Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
Need Ideas for Recital Program en>fr fr>en
By jumpskickssplitsPremium member Comments: 280, member since Tue Jan 29, 2008
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 07:17 AM

Hey all I am doing my first recital program, and I would like tot make it more than just ads. Intersteding- fun- cute sayings, any suggestions would be appreicated.

thanks

jumpskickssplits.com

8 Replies to Need Ideas for Recital Program

re: Need Ideas for Recital Program en>fr fr>en
By Tapndance Comments: 1636, member since Tue Jun 12, 2007
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:47 AM
I always include pictures of events we've held throughout the year. The students love to see their pictures in print, like a newspaper, and I write a caption below it explaining what it was so it also serves as advertising. For example, my performance troupe performed at a nursing home, so I put their picture in from their show, listed their names and wrote that these wonderful dancers dedicated their time to serving their community by entertaining residents at such and such nursing home.
Hope that helps. Other than that, I just do ads, shout-outs, etc.
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:49 AM
Thanks so much!
By dancengroovegirl Comments: 2261, member since Mon Oct 30, 2006
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 02:35 PM
We do the ads, a few pages throughout of pictures from the year (class, performances, special events) trying to make sure their is a picture from each class or of each student, the show order and list of dancers, as well as a year in review from me highlighting special events, performances and awards (what the teams did, our studio wide community service project...). The year our theme was about dreaming and believing- the last page was a poem I recieved one year from one of my dance teachers about reaching and acheiving our dreams.

This year our theme is having to do with years so I'm going to put a 'dance' timeline in the program
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 06:36 PM
Thats great feel likie sharing the poem?
By CherryBeePremium member Comments: 4702, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 08:01 PM
Our program book is actual scrapbooking pages - not pictures glued on a page, but all the fun stuff with decorative papers, flowers and ribbons and charms and beautiful layouts. We sell ads from 1/8 to a full page, either b&w or full color.
On Wed Feb 20, 2008 05:38 AM
Thats sounds great would love to see a copy!
By CherryBeePremium member Comments: 4702, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Wed Feb 20, 2008 09:52 AM
I don't have a scanner hooked up right now; give me a little bit and I'll shoot photos of some of last year's pages and upload them for you.

Last year, I spent more than a few days working 24hrs/day doing the layouts based upon the sales. This year, I've premade the pages and am letting parents pick which layout they want for their ads - with a disclaimer that if every photo frame in a layout isn't sold, I can combine ads to fill pages.

Businesses usually let you design their ad, using their card and sometimes a message, so that works out fairly easily. I try to get business ads on pages with the student who sold the ad or on an adjacent page, if possible.

Last year, the program was 8 1/2 x 11 but this year, I'm aiming at 12 x 12 so it'll fit in a real keepsake album if parents want to save it.

These were free at our recital last year but not anymore. They're very expensive to have produced, especially with so many colored pages. I put one for each student into a large envelope with their name on it and give to the parent when they check-in at the stage entrance on the day of the recital.

It would be easier to do at the dress rehearsal the day before, but I enjoy the excitement and drama leading up to everyone seeing the books...just my needy personality wanting that little bit of oooh-ing and aaah-ing over my work. LOL

CB
On Wed Feb 20, 2008 09:55 AM
Those are great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

ReplySendWatch