Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Really stupid question about dance teams' role at football games....
By CodeRedDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 06:55 PM

Hey guys, I know this is a silly question, but I'm serious- For those of you who dance at football games, what is the general "routine" so to speak? In other words, how would a typical game go for you? How many dances do you do? Do you perform sideline dances?

This is for a team with no band, only a random guy in a sound booth who will press "play" on our CD, so i'm trying to figure out how to coordinate our games....Any advice would be a huge help!

5 Replies to Really stupid question about dance teams' role at football games....

re: Really stupid question about dance teams' role at football games....
By Terpsi
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 07:06 PM
Here's the Reader's Digest Version as I am in a hurry. If you have anymore questions, I'll elaborate. Feel free to ask.

1st quarter: arrive and sit in stands nicely (legs close, always looking like we're paying attention, ect.)
2nd quarter: continue "watching" the game and at some point (depending on how early you'd like to leave) leave stands and stretch/warm up/do any traditional cheers.
Halftime: perform one routine and watch politely the other team
3rd quarter: this is when we normally touch up makeup and use the restroom and/or continue to watch the game
4th quarter: continue watching and at the end of the game sing (or pretend to sing) the school song.

Throughout the game we usually do the fight song, but since you don't have a band I'm not sure how that would work out. We don't do sideline cheers because the cheerleaders do those. I hope that helps a bit. Like I said, I'm in a hurry but if you have any further questions- ask away!

Ashley
By RoyaletteCerramember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 18, 2008 02:01 PM
I know you said that this is for a dance team that dosen't have a band so I'll try to omit as much as that as possible.

Ist quarter- arrive in the stands after pregame performance, we usually don't sit cause we have to be ready at a moments notice and sometimes we haven't the slightest idea what we're doing. We mainly try to pain attention to the game and act all excited and scream and yell to show we're not some stuck ups

2nd quarter- same as first but we leave the stands anywhere between 5-10 minutes before halftime so we can take off our warm ups (if we have them) and readjust our body temperature, and stretch, and walk throught the routines atleast once.

Half time- preform and watch other team preform (just in case you don't know it is customery for the visiting teams "entertainment" to go first, it's really kind of common courtesy

3rd quarter- free time!!!!!! we get a snack and allowed to go into the students section and go to the bathroom

4th quarter- back in the stands, paying attetion (usually we're all sitting by now) and then we dance/sing/scream the school song (fight song if we win, alma mater if we lose; sometimes both if we lose)

Then we usually go back and dance at the schools fish fry!

Hope that helps
*CC*
By CodeRedDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:30 AM
Thanks for the responses! I think I need to clarify though- We are the "cheerleaders" for a semi-pro dance team, so we are more of an NFL style dance squad. Sitting in the stands is not an option for us, as we must be on the sidelines "cheering" the entire game.

So I guess my questions really are:

1) How many "sidelines" do you do?
2) Do you dance at every time out?
3) Do you have any pre-game rituals or routines?
4) When we aren't dancing, what else can we do to stay "alive" on the sidelines, since we do not stunt or anything of that nature?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 22, 2008 01:50 AM
There are no standards to go by. You just have to work the announcer and the athletic director to see how much time you can finagle. Some dance teams only perform one song during half-time, and other dance teams have more informal "stand routines" during the game but only do one formal performance during half-time. Still others perform on the sidelines throughout the entire game. There isn't really one answer to your question.
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 29, 2008 07:12 PM
At the college level, dancers are expected to stay in the stands or behind/or with the cheerleaders and cheer. You are part of a spirit team/squad. You do it all.

ReplySendWatch