Forum: General / Hip Hop / Breaking

learning to break - how do i gain more strength? Tips!
By xox_dancer09_xox
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 AM

im a hiphopdancer who can freestyle really well. i met a crew of breakdancers in december in my work and i was so fancinated by them! me and my friend from work started hanging out with them but theyve never seen my dance yet. they know how i really want to learn to break so they started to teach me, but when they were teaching .... i had really bad strength. i can now hold a freeze and im so determined to become a bgirl !

does anyone have any tips on how a could hold freezes better ? im learning the 6step ( the basics i know ) and i find it sore on my arms and legs lol !!! :(

xxxxxx

4 Replies to learning to break - how do i gain more strength? Tips!

re: learning to break - how do i gain more strength? Tips!
By Showcasestar
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:29 AM
You have to have a pretty allround strenght. But focus on arm and even more on core. To hold freezes it's usually not the armstrenght you need but the strenght in your abs and back. Six step can be a good start to start building strenght if you do it right. Fast six step in half a minute or a minute a few times will not only give you a fluent six step but good basic strenght. Then of course we have the push ups, sit ups and other traditional exercises. They sure help, if you do 'em daily.
By Ms_Mel
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 02:14 PM
You definitely need core strength- abs, chest, back. You will also need to be able to hold your weight and balance on each of the extremities, so go to a local gym and have a personal trainer work with you on weight training. Don't over do it, do a lot of reps with a small amount of weight at first. I don't know your abilities or build, so I can't recommend a starting point, but even doing reps with 10 pounds doing leg lifts, leg presses, bench presses, squats, and so on can help to tone the muscles you'll need for breaking.

If you can't do a local gym or weights, invest in a theraband (big, long rubber strip that gives resistence.) You can do tons of exercises with those to build the same strength. I use them in my dance classes all the time with students. For example, to build leg strength, put the theraband around the bottom of your foot and bend your knee into your chest. wrap the band around your hands and pull up on the band while you straighten your leg down. This builds quads and calves nicely.

If you need upper body strength, do the backwards push-ups. Put your feet together, and place your arms on the front edge of a chair. Your body will seem like it's sitting on air. Then lower yourself slowly and raise back up using only your arms. Do maybe 10 reps, take a break and stretch the muscles out, then do 10 more, stretch, and so on. This should help build up the triceps significantly, a good muscle to have when doing anything involving balance on your hands.

And of course, dancing always helps. Dance, dance, dance, dance, and dance some more. You have to practice, and don't be afraid to fall over a few times in the process. :)

Hope that helps!
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 05:11 PM
Hey, the way I have my students build strength for my bboying/bgirling class is primarily through footwork. Knowing that you learned six step and probably did it multiple times, you probably felt a little fatigued. The key to building a lot of arm strength is through footwork and a lot of it! Have the crew you met drill you through different footwork techniques.

Another great way to gain strength for blow ups in freezes is to do handstand push ups against the wall. You want to focus on your TRICEPS when building upper strength.

I saw someone mention things about your core or abdominals, what they say is true. A good core equals amazing amount of control and strength in which you will need for everything in bgirling.
By domie
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:53 PM
The only way that you can gain your strengh to do half of these cool moves 'n' stuff then you need to keep practicing. You know what they say practice makes perfect. Or go to the gym 'n' work them lil muscles lol jokes. :) yeah like i say just practice.

..oxox..domie..oxox..

ReplySendWatch