Popular Ballet

Ankle strengthening for pointe work? by nataliedancer
When I first started pointe work I was never given any strengthening exercises for my feet and...

Forum: Job Talk

Teachers - Job Talk
Something wet on the dance floor..... en>fr fr>en
By tapisrhythm5678 Comments: 344, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 08:53 AM
Locked by tapisrhythm5678 (101327) on 2008-04-08 00:02:25 This issue was resolved 2 months ago. Thanks for all responses!

Yesterday I had a parent point out something wet or spilled on the floor. The class was 6-8 year olds, the use the water fountian, and I didn't spill anything. What is it and where did it come from? As I am cleaning it up I realize it's in the same spot a student was sitting. I keep thinking surely the 7 year old child did not wet herself. Suddenly I noticed when checking leg alignment where the wet spot came from. The child had wet herself (crotch was wet front to back). I kept class going and later said something to the SO. Has this ever happend to you with an older child?

Years ago I had a 4 year old who was sitting on the floor and had an accident. She would not stand up with the other kids and started crying. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and then I saw it. Her pudddle was so large we needed the mop. Poor thing. I know this happens with young children, but at 7?

21 Replies to Something wet on the dance floor.....

re: Something wet on the dance floor..... en>fr fr>en
By Gumblynamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 986, member since Mon May 20, 2002
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:02 AM
Years ago I had a six yea old wet herself while trying to tell me she needed to go. It was quite humorous now looking back.
This year I've had 3 wet themselves. two were four and the other was seven, she kind of made it to the bathroom.... After that in my next newsletter, I reminded parents to send their children to the restroom BEFORE class.
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2575, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:03 AM
I have a six year old who will pee herself EVERY CLASS if I do not let her go to the washroom. I swear she almost does it on purpose.
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1478, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:41 AM
Yes I've had a child who is either 6 or 7 wet herself not once but twice. The first time I was the only one who noticed so I didn't say anything but the second time she was dancing in the corner and I asked what was wrong. She said she needed to go to the bathroom and I let her go but as she is walking out of the class a big wet spot starts forming and the WHOLE class sees it. I had to yell at them to leave her alone.
By startapper Comments: 1368, member since Thu Oct 26, 2006
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:49 AM
I've had this happen once, too. The little girl was 7 and had a bladder infection. By the time she realized she needed to go, it was too late. She was really embarrassed, but I assured her that this could happen to anyone with the same infection.
By tapisrhythm5678 Comments: 344, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:54 AM
Should I have said something to her mom, or do you think she will tell her? I didn't want to humiliate her (very shy child). She didn't even ask to go to the restroom. Maybe she was too shy to ask? I just finally heard her speak about a week ago. Even if I ask her a question she will nod or not say anything. Should I address the class as a whole and let them know anytime they need restroom break it's okay to ask. Maybe this will be reassuring?
By DaDancingPsych Comments: 2947, member since Wed Dec 18, 2002
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 AM
I just wanted to say that there are situations where a seven year old would wet herself. It could be a medical problem, shyness, or just an accident. I think I would have addressed the child very quietly and the parent as well. I wouldn't have made a big deal about it, but just to allow the child to get cleaned up. Plus, this would open the parent to discuss any problems that may be there.
By Courtney19 Comments: 328, member since Thu Aug 19, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 AM
Yes, it can happen there are medical problems that exist for older children. I personally know two 10 yr olds that have to wear these sort of diapers to bed because of the problem. Most outgrow it before their teen years but it does happen in some children.
By eloisefigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1015, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:57 AM
Maybe the child has control over it, maybe she doesnt. But I would talk to the mom and have her let the child know that if she thinks she needs to go to just let you know, and that it is ok. Im guessing you dont allow skirts, but maybe she could wear one or you could keep one or an extra leo and tights handy as a backup.

On a more lighthearted note, a friend of mine(she was about 14) was in a jazz dance and a girl was supposed to jump on her back, i guess the my friend forgot bc when the other girl jumped on her back, it scared her so much that she peed her pants. It was soooo funny we all laughed(including her).
By missfitz2 Comments: 588, member since Fri Sep 16, 2005
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 AM
I had a girl from 5th through 7th grade that had this problem. Her dad talked to me about it, she did have a medical condition, so I was made aware. But you may want to say something to the mom and have her checked out. This girls dad said it started in about 1st grade, she just was unable to "hold".
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 AM
If this was a one time occurance- I wouldn't be too concerned that it was a medical problem just yet. The girl is probably so shy that she didn't want to ask. As teachers, we all have the issues with "potty breaks" and she may be under the impression that it is frowned upon. I would mention something to the mother in private about what happened, and that way she can address it with her child. You don't want the girl to be embarrassed by what happened, so I wouldn't say anything in front of the class about it. For the time being, make sure a parent knows what happened, and continue on. It might have just simply been an accident this time, if it happens again I would worry a little more.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:46 PM
Yep, an 8-year old girl. All girls were dancing through the studio (free dancing) when I heard water fall. ???? Where did that come from? Then one of the girls stopped with a shocked expression on her face, and an other girl saying: "Miss, there is water here on the floor."
I agreed about the water, send the other girl to change (I have a spare leotard), cleaned and gave mom a plastic bag with the wet leotard.
I thought it was just a funny accident.
By Angelos Comments: 402, member since Tue Apr 08, 2003
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 03:52 PM
tapisrhythm5678 wrote:

Even if I ask her a question she will nod or not say anything.

The likelyhood is that she is so shy she was to scared to ask to go to the rest room. It happens with kids at 6-7 when they are that shy. We use the T signal in my class with younger students. If they need to go to the restroom they make a T with their hand and i just nod or say yes to them and they go. This is a little less intimidating then having to speak up in front of the whole class to go to the rest room. Maybe implement something like this in the class room to make it less intimidating for the real shy kids!
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 04:41 PM
I had a girl once do that in class. Apparently the last school she went to did not allow them (5 year olds) to leave class or even ask to go the bathroom or they would be berated.

When I found that out I told her that I sometimes have to go, too, so it's okay to ask.

If it's a one time thing, don't worry, but I would let all the kids know, if they really need to go, just ask.
By RileyA Comments: 2914, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Thu Feb 14, 2008 03:26 AM
It's actually really common. We don't tend to see it quite as much as dance teachers because it is more common in little boys and we tend to teach mainly little girls. But even at 9 or 10 kids will wet themselves. Normally because they feel unconfortable or intimidated about asking to go to the bathroom. If they have ever heard you tell another child they can't go or seen you get annoyed at someone for going during class, some kids will then refuse to ask to go.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4672, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Thu Feb 14, 2008 07:00 AM
Yeah, I had a 7 year old (almost 8) wet herself in my class this year. She came in late so she rushed into class. She asked me to use the restroom about 10 minutes later, but when she went out to the lobby, someone else was already in there so instead of waiting for them to come out she just came back in the classroom and the next thing you know....it was really embarrassing for her too because she's the youngest one in that class. The other girls are like 9 and 10. I wouldn't say anything to the parents unless it happens again. It was probably a one time thing.
By thatsme5678 Comments: 66, member since Fri Apr 29, 2005
On Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:22 PM
This past summer we had a 9 year old wet herself. It was me and the SO and the girls were doing leg extensions. I was on the other side of the room I said 5678 and I heard this weird noise (sounding like something crash on the floor). I finished counting it out and the SO yelled "WATER BREAK" and the girl ran into the bathroom. We quickly cleaned it up and only the girls standing next to her noticed and they were whispering. When she came out of the bathroom you could tell she was crying.

I didnt even know what happened until the SO ran to the paper towels!
By missgolightly Comments: 1191, member since Thu Feb 09, 2006
On Thu Apr 03, 2008 09:50 AM
I peed my pants in Grade 1 because the teacher was working with some other students and told us she did not want to be disturbed. I was very shy back then.

I also cleaned it up myself!
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5694, member since Sat Feb 12, 2005
On Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:57 AM
Poor thing! I bet it was shyness. I would hop on this opportunity to ease her out of her shell. I like the hand signal idea. Makes me think of elementary school - 1 finger meant drink, 2 fingers means bathroom.

I might need to do hand signs... On Monday I had a 14 year old announce she had a booger hurting her and asked her if she could go to the bathroom to pick it. I've never witnessed that one before. Humm...
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sun Apr 06, 2008 06:16 AM
We had a 9- or 10-year-old wet herself in class once. I guess for kids that age, they think they can hold it and feel embarrassed about asking to go the toilet in the middle of class. Unfortunately, they can't hold it forever.

Helen
By Danztchr07 Comments: 607, member since Thu Jun 16, 2005
On Sun Apr 06, 2008 08:08 AM
Yep, I had a 7 year old do it one time. We were sitting down talking about our recital dance and as I was turning around to do something on the stereo the little girl asked if she could go to the bathroom and I said yes, just a minute and right after that all the other girls started screaming my name and scooting away from the little girl just standing there wetting herself. Her mom said she didn't have a problem just she was shy and probably got caught up in what we were doing and just waited too long.

Looking back, it kind of reminded me of the movie with Steve Martin, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, where he asked to go to the bathroom and he just sits there and gets a funny look on his face and then says Thank You! Because yeah, it was like she asked and just went right there!

I do have the rule that they should go before class and in combo classes (which are kids ages 3-7) we have a water/bathroom break, but I never keep anyone from the bathroom.
By Jeannie1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4325, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 09:49 AM
To be really honest with you, I think as soon as you noticed she had wet herself, you should have asked her to go tell mommy so she could have gotten out of her urine soaked leotard and tights. First of all, if she had sat down again the bacteria was on the floor. If she had adjusted her leotard in that area and then touched the barre, the door knob, another student - hello germs! I'm not a germaphobe in any way, but that to me would be something I would be really grossed out about as a teacher or if I were a parent. Also, dancing around in a wet leotard like that can give the student an infection.

And I don't think 7 years old is too old to be wetting themselves. Kids get excited at dance, or just feel bad for asking to use the bathroom, or just forget to ask because they just aren't thinking about it. I would just send out a general newsletter to all the younger levels saying that parents are to make sure the child uses the bathroom before class starts. At my studio, most of my kids that age take a combo class where they change their shoes after a 1/2 hour, so I tell them to use the bathroom then.

Next time it happens, I would send the student out to her mom, or at least have the receptionist call the mother so something can be done about the situation - dry leotard/tights, clean her up, etc.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed