Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Competition Soon
By slmdancer8
On Thu Jan 17, 2008 03:18 PM

So this weekend is our school's pom/dance squad competition and I am really working hard to get ready. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can prepare to build up my endurance and energy. Do you have any idea of what I can do? I also want to be sharper in my moves...

5 Replies to Competition Soon

re: Competition Soon
By CodeRedDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 18, 2008 06:01 AM
As far as building up endurance goes, there isn't much you can do now to build it up by this weekend. For the future, however, I would suggest cardio- Maybe jumping rope for 10-15 minutes before practice starts. Also, from my experience, if you always practice your dances FULL OUT every time, it will be much easier to get through it when you are on the floor and added factors such as nerves and adrenaline come into play!

Good luck this weekend!
By slmdancer8
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 06:53 PM
Oh My God! I am so excited we got first place squad and first place choreography!!! I was really surprized that I was not tired and had SOOO much energy!!
By CodeRedDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 09:32 PM
Wow, congrats!
By Fyrefly525member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 05:09 AM
If you'd still like some advice on helping with your sharpness in the future.

Doing some of the common pom movements like hi-v/low-v's, t, diagonals, etc. with 2-5 lb. weights, or full unopened soup cans in your hands.

My first year on my old dance team, we stood in our roll call lines and the dance officers would call out what they wanted us to do, and we did that for an hour straight. Our arms were sooooo dead afterward, but the next day we did thing soooo sharp and fast.
By slmdancer8
On Mon Feb 04, 2008 01:31 PM
Thanks I still have one more competition this weekend and I really want to work hard for next years try-outs. I know what you mean about the weights. One day the whole squad did the marching routine with them and then after the routine was so much better!

ReplySendWatch