs we've all heard, combined with songs we've rarely heard, to make a completely fresh, unique, and highly original piece of music. I've also got a train remix, a Beatles remix, some a cappella remixes, and many more unique slants on familiar and not-so-familiar songs!

And it's not choreographers who come up with this stuff. It's *musicians*. :)
By JazzModernLife Comments: 4, member since Sat Jan 07, 2012
On Thu Jan 19, 2012 07:54 PM
rolling in the deep and someone like you!!!!!!!
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch