Forum: Advice / Support

Support
Hope, Love, Comfort, and Support. . . Add Your Words of Encouragement and Support. (karma: 2)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 07:14 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2008-02-17 21:11:37

My mom died three years ago and I still grieve.
My wonderful 83-year-old mother-in-law died on Tuesday.

A friend just emailed this beautiful rainbow tree and these words, and I wanted to share:

I hope and pray for all of those that need a kind word, hope, support, love, and hope for a better tomorrow

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn’t supposed to ever let you down, probably will. You will have your heart broken, probably more than once, and it’s harder every time. You’ll break hearts too, so remember how it felt when yours was broken. You’ll fight with your best friend. You’ll blame a new love for things that an old one did. You’ll cry because time is passing too fast, and you’ll eventually lose someone you love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you’ve never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you’ll never get back.

Don’t be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Share this with all those you love.

Blessings to all the wonderful people on DDN and their families.

Feel free to add your words of wisdom and/or encouragement for those needing support.

20 Replies to Hope, Love, Comfort, and Support. . . Add Your Words of Encouragement and Support.

re: Hope, Love, Comfort, and Support. . . Add Your Words of Encouragement and Support.
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 05:48 PM
This is so sweet. What a great idea.

I have a few to add that I found helpful to myself, I hope others find it somewhat helpful.

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."
-Unknown

"When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow,
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit."
-Anonymous

-Ashleigh
"Give Me a Reason to Believe"
re: Hope, Love, Comfort, and Support. . . Add Your Words of Encouragement and Support.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 08:57 PM
Here's some quotes that help me through hard times:

“God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain”
-C.S. Lewis

“May the pain you have known and the conflict you have experienced give you the strength to walk through life facing each new situation with courage and optimism.”
-Unknown

“Never let go of hope. One day you will see that it all has finally come together. What you have always wished for has finally come to be. You will look back and laugh at what has passed and you will ask yourself... 'How did I get through all of that?”
-Unknown
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 09:56 PM
When I was an angsty 12 year old brat, my Grandpa had the thought to xerox a page out of his crinkled and crumpled copy of Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet. The page he selected for me was On Children, and it was one of the most reassuring things that has ever arrived in the mail. He was funny that way... every once in a blue moon, even though he lived only an hour away and I usually saw him at least once a week, he'd feel a need to send something in the mail.

In the week before he died, we had been packing up all the books in his condo. He and my Nana had an amazing collection. He had fallen and was in the hospital - the hope was that he'd move in with my parents, but it didn't work out that way. We came across the same copy of The Prophet that he had copied On Children out of for me, and I snagged it. In the weeks after, it was a great comfort to me - I had never read the other poems until then. As it is, the second to last chapter, On Death, I find hugely comforting.

Then Almitra spoke, saying, "We would ask now of Death."

And he said:

You would know the secret of death.
But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?
The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day cannot unveil the mystery of light.
If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life.
For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.
In the depth of your hopes and desires lies your silent knowledge of the beyond;
And like seeds dreaming beneath the snow your heart dreams of spring.
Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.
Your fear of death is but the trembling of the shepherd when he stands before the king whose hand is to be laid upon him in honour.
Is the shepherd not joyful beneath his trembling, that he shall wear the mark of the king?
Yet is he not more mindful of his trembling?
For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?
And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?
Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.
And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

Also very comforting is this bit from the beginning of the last chapter The Farewell:
People of Orphalese, the wind bids me leave you.
Less hasty am I than the wind, yet I must go.
We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us.
Even while the earth sleeps we travel.
We are the seeds of the tenacious plant, and it is in our ripeness and our fullness of heart that we are given to the wind and are scattered.
Brief were my days among you, and briefer still the words I have spoken.
But should my voice fade in your ears, and my love vanish in your memory, then I will come again,
And with a richer heart and lips more yielding to the spirit will I speak.
Yea, I shall return with the tide,
And though death may hide me, and the greater silence enfold me, yet again will I seek your understanding.
And not in vain will I seek.
If aught I have said is truth, that truth shall reveal itself in a clearer voice, and in words more kin to your thoughts.
I go with the wind, people of Orphalese, but not down into emptiness;
And if this day is not a fulfillment of your needs and my love, then let it be a promise till another day. Know therefore, that from the greater silence I shall return.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 08:42 AM
This certainly is not mine, but it has brought comfort to many:
Our departed, whom we now remember, has entered into the peace of life eternal. She still lives on earth in the acts of goodness she has performed and in the hearts of those who cherish her memory. May the beauty of her life abide among us as a loving benediction:

May the Source of peace send peace to all who mourn, and comfort the bereaved among us.
By DeeDeesPremium member Comments: 4147, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:24 AM
I've gone blank
but I propose a Words of Encouragement sticky
dd
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2174, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 01:37 PM
i love this quote from kryon:

'it is spiritually impossible for you to ever be alone.'

it brings me comfort..
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 07:48 AM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2008-02-18 07:48:53 fix the codes
I read this as part of the eulogy I gave for my mother-in-law's funeral service on Saturday.

An excerpt from Listen to the Whispers of the Mourning

I know you miss me, I miss you too
But I'm sending an angel to watch over you
The angel will let you know I'm always near
To ease your heartache and wipe your tears
And the next time you reach up to the heavens above
You'll feel the kiss of all my love
So please don't let the grief consume your soul
And remember through God, you too can be whole
And when you think you can no longer stand
I'm up here in heaven with God, waiting to take hold of your hand
So listen beyond the whispers of the mourning and you'll see
I'm with the Lord our God
I'm finally free.

I also love this song, whose lyrics were read at my mother's memorial service:

If I Flew on Morning Wings

If the Heaven's heights I fly
You are still beside me.
Or in death's dark shadows lie,
You will stay close by me.
If I flee on morning wings
Far across the gray sea,
Even there your hand will lead,
Your right hand will guide me.

It brings me comfort to think that the loved one who has left this Earth is now a freed spirit looking down on those still on Earth.

The body is a shell for our spirit and we mourn the loss of physicality, but they are free of worldly pain and problems.

I believe you can speak to the departed any time you want and they will hear you. I believe the departed watch over us in spirit.

I believe that someday we will be united with all of those who have gone before us.

Believing so, when my grandmother died, and then my mother, and then my mother in law; they were each greeted in turn, with "Welcome, we've been waiting a long time to see you again."
By DeeDeesPremium member Comments: 4147, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 09:38 AM
Yay sticky

Well Done Maria, this post is so YOU.
Daph
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 05:38 PM
Anyone remember that old Disney movie from the 80's called Cheetah?

One of my favorite sayings comes from that movie.

"Though we are far apart, our spirits share the same earth and the same sky."
On Sun Mar 23, 2008 03:24 PM
DDN can be such a wonderfully supportive place, and daily I'm reminded of that blessing...

One of my DDN friends sent me the sweetest PM today. I get so many wonderful PMs on a regular basis and feel so blessed to have found DDN. DDN helps me to embrace my smiley-ness more and more. So thank you DDN.

I just want to say that your comments, even when specifically directed to other people, really cheer me up.

You inspire me, and I think that you're amazing. To quote the jungle book: "I wanna be like you-ou-ou!"

How do you remain so positive? I used to be a positive person, but I seem to have somehow lost that.

I should write a book or become an inspirational public speaker or both. Honestly, I have a fierce passion for life and the person that I am is based on the survivor of abuse that I grew up to be.

I've had friends who know my life story tell me that they're amazed at how normal, happy, positive etc. that I am. All I know is that some people wouldn't have survived, and if they did they would not be normal, but hateful, withdrawn, or some kind of mental case.

Maybe I was born with a strong sense of survival and such a fierce love of life and all things beautiful that I survived in spite of myself and my beginnings.

There are a couple of things that have influenced me.

1. I wrote poetry when I was about 11 - 13 that expressed my heartache at the cruelty and inequities that I saw in the world, that I felt helpless to change.

2. My grandmother gave me an inspirational poem when I was in high school and it became my mantra. It fit me perfectly. It basically talked about touching every person who you come in contact during your day, so when you go to bed at night you can think about all the positive things you did to bring a smile to another's face/day.

3. Kindness is rare in the world, but one feels so good when they make others smile.

One person feels like they can't change the world (as I stated in my poem as a child, "oh how can one little girl, change the world.") You realize that you can't change the whole world, but you can make a difference in your own little corner of the world, which might help others to feel compelled to make the world better and they pass it on, so on and on it goes.

Now, I'm going to go and look that that inspirational writing that my grandmother game me more than 30 years ago.

Maria

PS If you've never read my DDN diary, you might find some insight and/or inspiration www.dance.net . . .
On Tue Mar 25, 2008 08:38 AM
Well, when the path is steep and stony and the night is all around.

And the way that you must take is far away...

When your heart is lost and lonely and the map cannot be found.

Here's a simple little spell that you can say:

"You've got to face facts, act fast on your own
Preparation, perspiration, dynamite determination
Pack snacks, make tracks all alone
Don't be cute. Time to scoot. Head out to your destination.

Chase the future, face the great unknown.

--Gobo Fraggle (aka Jim Henson creation)
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 AM
May things never look so dark that you need this one, but it is here just in case. This poem, entitled “Motele”, was left behind by a child who perished in the Warsaw Ghetto when it was used as a death camp.

From tomorrow on, I shall be sad---
From tomorrow on!
not today. What is the use of sadness---tell me that?---
Because these evil winds begin to blow?
Why should I grieve for tomorrow---today?
Tomorrow may be so good, so sunny,
Tomorrow the sun may shine for us again:
We shall no longer need to be sad.
From tomorrow on, I shall be sad---
From tomorrow on!
Not today: no! Today I will be glad.
And every day, no matter how bitter it be,
I will say:
From tomorrow on, I shall be sad,
Not today!
By redbrickdreammember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 386, member since Thu May 19, 2005
On Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:52 AM
To anyone having problems with what other people think:

The people who mind don't matter
And those who matter, don't mind
On Mon Dec 15, 2008 02:04 PM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2008-12-15 14:05:17 What inspired me to write this
Ways to Boost Your Mood

We all have days when we are a bit down. You know what I mean? You wake up irritable, your annoyed with everything and everyone, maybe feeling a bit sad.

Think of little things to boost your spirit
Make a list. I'm starting a list here, feel free to add more.

REMEMBER to eat right, get plenty of sleep, and exercise! Those three things make a HUGE difference in dealing with stress, anxiety, depression etc (all three I fight with myself...)

Change of Venue
Get outside. Get some fresh air. Take frequent breaks from what you've been doing for hours. Breakup your ordinary routine. Change what you eat, or where you eat it.

Lend an Ear to Someone Else
It always helps me to listen to another's problems and help them. Sometimes when I give advise, I hear myself and think WOW I should heed my own advise! :P

Random Acts of Kindness
Hold the door open for someone. Offer to help someone carry their bags. Let that person over in traffic with their signal on that no one let's change lanes!

Call a friend
Connect with a dear friend or family member. It will do both of you good to re-connect.

Clean or Organize a Small Area in Your Home
That sense of accomplishment will make you feel better.

Have a bite of a forbidden food
I eat healthy most of the time, but once in a while, it just feels good to eat a cookie, a piece of chocolate, or split that yummy dessert with someone. Carefully think about what you're eating and enjoy it.

Inspired by WomenCo.com
By paulmccormack Comments: 38, member since Thu Aug 28, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:50 PM
Edited by paulmccormack (201110) on 2009-02-16 12:51:15
The colored lights, they brightly shine.
Unlike your eyes avoiding mine.
The snow is folding sheet upon sheet.
Our hands not holding as we cross the street.

You have had your fill your fill of me.

I wore the dress I thought you loved.
But my boots are filling with snow you shoved
Off of the car we climb into.
You finished first, I must catch up to you.

How can I catch up when I don't don't want to?
How can I catch up when I still want you?

December baby, you are my,
December baby, you are mine.

December baby - Ingrid Michaelson
Excellent artist.
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2836, member since Fri Jun 09, 2006
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 09:24 AM
If those who need comfort and strenght

I belive in the sun
Even when it is not shining
And I belive in love
Even when there's noone there
And I belive in God
Even when he is silent
I belive through any trial
There is always a way

But sometimes in this suffering
and hopeless despair
My heart cries for shelter
To know someone there
Then a voice rises within me
saying "hold on, my child
I'll give you strenght
I'll give you hope
Just stay a little while.."

Those words belong to a poem that as found written on the wall of a cellar in Cologne, were Jews were hiding during World War II. It was translated into english and made into a song sometimes in the 60s I belive. I sing it to myself when I find me in a dark situation, when I want to cry and see no light.. It reminds me that the sun is there, and that it will shine again someday.
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Mon May 18, 2009 02:50 AM
wow, amazing words!! :)
By bella_mia224 Comments: 58, member since Sat May 26, 2007
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 08:44 AM
Everyone you meet in life knows something you don't, learn from them.
By Irish4life Comments: 227, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 PM
A few Irish words of kindness I know from my cousins back home. :)

May God give you....
For every storm, a rainbow.
For every tear, a smile.
For every care, a promise.
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer to each prayer.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rain fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

May the blessing of light be on you-
light without and light within.
May the blessed sunlight shine on you
and warm your heart
'till it glows like a great peat fire.
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:54 AM
This was provided to a ballet dancer friend of mine

...but I believe it can be applied to most areas of life:

I believe ballet is a journey of unattainable perfection. Perfection is not possible. I say do your best, but MOSTLY enjoy dancing. This 51 year old attempts impossible things everyday and smiles at the feeling of the attempt. Life is full of limitations, but don't stop trying. ♥

ReplySendWatchDraw