Forum: Guard / Color Guard

need advice!
By grant68
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 08:56 AM

I am the only boy in color guard at my school. The new uniforms arrived yesterday, but there was a problem with mine -- the pants were right, but the top was wrong. instead of a fitted t-shirt style, the company sent a halter top like the girls have. we have a performance in a few days, and if i don't have a uniform, i can't twirl. my girl-friend sez i should just wear it because otherwise i'll leave a hole in the routine. i asked my director and she said it was up to me! i'm too embarassed to go out there in a halter top but i don't want to miss the performance. what can i do? we're performing in another city, so i guess no one would recognize me. but it's still too embarassing.

Grant

2 Replies to need advice!

re: need advice!
By foxigermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 AM
Don't wear a halter (I'm really impressed that you would even consider doing this out of loyalty to your team!). Go to a Dance wear store and buy a men's t-shirt style dance shirt in a color that compliments the girls' uniforms. Would a girl who swam for a men's swim team wear a man's speedo and no top? You have every right to a gender appropriate uniform and the judges would rather see you in one than see you matching the girls' uniforms exactly.
Good luck in your competition and have a great time in color guard!
re: need advice!
By Munki03
On Tue Feb 19, 2008 08:27 PM
Hands down, if your instructors are giving you choice, I would advise you to try to find another top. Especially since you indicated that you would be uncomfortable. Given that I do not know what the costumes look like,this may not work, but...if you can't get to a dance store, would it work to go to a sporting goods store and to buy an under armour shirt?

However, since you only need this for one performance you may not want to put in your own money.....do you have to buy it yourself?

maybe I was helpful, let us know!

ReplySendWatch