Poll: Irish / Irish

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
What's your favorite Irish dress bag?
By Celticdreams
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 08:51 AM

I do not own any dress bags as of yet, and I thought this would be a good way to find out what the Irish Dance community prefers. Are their any brands that tend to be made of a stiffer material. Are any of these bags water proof?

38 Replies to What's your favorite Irish dress bag?

re: What's your favorite Irish dress bag?
By GanAinmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 09:42 AM
I don't have one, but if I was purchasing one, I would definitely go for the Pennie Drew Snazzy Bags!
By BethanysMAIDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:31 AM
I like our simple bag which is made for a smaller dress and folds up really small from Celtic Creations.

We do have the Dancepod bag (see www.dancepods.org) which is very stiff (completely solid back) and has wheels and a handle to move it around. I imagine this would be perfect for putting in a hold on an aeroplane, but in general use is very heavy and the telescopic handle only fully extends which makes it too long to be easy to pull. Also the bag is so tall that when I hold it by the grab handle it drags on the floor so I have to lean when I carry it, and it won't stand up on end because of the wheels it will only stand at an angle on a velcro'd fold out stand. So in short if you fly a lot or want the ultimate protection for your dress, it is probably very good but as a bag to manage at feisanna it is a bit cumbersome - so we use ours for storing her old dress under the bed for which it is very expensive and still use our Celtic Creations bag!
By Harpdancer
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 01:15 PM
I have one of the Helen R. Doyle bags...they're great...nice, tidy and compact :)
By Celticdreams
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 03:02 PM
Here is the links for anyone that might need them. Any other additions would be greatly appreciated. :)

www.irishdancingbags.co.nz Helen R. Doyle

www.penniedrewdresses.com Pennie Drew

www.kelsocover.com Kelso Covers

www.antoniopacelli.com Antonio Pacelli
By jiggymommamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 05:11 PM
Helen Doyle's bags are amazing, although we have never had any other. They are so durable that it is probably the only bag we will ever need.
By Becca
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 05:24 PM
Heyyy.
I have one of Pennie Drew's snazzy bags! They arent as strong as some dance bags,but they are snazzy! lol I have the colorful hearts and dots one!

Becca ♥
By Celticdreams
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:15 AM
Hey I just found another site with Irish dress bags.
www.rkment.com

Does anyone own one of these? How would you rate them? Where do they ship from? What color do you own? :)
By foreverclovers
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:21 AM
Oops
I love my Helen Doyle bag but I clicked 'Other' before I realised 'Irish Dancing bags' was the same thing.

Had my bag for years and it has kept up great, at 18'' it fits in the overhead locker of the plane, so it works for me!
By ctfeismom
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 07:34 PM
My daughter has one. It's navy blue and she loves it. With her new solo dress, we had to get a full dress bag though. The sequins kept catching and putting pulls in it. We tried a cover, but it was a total pain, so she has a cover and full dress bag for her solo. She kept RKM bag for her team dress since my mom had the bag embroidered with her name. The full bag is a kelso cover.
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 01, 2008 02:51 AM
I have the Antonio Pacelli fold-over bag and it's great. The others look better, though, so I may get another one once my current bag has died (not likely to be soon though).
By Celticdreams
On Fri Feb 01, 2008 03:08 PM
Here is the lemon slices website.

www.lemonslicebagcompany.com . . .
By Irish_Danzer_NZmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 02, 2008 03:13 PM
The woman that made my dress also made me a dress bag that matches my dress so i quite like that! My dress is Black, White & Red and so is the dress bag and she even put my name and dance school on it. :P
But aside from that, i quite like the Helen Doyle dress bags
By Celticdreams
On Sat Feb 02, 2008 05:53 PM
Wow, that is soo cool that the dressmaker made you a matching bag for your dress. I bet it looks awesome. :)
By luv2jigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 05, 2008 07:20 PM
For the kelso covers, what is the difference between the "full/half bag" and the "Irish garment bag-single"?
By tracy16member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 07:39 AM
The lady who makes our school dresses also makes our dance bags. I actually have two bags. One is a full bag that i used to use for me school dress and solo dress. but my new solo dress is too long for the full bag (i have spikes on the bottom my dress and they get crushed) So I got a new one... its very similar to the Helen Doyle one except that it has to large pockets on both the front and back.
By reeldansr
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 09:07 AM
Luv2jig -

I currently have a full/half bag from Kelso. The full/half bag has the dowel on the inside to fold the dress over when you carry it, zip pockets on the outside, and handles and shoulder strap to carry. The Irish garment bag is just that, a garment bag. It doesn't have the dowel, or handles/pockets for accessories/shoulder strap/etc.

I have had my full/half bag from Kelso for about 6 years now, and it's still going strong. It's not a stiff or molded bag, but the material is heavy and it has been sturdy and extremely well-wearing these years. It says the nylon is water-resistant, but I've been to feisanna in pouring rain and my dress has stayed dry. If you're looking to carry your dress, I would recommend the full/half bag, because of the dowel, handles, pockets, etc. or the travel wedge that they have. The garment bag I would think you would just use as a cover over your dress to store it under the bed or something. You could carry it, but I think it would be a lot harder and more cumbersome.

Just my $0.02!

RD
By rincegirl723
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 05:30 PM
The bags from Kelso covers are great
By luv2jigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 06:01 PM
Thanks, reeldansr, I got the travel wedge from Kelso and I love it!
By SunnyPremium member
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 07:03 PM
My mom used a pattern from Irish Threads to make my dressbag and it's great. She altered a few things on the pattern (if you end up doing this PM me if you want the specifics) and I got to pick out the colors I wanted it to be (I got fabrics to match my dress). It was very affordable too. It's worth looking into.

www.irishthreads.com . . .
By TarynIDgirl
On Mon May 26, 2008 11:21 PM
Edited by TarynIDgirl (196785) on 2008-05-26 23:30:18 forgot to add something.
MY favorite is the one my mom made me, but sometimes wish I could trade it for one of the other ones she sells. she gets so many cool fabric colors!! she has a web site now sunshine-stitches.com
I'm U10 so all the other bags would drag when I carried them & were too heavy. my class & solo dress both fit inside and it is so light weight my 6 yr old sister carried it everywhere. my mom made her a little one so now I get to carry my own bag.(she makes any size) When we went to Oireachtas last yeart it fit easily through security and into the overhead on the plane..
By TarynIDgirl
On Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 PM
can you add my moms dress bags to your list? sunshine-stitches.com
By Andoria
On Tue May 27, 2008 12:29 AM
I love my celtic creations dress bag.
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 27, 2008 04:19 AM
i have 2, a stardard non stiffened lemon slice, which is for beginner dreses.
and my Helen Doyle which is increadable. i really trust it with my dress, and dont feel worried about it being squashed or anything, its so so awesome lol. and as mentioned, is perfect for overhead lockers on planes.
By dancingfool93
On Tue May 27, 2008 06:32 AM
I just got a dress bag from Connie's Creations. The bags are really well made, and they come in awesome fabrics! You can choose to get it waterproofed, and you can choose what color you want the lining to be. The girl is also very nice to work with! My dress bag is black and white zebra skin, waterproof, and has white lining!
conniescreation.com . . .

~dancingfool93
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch