Forum: Irish / Irish

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: The Ultimate Make-Up Guide
By jessthecat Comments: 57, member since Sun Jan 28, 2007
On Thu May 21, 2009 09:49 AM
These postings have been a great help! Make-up has never been my strong point!
By kittyflo Comments: 26, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Thu May 28, 2009 05:37 AM
this is so good for putting on make up
By ghilliegirl14 Comments: 71, member since Wed Aug 06, 2008
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58 PM
Great post! I had no idea what color eye shadow I should use, but this helped a lot.
By ghilliegirl14 Comments: 71, member since Wed Aug 06, 2008
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:00 PM
Great post! I had no idea what color eye shadow I should use, but this helped a lot, thanks! =)
By Facaitnah Comments: 16, member since Tue Oct 27, 2009
On Tue Oct 27, 2009 08:41 PM
OK, as someone who has worked extensively on the stage, I applaud your efforts here. My only rebuttals are this:

1. Never ever ever share makeup, especially among a large group. Bacteria, germs, ick!

2. Eye shadow should not match the dress. Eye shadow should compliment the eyes. For ex: a blue eyed girl wearing a blue dress should NEVER wear blue eyeshadow (actually, no one should ever wear blue eyeshadow on stage!). Think opposites: Blue eyes: brown and pink shadows, brown eyes: green and bronze shadows, green eyes: purple and plum shadows. Always mix your accent colors with a great neutral.

3. Bronzer should be used sparingly on those areas where the sun naturally hits the face. It can also be used to create cheekbones. Be careful on stage with putting blush directly on the apples of the cheeks - sometimes it can get heavyhanded.

4. A natural color lipstick is usually best. Very few people can pull off red lipstick on stage, and is best left to Sr. Ladies with very dark hair and a dark complexion. Use a long-wearing lipstick the color of your natural lips or one shade deeper and top it off with a gloss.

5. Makeup for feisanna is different than makeup for Majors. Feis makeup should be slightly heavy street makeup, with an emphasis on cheeks and lips. For major competitions, go all out!
You can have fun with your makeup! During Oireachtas, NANS, Worlds, etc, bring out the glitter, just use it carefully. Pageant makeup is not too much on a large stage.
By mom22 Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 29, 2009
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 06:37 AM
My DD is 12 and in PreLim. She has very light skin. We just use bronzer and blush on her face (in addition to eyes and lips). She is young enough that she is not dealing with uneven skin tone yet so all the concealer and foundation is not necessary for her.
By lauralouwho Comments: 129, member since Tue Apr 28, 2009
On Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 AM
I really LOVE this post and am glad it was made a sticky! I've always had some problem with the placement of make-up, and I'm just more of a visual learner in general, so I checked on YouTube and found a FANTASTIC make-up artist! She has so many different looks (dramatic, costume, subtle, etc.) and I found a great purple look to go for dance. Her name on YouTube is MissChievous. Here's her link to her page: www.youtube.com . . . Maybe for some people that are curious about how to apply it-this will be really helpful. She also has videos on how to apply the basics like foundation and blush!
By irishdancer7513member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 159, member since Thu Jan 15, 2009
On Mon Feb 15, 2010 08:54 PM
Why didn't I see this before Oireachtas?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! Well I guess there is next year and all the local competitions. :)

Thanks for this post! I would give you karma, although I can't yet...as soon as I can I will!!!
By reeldancer99 Comments: 8, member since Mon May 17, 2010
On Tue May 25, 2010 07:03 AM
Thanks a lot for all your advice with this post , a great help,
By Tokenfire Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 09, 2008
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:03 PM
Thanks for the information. I have printed it off for my dd.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Tue Jul 20, 2010 03:24 PM
Whats the secret to the really dark eyes? I saw at lot of girls at the weekend with dark eyes and even with eyeliner and black mascara mine were knowhere near as dark or pronounced as theirs!
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 182, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Sun Aug 15, 2010 06:12 PM
THANK YOU! wow this was a great post and it looked like you put a lot of effort into it so kudos to you!
By SaoirseCorPremium member Comments: 91, member since Fri Dec 25, 2009
On Mon Aug 16, 2010 03:35 PM
Thank you for this post. There is so much to learn. I know less about makeup than I do about Irish Dance.
By rarahdancer Comments: 61, member since Sat Aug 07, 2010
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 06:57 PM
great post! thanks!
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Sun Aug 29, 2010 07:51 PM
claireyfaerie85 wrote:

Whats the secret to the really dark eyes? I saw at lot of girls at the weekend with dark eyes and even with eyeliner and black mascara mine were knowhere near as dark or pronounced as theirs!

To get the really dark eyes you need to use a liquid or cream eyeliner, not a pencil. For my Feis makeup I do a dark smoky eye with grey and charcoal eye shadow. Then I do a think liner using a cream liner (it comes in a little jar and you use a small brush to apply it) - bringing it out a bit at the ends for a cat-eye effect. I add a bit of sparkle with a silver glitter liner (just above the black liner). Then I finish it off with a black mascara.
By McConomy_Fan Comments: 76, member since Sat Jul 31, 2010
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 08:06 PM
Very well done.
By McConomy_Fan Comments: 76, member since Sat Jul 31, 2010
On Mon Sep 27, 2010 04:34 PM
This was a great post, tried some of these tips out and they looked fab. I will use them for Oireachtas which is in 46 days! Thanks alot for all of these tips, really really helpful! :)
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 07:21 PM
I have a question: do you really need to get a fake tan, or can you go without at a feis? Help please?
By weedancingdoll Comments: 21, member since Wed Oct 13, 2010
On Wed Oct 13, 2010 01:52 PM
my dress is black and white but I hate wearing eye shadow it makes me look stupid however I have this reddish pink lipstick that I think is gorj do you think that would look ok with my dress ?????
By irishdancemum1 Comments: 25, member since Sat Oct 16, 2010
On Sat Oct 23, 2010 02:43 PM
great post, thanks for the tips, its good to experiement with different colours, think I will have a go now!!! Cheers
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Tue Jan 25, 2011 03:17 PM
thats a great post. I have a medium-purple school dress still now and last feis I wore blue eyeshadow and a nice pink lipstick. i know i looked like an irish dance barbie offstage (Which is okay with me) but im not exactly sure how it looked onstage. and i need to invest in some nice bronzer.
By chick2011 Comments: 26, member since Sat May 14, 2011
On Sun Jun 05, 2011 02:59 PM
Hi there my sister has a coral and white dress wit gold designs she is pale but got a brown wig .
What make up should she get ?

Aoife
By claire715 Comments: 55, member since Tue Mar 22, 2011
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 AM
Does anyone have tips on how to apply foundation thickly?

I have good-quality foundation, but once I've been wearing it for a while it doesn't look like I'm wearing make up at all. Also, my face gets really red when I dance and I have yet to find a way to effectively keep my redness under control. It's kind of embarrassing, because even though I'm in pretty good shape I always look like I'm really out of breath because my face turns bright red!

I've heard that applying foundation with a brush (right now I'm using foam make-up sponges) can help it go on thicker, but when I do that it always seems to have lines from the brush, and it doesn't look even at all.

I have the same problem with eye make-up...I apply eyeliner and mascara but I never look like I'm wearing any! I think part of the problem is that I don't use cream eyeliner, but when I try to apply black cream eyeliner it looks way too harsh. My eyelashes are light brown and my eyes are blue. I've tried brown eyeliner, but it looks kind of weird and doesn't provide much definition.

Any tips?
By DressShopping Comments: 273, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Fri Sep 09, 2011 09:55 AM
i know they sell "Physcian's Formula" foundation with a greenish undertone (very slight, unnoticiable) to counteract a reddened skin tone. Maybe try that?
By Irish4life Comments: 227, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:17 PM
This is very helpful, thank you! :)
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch