Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Extensions?
By dancer_meggs
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 02:22 PM

Hey again, so I overheard this girl talking about what we have to do for tryouts and she said that the hardest part of tryouts are extensions, could somebody tell me what this is or show me a video. Help is greatly appreciated!

11 Replies to Extensions?

re: Extensions?
By guardgirl102
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 09:51 PM
Im not sure what an extension is in guard...maybe this person was talking about an extension used in dance, which is basically extending your leg. If you find out please let me know! Thanks!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:50 PM
I was wondering the same thing. But I don't think this is a dance extension. Guard terms often vary depending on region, and I think this is one of those times.
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 22, 2008 01:11 PM
I can only think of a dance extension as well, why dont you try asking one of the girls on the team to show you what it is they are probably alot more help since they know what it is lol.
re: Extensions? (karma: 1)
By salatrixx
On Wed Feb 20, 2008 06:33 PM
okay, first don't freak about the extensions. It is a simple move where you extend the flag out up in the air with your arm fully extended, then you let the flag drop behind your back and use it's momentum to get it back to where you started. I know this isn't the best descripition of an extension, but if you have trouble ask a senior or other upperclassmen. they are usually helpful. Good luck with tryouts!
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 27, 2008 01:02 PM
^ my guard calls those flourishes, I see now.
By dancer_meggs
On Wed Feb 27, 2008 01:59 PM
Are there any videos I can watch to see how to do these. I asked a girl at school and it sounds like what salatrixx said, but she really can't show me until the tryouts.
By Munki03
On Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 AM
It sounds like one of the very basic flag moves. If it is what I am thinking, other terms used may be: Backscracher, or Butterfly.
By poodlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 08, 2008 08:13 PM
^Yeah, I believe my guard calls them a backscratch.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 09, 2008 05:23 PM
You know what? You're right. I just remembered teaching a few guards who called backscratchers extensions. I don't know why I didn't remember that before now. Old brain syndrome.
By dancer_meggs
On Sun Mar 09, 2008 06:45 PM
I figured out what they are. Now I just need to pcik up speed and get my left hand used to it and the judges won't know what hit 'um! Hopefully not a flag...
By Colombian89
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 01:05 AM
To clear things up from what I know.
Extensions are done at a 45 with the arm extended and the flag going around at a 45 plane. Back-scratches stay in the toaster or in parallel with the plane of your body only the the rotation of the pole is done behind your neck. Flourishes are done to the side parallel with the body alternating between back and front....
I hope that makes sense at all. I had to pick up a sabre to figure out how i can possibly explain the difference.
If yall have different terms though I understand

ReplySendWatch