Popular Ballet

Russian pointe vamp 1??? by pianistenpointe
Does anybody know where I might be able to find a pair of Russian Pointes with a vamp 1, without...

Forum: Disco / Disco

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Disco
How does dancing affect your kids school work? en>fr fr>en
By mrg72 Comments: 23, member since Thu Jan 24, 2008
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:41 PM

How do you think dancing effects your kids school work?

34 Replies to How does dancing affect your kids school work?

re: How does dancing affect your kids school work? en>fr fr>en
By mum2_3dancersmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4296, member since Tue Jun 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:48 PM
Edited by mum2_3dancers (95935) on 2008-01-24 14:54:56
Hi

Welcome to ddn, hope you enjoy the site its ace.

In answer to your question it doesn't affect their school work, for us school comes first and if there was even the slightest indication that it was affecting it at all then the dancing would have to be stopped or cut back on.

Take care

Tracy xx
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 03:05 PM
At least your one of the sensible ones all the moms i have met think dancing comes first then school work
xxxx
By elaina16member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 895, member since Mon Aug 14, 2006
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 03:17 PM
Edited by elaina16 (165043) on 2008-01-24 15:18:55 Typed my name twice
I am with Tracy on this. School is much more important. My oldest daughter has three hour of dance on one night, two hours on another and one hour another. Her homework gets done at the dance school before class since she is there early due to her sister dancing before her. If I at all saw their marks start dropping, some of the dance would have to go. They are both very dedicated to school and dance, and do strive to be the best at everything they do. As we all know only a select few can make a career out of dance, the rest of them will have great opportunities outside of dance to be amazing in the career they choose. We as parents need to make sure that the opportunities still exist after the dancing is done.

Elaina
By discodivachelsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2006, member since Thu Nov 24, 2005
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 03:37 PM
Heya

I have always insisted that Chelsey does her homework in advance when she can.
I love her to dance but i would also like to see her with a good career.
She is hoping to go on to uni to do her teachers degree but as already said she still wants to dance.
I do agree with Tracy and Elaina that no matter what school should always be a priority.

Love Lisa--x
By mydeesuperdanca Comments: 1770, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 03:47 PM
hi there

DANCING IS A HOBBY school determins the rest of their life as with my older two dance was used as a stress releif from school work and a small portion of time away from study doing something they loved in a different place.

dionne is only 5 and loves school gets all her homework done as soon as she gets in from school then she has her free time she dances three times a week and comps some sundays if when she is older and i felt she couldn't cope i would cut back on dance for school but if I do things the same this time round it should all fit in side by side.

karen xx
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 06:01 PM
It jut depends why you are dancing and whether it is going to be your future career
You can dance and also gain good exam results but it means sacrifices

Lala[now dances and entertains as a living] has always done well in her exams including GCSE's and danced everyday but Friday
She used to use the Library at lunch time for study and homework and also did homework between classes etc

Her friends were within dancing and sshe always enjoyed the Disco comps they were her fun side of dance

Mama DD's xxx
By danij1 Comments: 335, member since Fri Sep 21, 2007
On Thu Jan 24, 2008 06:20 PM
I agre wholeheartedly school is top priority,and dancing is a hobby, if for any reason she fell behind with school work and was struggling to juggle the two,dancing would have to be cut down,after all education is paramount and determines and gives opportunities for the future,If my daughter chose to have a career in dancing field when an adult fine,but having a good education will give her so many more choices.Danielle only dances 2 classes a week and private lessons before comps, I feel that is enough as i still want her to be a child and have the timne to do so
By taelyr08Premium member Comments: 1185, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:06 AM
ok don't shoot me!!!

I would rather my daughter danced than worry about school!! BUT
Taelyr has had problems all her life and never did well at school, her pychscologist (sp) advised us to get her a hobby that would take up time and energy and so we started dancing, she has been dancing now for 3 years. she is in primary 7 (she is 11) and this is the first year that she has done well at school, she got great reports, the head teacher came and spoke to me personally as they are so proud of her and they really encourage her to dance. From a personal point of view she would regularly have screaming fits, she didnt sleep, I was so tired and stressed because of it.

I would never stop her dancing and go back to that time!!

Ingrid
x
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:11 AM
Ingrid what a lovely reply

I am sure your daughter will carry on improving at school as she is enjoying her dancing and it will come out in other things

Good Luck to her in the future and I wish her well

Mama DD's xxx
By divadannimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3363, member since Thu Mar 17, 2005
On Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:41 AM
it doesn't my daughter always does school work first

then dancing and i think because its always been like that

she doesn't no any different and she fits both in very well

and we do a lot of weekender's and she still gets 98 % attendance

has been dancing for 5 years now and never lost time off school

because of dance
By sisterlylovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6049, member since Thu Jul 31, 2003
On Fri Jan 25, 2008 04:56 AM
Got to say whatever works for you as a family then thats what matters. Ive never had a problem with the girls school work both of them do really well at school so doesnt really affect me. Always say follow your heart as my eldest son was a really great scholar at school and they pushed him to stay on and take the academic route although after 6months he admitted that he wasn t happy and would love to try singing and musical performance! Dont know where it came from but we sat down as a family and that is what he did after completing a 3 year course with distinction hes now been offered a place for his degree in uni. I must say listen to your kids as Ian has one hell of a voice and self taught on guitar and piano and writes his own music so proud! Sorry to waffle! lmao lve Jo.xxxx
On Fri Jan 25, 2008 04:01 PM
Edited by mrg72 (190963) on 2008-01-25 16:03:47
heya
thanks for your comments they were really interesting..
i have four daughters two that do very well at school but do ok at dance..but my other daughters do ok at school but better at dance i think it depends on what the kids like the most.. I know some moms who attend every class and also do gymnastic lessons and ballet and also keep up to date with all there homework...
love sarah xxxx
By Boogiebabemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11640, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 03:22 AM
Hiya

School will always come 1st for Rhianne her education
is way more inportant than making a final!!

Rhianne loves to dance but also wants a career
when she leaves school!

Luv Lesley
xxx
xx
x
By VERA_JOANNES_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 72, member since Fri Jan 25, 2008
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 03:37 PM
Edited by VERA_JOANNES_MOM (191008) on 2008-01-26 15:39:49
Hello
i always ensure school comes first
joanne knows this and if she slacks because of this the dancing stops
especially coming up to joannes prelims and she'll be doing her standard grades in May so there will be no comps for her
although if she wants she can still attend classes during the week if shes up to date with her studying
joanne knows this herself and is happy with this agreement because she knows once there done she can go back to comps
school is more important:)
love
veronica
re: How does dancing affect your kids school work? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By followsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3638, member since Fri Feb 09, 2007
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 03:49 PM
Just to add a little more fuel to the fire, lol. I don't disagree that school is very important, but dancing is my daughters life. Its all she ever talks about. I always make sure she does her homework, but every spare minute she has is spent dancing and i am happy to support her in every way. Marie xxx
re: How does dancing affect your kids school work? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By dancacloe93member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 713, member since Mon Jul 31, 2006
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 03:53 PM
hey
I know for a fact that if my mom knew I had homework to do that was in for the next day and I was due to go dancing, she wouldn't let me go.
I'm in year 9 at school (14) and have anything from no peices to four peices of homework a night.

Sometimes if I have exams and my mom knows I haven't revised at all or as much as I could then she wouldn't let me go or would let me go for some of the night but not all night.
My mom has never stopped me from going to a comp, as i try and keep on top of my homework and do it the night it is set, but i think she would if she saw that i hadnt done any or if i needed to revise for an exam.

My schook work definately comes before dancing, or any other hobbies for that matter. It is always priority and I know I have to get it done and keep on top if it if I want to go dancing.

Sorry for the lecture!!!

Chloe xx
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 06:04 PM
As follows says and I said earlier just depends what your career is going to be

lala never missed any dancing[especially the theatre side] even having time off for it and auditions etc as that is what she wanted a career in dancing
She also did it for GCSE even though she did always put dancing first she managed to get 13 GCSE's at A* to C which is what you need for Uni

She now dances etc for her wotk

Mama DD's xxx
By divajade1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4782, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 06:17 PM
Hi
I agree 100% with Tracy
lisa x
By fordmax Comments: 33, member since Mon Dec 10, 2007
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 02:17 PM
Hi, my daughter is at primary, and we do sometimes have difficulty fitting in homework. It's not just because of dancing, there are visits to her dad (who doesn't 'do' homework)and orchestra, riding etc. I feel its important to show our children as much of the world as possible as this stage; i feel it gives them a thirst for life when they're bigger. So i encourage her to do most things that she enjoys. She isn't brill at school; she's slightly behind all her friends, but in music and dancing she really shines, and it's given her confidence.
There are nights when i do her homework for her. And I appreciate that there may be people on here that will think that's the wrong thing to do. But i want her to have a happy childhood; i will toughen up significantly at secondary school. I personally don't think primary children should get homework AT ALL (except for maybe homework on manners and how to be nice to each other!). School is way too competitive these days.
By Vickiliciousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2037, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 05:20 PM
I did really well at school and never really missed time for dance, apart from a Monday after a weekend. Some people would travel home on the Sunday night to get back for Monday but I never did lol!
At A-level my teacher told me I'd get straight A's if I didn't dance. I was really angry and said I'd rather get B's/C's and dance then not and get top marks. Qualifications aren't everything, you need experience of life etc and dancing gives you this!
xxx
By dynamomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1372, member since Wed Nov 08, 2006
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 05:27 PM
for sophie not too bad her homework is mon, we, fri and tends to do it as soon as gets in usually about half hour to an hour then if we have comps it's out of way.
kieran started secondary school now and he gets a lot every day he will strart as soon as he gets home but sometimes he needs to finish it when he gets back from dancing which is when he is tired and he has to do the weekend work all on friday as dances all day sat and then if comp on sunday he has liittle time. some nights he can be sat for two hours and it's never less than hour an half. they love their dancing but if it began to affect school work would have to cut it down a little,
berniexx
By pinkbeaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 202, member since Fri Feb 23, 2007
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 09:32 PM
I have read alot of your replies and just thought id add my insight into the world of professional dance with a brain! haha.
i have a BA (hons) in dance from london studio centre. i was a grade A student at school and my mum made it very clear as soon as i decided to become a professional dancer that education is top of the list.I danced every night of the wk becuase as well as disco i went to another school to do ballet, tap, jazz, highland etc etc blah blah blah. homework came before class. no finished homework, no dance class.so most nights i stayed for an hour after school in the common room to do my homework and then made my way to dance class after- saved the whole going home, getting changed...waste of an hour to me! haha.
Anyways to start with any child wishing to progress onto becoming a professional dancer will not get into any decent dance college without a brain and the marks to show it. Fact. Most courses now are diplomas or degrees and no matter how good you perform in the audition the school will want you to have good grades (im not talking straight As btw, just a decent average!) While doing the degree at LSC was a "bargain" i made with my mum- to make up for the fact i didnt want to pursue an intelligent career (my brother is a doctor and my sister in her final year at cambridge! And im a dancer-my poor mum!!! )- it is actually the wisest choice ive ever made. because as a professional dancer, you're not always in work. noone is ever guaranteed a lifetimes career with no unemployment, so my degree has helped me find decent "inbetween" jobs so i dont have to wait on tables like others. it also means if i ever, god forbid, fall down the stairs and break my leg ending my career, i have a back up. i can go back to uni for one year and become a primary teacher instead of doing three years like others would have to. or i can do one year and be a qualified dance teacher. Brains, as boring as they are to most dancers!!, are invaluable. so next time your kid asks if they can skip their homework to polish up that backcatch make sure you point all these facts out. Cos if they dont study...they most probably wont get into that dance college!!!

Just a wee insight. *smiles* BB x
By Vena Comments: 608, member since Tue Dec 11, 2007
On Tue Jan 29, 2008 02:48 AM
Hiya

I'm with everyone in this. School is much more important and if your child wishes to further her career in dance then it is vital she does well at school.

I'm very lucky with my daughter, she loves school and is well above average and she loves dance. On rare occasions when she would rather do her home work 'tomorrow', I tell her she can go to dance 'tomorrow', that puts an end to that.
On Tue Jan 29, 2008 03:01 AM
Edited by groovygran (82337) on 2008-01-29 03:32:11
Have to agree you need Gcseat grade c level and to A level standard to get in to performing arts college

Done the correct way it can be done where all the dance drama singing is still done and also get good grades ..but it has to be dedication and no time for friends etc apart from your ones at dance etc

Lala worked very hard [working in Lunch times etc] but it paid off and now she has the world at her feet she performs for her work but can also get work in many other fields too if need be [in between contracts]or if wanted go to Uni and do a degree
The world is her oyster through working hard at both

Mama DD's xxx

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch