Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: General

Teachers - General
tap plates and loose screws!! aghhh! en>fr fr>en
By d_ance Comments: 111, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 06:19 AM

It's been bugging me, but in class (the class i undertake myself when i'm not teaching) we had a discussion about tap plates and the best ones on the market (at the moment i'm obsessed with some capezio plates)...anyway...and we we're talking about the old rattle taps..(which annoy the hell out of me but oh well)...my teacher told everyone, that instead she likes to loosen the screws on her tap shoes!! OMG IF MY TAP CLASS OF GIRLS DID THIS I WOULD SHOOT THEM...firstly, it ruins the dance studio's floor and secondly, does she want to break her leg!! imagine if her plate flew off or got caught on a bump in the floor?! Although I hate rattle taps, at least they are specifically made as a two piece plate (the larger piece screwed tightly to the shoe).....

unbelievable!!..you should never loosen your screws but tighten then regularly!!

14 Replies to tap plates and loose screws!! aghhh!

re: tap plates and loose screws!! aghhh! en>fr fr>en
By livetodance26 Comments: 152, member since Wed Apr 26, 2006
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 06:24 AM
I teach in Western Australia and everyone here loosens the tap plates on their tap shoes...Not so much so that the screws are protruding and can scrape the floor but enough so that the tap plate is not so tight to the shoe...Everybody does things differently I know, but it seems that over here it is considered to improve the quality of the sound.
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 06:36 AM
Edited by d_ance (84555) on 2008-02-21 06:37:54
im in victoria!!...we always joke over this side about you guys over there being a bit ''behind''.. hehe jk :)
By faerydust00Premium member Comments: 1262, member since Wed Apr 18, 2007
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 06:38 AM
I think its a matter of what tension you like on your taps, which may mean you need to tighten them, and it may mane you need to loosen them. I personally like a little wiggle, so I tend to loosen mine a tad...and I've never caused damage to a floor in the 10+ years that I've been doing this. I think its a matter of knowing when to say when...
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 06:48 AM
""loosening the screws can cause the holes to widen, the screws will fall out and eventually have nothing left to attach to""...

if you want a different sound prehaps try swapping plates i.e. between teletones, techno taps and shockwave..i've done this before and yes you can tell this difference
By Ms_Mel Comments: 244, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 06:54 AM
Tap plates vibrate when you strike them on the floor. If you loosen then JUST a tad, the sound quality improves. Think of a triangle from a symphony (or an old wild west movie when they call the cowboys in for dinner LOL). If you hold the triangle by the chain at the top and tap it, you get a long ringing sound as the metal vibrates. But if you hold the actual triangle and try to strike it, the sound is totally different.

In addition, when the plates are loosened up just slightly, you are not only going to get the sound from striking the tap on the floor, you also get a slight sound from the tap plate simultaniously hitting the sole of your shoe, which adds to the overall sound.

I personally prefer tight taps for when I'm in class, but loosened taps when I'm performing, especially on a wooden floor stage. To loosen, I just take a screwdriver and turn the screw about 1/4 of a turn.

I hope that makes sense. :)
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 07:00 AM
I used to like the sound of the loosened taps as well, it always seemed to me to be more "jiggly" if that makes any sense. Now, I prefer my students have tightly screwed tap plates. I have more of recreational students who don't have the best tap technique to begin with, and the tightened tap plates make them sound alot cleaner.
By DaDancingPsych Comments: 2947, member since Wed Dec 18, 2002
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 08:27 AM
Certainly you can play slightly with the tightness of your taps. (I always keep mine tight, but they work their way looser.) There is a woman in a tap class that I have been taking and she is a BEAUTIFUL dancer!!! Always has nice sounds and can pull anything off. She got a pair of K360's and they have only made her better. Well, she kept loosening and loosening her taps (I almost gifted her my screwdriver that she was borrowing), until her sound (in my opinion) was just terrible. The taps jiggled so much and she doesn't need help producing anything. I knew I was right when her tap screw went flying across the room... *sigh*
By AmyK Comments: 566, member since Thu Nov 28, 2002
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 PM
hmmm maybe this is why I always think my old tap shoes sound better!
By startapper Comments: 1368, member since Thu Oct 26, 2006
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 03:57 PM
I prefer my students and my own taps to be tight. My tap teacher didn't allow them when I was growing up. She used to tell us that "rattle taps" were used by studios who didn't teach clean tap technique. I don't necessarily believe it, I just remember her saying it.
By tappingangel Comments: 908, member since Sun Apr 27, 2003
On Sun Feb 24, 2008 04:50 AM
I hate jingle taps as well.

However...you actually CAN loosen your taps on some shoes. Not to create a "jiggly sound"..but to change the pitch.

Alot of street dancers that I know, as well as myself, do this. You can get alot of different pitches from it. It all depends on the vibration of the tap. It contributes alot to "making your own style" of tap.
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12093, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sun Feb 24, 2008 05:04 AM
I don't do the jingle tap thing, although I know people that love it to the extent that they even put a 5c coin in there. ARGH!

Generally speaking, I do like my taps to be slightly loosened for pitch purposes. I only do the 'dead tap' screw tight thing when my shoes are in need of plugging and basically need to be rescrewed after every 5 mins or so.
By TapTeacher Comments: 26, member since Sun Apr 08, 2007
On Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 PM
For more advanced students whose technique is squeaky clean I use "jingle" taps. When the technique is right on the jingle tap makes a sound with a little oomph. For those students with less than perfect technique jingle taps only make the tapping sound sloppy so I never use jingle taps with them. We don't loosen our taps though, Main Street Dancewear sells a tap shoe that comes with jingle taps - it's their adjustable tap assembly, no loosening of screws necessary.
By cheerspirit Comments: 3843, member since Thu Apr 29, 2004
On Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 PM
I find that sounds are much crisper when the taps are loosened, and sound "dead" when they are too tight.
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12093, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:13 PM
Hear hear - dead heel taps in particular, for me. It got to the point where I got so frustrated I actually ended up using a high-pitched metal for my heel tap (previously Capezio). It never sounds dead now! :D

ReplySendWatch