Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Conditioning-(cross-posted)
By slmdancer8
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 05:07 PM

So Pom/Dance Season just ended for my school and try outs are not until the beginning of May. Does any body have any ideas of how I can keep in shape, boost my endurance, get more strong/flexible, and better my technique.

Thanks,
Sam

cross posted on poms

3 Replies to Conditioning-(cross-posted)

re: Conditioning-(cross-posted)
By TwirlSuperstar
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 07:44 PM
As a certified sports trainer who was worked with numerous teams and individuals from HS to professional i would recommend the following.

3x a week of 30-60 minute cardio training getting your heart rate up to 65-80% of its max. This can mean doing jogging, swimming, dancing, walking up hills with friends, etc. (This will increase your overall endurance and general shape)

Stronger/flexible I would recommend in your particular case if 3x of lifting light weights (30% your max) in reps of 15-20. This will increase your overall muscle tone, switching white muscles to red, not bulking up and increasing your overall strength/endurance. It will also increase flexibility to a certain extent.

For flexibility I recommend a daily stretching routine of 30-40 minutes or working on pilates.

For technique, use a full body mirror (preferably wall sized) and practice your routine. You will immediately notice those little things improperly done. Videotaping yourself is another good method if you dont have a partner to help you.
By dancingrl247
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 08:54 PM
that sounds like good advice ^^. how do you know if you're at 30% of your max, etc?
By TwirlSuperstar
On Sun Feb 17, 2008 07:33 PM
whatever you can lift at your heaviest and still maintain a rep or two is your max weight. For example, 100 pound tricep press at 1-3 reps (30% is 30lbs = 15-20 reps)

ReplySendWatch