Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Highland - Costumes
Common Costume Questions - SOBHD Answers (karma: 5)
By SammiK Comments: 186, member since Fri Apr 13, 2007
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 07:32 PM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2008-03-05 08:13:40 stickifed!

Hello! This is a repeat of the single postings I did a while back plus a few new ones: Thank you to Helen at SOBHD for her patience and diligence in providing these answers.

JIG QUESTIONS:
RED or GREEN: Male jig costume must have contrast. Female jig costumes do not have to have contrast, but reversible 2 colors items (ie skirt) are permitted. A bodice and skirt, or a cummerbund and skirt are permitted, but do not have to match in color.

BODICE: May be straight across the bottom or have petals, tabs, or a fitted shape.

JUMPERS - PINNAFORES: Sleeveless dresses may have sides and armholes, or they may be completely open on the side.

BLOUSES: Blouses are not to have any additional trim, but may be made from an all-over eyelet (Broderie Anglaise). All over lace is not permitted.

APRONS AND PETTICOATS: White is the only color permitted on aprons and petticoats (exception of the shamrock). This includes tiny ribbons and thread color. There is nothing preventing trim and ribbons as long as they are white.

SOCKS AND PANTIES: Socks and panties must be white and absolutely plain – no trim of any kind is permitted.

RUFFLED EDGES: This is the one question I did not get a really clear yes/no answer on. The answer was yes they are permitted, but only if the ruffle was not to large and made from the same fabric as the rest of the garment (white on white, red on red for example), and was not obtrusive. A personal judgement call here I guess.

ABOYNES
PLEATED ABOYNE SKIRTS: Pleating is permitted as long as it is not kilt-like, but gathering or cartridge type pleating is preferred.

HORNPIPES:
Hornpipe socks - yes they must be worn (not pantyhose), and they can be either color and are not required to either match or contrast the color of the uniform.

HORNPIPE VEST: The white center insert must be bound – or edged - not with braid, and can be ¼ to ½ inch from the edge, Helen specifically noted ½ inch as getting to be to big.

36 Replies to Common Costume Questions - SOBHD Answers

re: Common Costume Questions - SOBHD Answers
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 09:18 PM
Thanks again Sammi. It was a good idea of yours to put all the 'corrections' together.

I very much appreciate the trouble you went to to get definitive answers from SOBHD and your time in posting so Highland DDNers could stay abreast of the official rulings.
By RoadtotheIsles Comments: 475, member since Fri Aug 10, 2007
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:38 PM
It would be a good idea to have this info on a "STICKY"
This way if any changes do come up or outstanding concerns eventually clarified SammiK would be able to update her post.

I really appreciate this current update SammiK!

Thank you for sharing & helping us all out with our many & varied costume queries especially the JIG!!
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Fri Feb 01, 2008 05:51 AM
Thanks Sammi, That does answer my question about the edging on the hornpipe. It should be at the top of the white insert and not a piece of navy braid placed lower. I believe the patterns have a placement line for braid that is incorrect but I have not seen the updated patterns. So, for everyone making hornpipes out there, use binding at the edge of the white insert. thanks Sammi.
By Ruthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2564, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 AM
Hi,

Thanks for putting this on :D

It has answered a few of my questions,

Ruth :)
By ireney02 Comments: 20, member since Sat Sep 13, 2008
On Sun Sep 28, 2008 02:32 PM
Hi thanks this really helps!

Just one question I didn't find it that clear if you have a navy hornpipe do you have to wear navy socks and the same for white? (white socks obviously)

thanks!! Irene :]
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon Sep 29, 2008 07:57 AM
HORNPIPES:
Hornpipe socks - yes they must be worn (not pantyhose), and they can be either color and are not required to either match or contrast the color of the uniform.

So you can wear white socks with white or navy outfit, or navy socks with navy or white outfit.

DD wears a navy outfit with short white socks. Most dancers here wear white socks. I saw some navy socks with a navy outfit recently and I, personally, wasn't fond of the look.
By tartanbabe Comments: 123, member since Sat Jul 19, 2008
On Fri Mar 13, 2009 05:15 AM
thanks for the great information
By TawnyB Comments: 79, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 08:38 AM
Hey, does anyone know if cotton eyelet "lace" on the front of a blouse is okay for aboynes, or not? The SOBHD says no frills but I'm not sure if this is frilly, or if that is lace lace.

Tawny
By submum Comments: 45, member since Fri Nov 30, 2007
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 01:04 PM
I have questions about kiltie and national skirt length. According the the rules kilt should be to the top of the knew and national to the knee. What exactly does that mean and how do you really measure that?

Thanks everyone.
By HighlandFireGirl Comments: 65, member since Wed Oct 06, 2010
On Wed Oct 13, 2010 08:30 PM
This really helped. Thanks a lot
By HighlandTex Comments: 21, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Sat Oct 30, 2010 04:34 PM
I am trying to find information on requirements for hornpipe pants. Do they need to be bellbottom and is there a specific size of bottom? What about type of material? Anything special in requirements needed for the top?? Would be helpful to know when reviewing what is available! Thanks .
By DundeeDancer Comments: 513, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:41 PM
Edited by DundeeDancer (176416) on 2010-11-01 13:43:57 fixed formatting
Edited by DundeeDancer (176416) on 2010-11-01 14:24:13
Hi HighlandTex,

Here is the SOBHD dress code for the Hornpipe:

DRESS FOR SAILOR’S HORNPIPE
Cap: Regulation white with circular crown. The cap should not have a name band.
Jumper: To be made of navy blue material (serge or twill) or white drill, shaped to the body and with set in sleeves. V-neck front opening with double thickness collar attached. The bottom of the jumper should be in line with the top of the thigh and the sleeves to extend to the wrist bone. The sleeves may be buttoned but stripes are not acceptable.
Collar: Navy or blue denim with three white stripes. Should be worn with either navy or white jumper. Black ribbon, tied in a bow may be worn at the base of the v-neck.
Vest: To be white drill with square neck and bound with navy binding.
Trousers: To be made of the same material and to be the same colour as the jumper. Bell - bottomed style, the circumference of the trouser bottoms to be two or three inches wider than the circumference of the knee. Trouser bottoms to be plain.
Socks: Plain white or navy.
Footwear: Black highland dancing pumps.
Hair: No visible hair adornments.

Here is the link if you'd like to read it for yourself:
sobhd.net . . .

Take care,
DundeeDancer
By kirsty_c3Premium member Comments: 59, member since Sat Dec 05, 2009
On Sat Jan 15, 2011 03:54 PM
does anyone know if you are allowed small ribbons on the sleeves of your jig dress, and if so then how many are you allowed to have?
i think the national allows four small ribbons on each sleeve?
By merridancer Comments: 37, member since Sun Apr 18, 2010
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:57 AM
could anyone know a good boys kilt and trews maker near Edinburgh area. Thanks
By lj100 Comments: 366, member since Mon Sep 26, 2011
On Sat Nov 05, 2011 06:04 AM
does it matter which side the kilt opens at for exams? My daughters old kilt had the open side at her left leg but her new one opens at the right. I know boys and girls kilts are different sides but does it matter for exams??
By highlanddancerma Comments: 23, member since Sun Nov 06, 2011
On Sat Nov 12, 2011 05:44 PM
I appreciate your research & thoughtfulness to post - it helps mothers with new dancers to understand some of the rules.
By proudhighlandmom Comments: 34, member since Wed Nov 23, 2011
On Tue Nov 29, 2011 08:42 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this information with us! We really appreciate your time and knowledge!!
Have a great day!
By dancteacher Comments: 30, member since Fri Jan 13, 2006
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:37 PM
Question:
are there any updated rules or guide lines as to what "plaids" can be used for the aboyne? I have seem some plaids (not even close to a tartan) that look like table cloths. It is much easier to convince students and their parents what is appropriate if the guidelines are clear. Thanks so much!!
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Thu Jan 19, 2012 06:06 AM
dancteacher wrote:

Question:
are there any updated rules or guide lines as to what "plaids" can be used for the aboyne? I have seem some plaids (not even close to a tartan) that look like table cloths. It is much easier to convince students and their parents what is appropriate if the guidelines are clear. Thanks so much!!

As long as it looks like a tartan, you can use it. Things to look for when buying:
- cannot have shiny threads going through it (think Christmasy)
- Has to be of a cotton, cotton blend, wool or wool blend.
- cannot be taffeta (this has been banned for at least 15 years)

What I tell my parents if they're buying new (although they're still renting from me)...
- cotton or wool -like blends
- doesn't matter if it's dark or more 'dress' like (although I do prefer the white in it)
- to buy it at Fabricland in Canada or JoAnne's in the US (we're right at the border) right after Christmas when it's on sale!

That's what I can think of right now!
By Morven Comments: 15, member since Sun May 02, 2010
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:12 AM
Having made my daughters Hornpipe outfits fot the past 5 or 6 years as per Unique Pattern with the 'vest' insert having a navy ribbon 6mm from the top edge - the Judge at todays competition pointed out that the 'vest' should have a navy edge binding only - not a ribbon placed below the edge as depicted in the pattern. The placement of an edge ribbon below the edge of the vest will result in points being deducted for non-conforming to the SOBHD dress code. Any comments would be appreciated.
re: Common Costume Questions - SOBHD Answers (karma: 1)
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Fri Jan 11, 2013 06:28 PM
Some recent information that was put out by the SOBHD. This information was taken from the FUSTA newsletter, but also appeared in the SOBHD minutes from November. I have edited very slightly for the DDN audience.

The topic of tattoos and whether they should be covered has come up recently. In case you are wondering if you need to cover your tattoo... the SOBHD recommends that Tattoos be covered, but the dancer can’t be forced to do so. Hair color (e.g., shocking pink) and tattoos should not be a deduction.

DRESS CODE PROBLEMS NOTED

Observations Regarding the Highland Outfit:

• Some Highland blouse sleeves are too short. Sleeves should be full sleeves to the elbow. Also, the lace ornamented dickie/jabot front on the jacket and the vest should be just below the collar bone.

• Some jackets/vests are too long, should be to the hips.

• Correct kilt length should be to the top of the knees.

Observations Regarding the National Dance Costume, Hornpipes, and Jigs::

• Both piping and highland braid are acceptable on the National vest.

• The braid may be around the scallops only or It may be around the neck line and
down the front of the vest and also around the scallops or, it may be just plain with no braid.

• Some underskirts are too short. They should be slightly shorter than the skirt.

• Some sleeves are too short and too small. Should not be a puff sleeve. Sleeves
should be bell shaped and full sleeves to the elbow.

• The hornpipe collar should be navy or denim blue, not baby blue or bright royal blue.

• Jig shoes - the two toned shoes are acceptable.

• In certain places “jingles” are not allowed for the jig shoes. Therefore, dancers should be prepared to tape over “jingles” if required.
By heilanlassie Comments: 8, member since Wed Mar 06, 2013
On Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 AM
what about hair for jig and hornpipe, up or down, seen some wearing their hair up and down, and ribbon in hair seen that mentioned in the rules somewhere.
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Fri Mar 08, 2013 07:13 PM
That's correct, the navy goes right at the top of the vest insert, not a bit down, as we used to wear them in the '90s. Luckily, it's a pretty easy fix, compared to some other dress code things that have changed! I find it's really helpful to check the current dress code when making a new costume, even if using a Highland-specific pattern, for just this sort of thing :)
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:42 AM
Thanks for comments. It really helps when you are a parent who does a lot of the sewing of the costumes and it sure saves money when you can do things yourself. I like to sew so that makes it easier. It feels good to create things.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch