Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Belly dance pas de deux
By WidowSpiders
On Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:06 AM

How many of you are familiar with belly dance pas de deux? If so, what tips can you give others?

Example: Keep all those razor thin jingly coins OFF the back of your outfit if you're going to be jumping onto his waist backwards! The coins are very likely to flip up, and will slice his chest and waist open if they make contact. (We all learn things the hard way, don't we?)

2 Replies to Belly dance pas de deux

re: Belly dance pas de deux
By tybalt
On Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:39 AM
You mean this could happen if the male wears a shirtless costume or an open vest that leaves the front part of his chest free? I saw such a costume in pictures. I only watched very few belly dances live, nearly all of them were females only, one with cross-dressed males, but never a belly dance PDD which you apparently are referring to.
re: Belly dance pas de deux
By WidowSpiders
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:17 AM
Belly dance pas de deux is both similar and different than ballet pas de deux. My ballet instructor always said that the purpose of ballet pas de deux was for the male partner to be the picture frame to highlight and enhance the female partner's performance. In belly dance, that is similar, as it allows the female partner to exaggerate her skills. However, the purpose is very obviously to showcase the male belly dancer's strength and belly dancing skills too. Quite often, the female role is to better exhibit his skills instead of the more traditional ballet approach.

For example, in the above mentioned move, it allows the female partner the ability to body roll forward while wrapping her legs around his waist. She can then body roll down and forward so that her face nearly touches the ground and then results with the partner continuing the body roll upward when her roll has reached his hips. It's fabulous, and requires a very supple and strong male partner. Otherwise it's face plant time.

ReplySendWatch