Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
Mod business and why you might not hear from me right away.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 06:36 AM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2008-02-28 06:37:38 sticky

I hate to moan and complain but I'm tired of being accused of turning a blind eye to things, and of being accused of being a guilty party when things don't get taken care of right away.

I'll try to be as nice as I can when I say this.....but there is only one of me and 100's of you.

Let me give you all an idea of what my personal life is currently like.

I work for the Government.....my schedule consists of 12 hour shifts.

I work 2 12's than have 2 days off than I'll work a 3 day 12 than have 2 days off....my worknight starts at 6pm and ends at 6 am. While I'm at work I DO NOT have access to my e-mail nor the mod reports. Nor do I have access to the Highland boards.

I come home and sleep (if I can for 8 hours) than go right back into work.... lately because I've been fighting some bug and feeling a bit green around the gills I have been sleeping longer. (Yesterday I think I slept 14 hours?)I might jump on quickly and post something on these days....but I generally don't have time to get to much if any reports.

On my time off I try to divide my time between here, my husband, house chores and when I can dance.

I understand some of you are frustrated because things aren't being taken care of as fast as you would like them to be....but please realize I do not live on DDN nor do any of the other mods.

Matters of the Highland boards are generally left to me...and I try to get to them as fast as I can....if it's something simple that the other mods can handle they will take care of it. If it's political in nature they tend to let me handle it.

Which brings me to another point....if it's extremely political in nature PM me about it as I'll probably see that quicker than I will a mod report. (My mod box right now have over 6,000 messages in it-finding specific messages is like trying to find a needle in a haystack). I should get to PM's in a day or so days much quicker than a mod report. You can check and see if it's been read my me by checking your sent Pm's.....if you don't see that than I haven't read it. :)

*Note* Every time you read it it will show up in the read count so keep that in mind as well and keep track of how many times you have viewed it.

So I guess that's it for now...all I'm asking for is some patience....and perhaps some understanding that none of the mods live on DDN.

-Maggie

4 Replies to Mod business and why you might not hear from me right away.

re: Mod business and why you might not hear from me right away.
By GonnaBeAStar Comments: 3928, member since Wed Feb 20, 2002
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 07:07 AM
Maggie, don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should consider giving up your place as a Mod?
You're clearly finding it a strain, and obviously working 12 hour shifts and also trying to mod the site isn't easy.

We don't tend to have a lot of problems over here (as far as I'm aware) but when there are problems elsewhere I mod, they do tend to get caught/fixed/replied to quickly.

Again, please don't think I'm saying you're not good at the job, but I know there are loads of other long-term members who have a lot more time and could take the job and maybe give you a break?
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 07:24 AM
Thanks,

It's not so much as a strain as it's I can't be here 24/7....although I would LOVE to sit in my jammies and talk to you guys rather than go to work! :D

I'm a bit frustrated that people seem to think I'm around all the time...I'm not....I can't be.

Lihn has talked about having a localized mod per forum to help all of us out.....but nothing concrete has come of that as yet, and I have no idea if it ever will.

Thanks for the support though!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun May 11, 2008 08:27 AM
We do have 11 other moderators that pick up the slack and we answer all mod reports within 24 hours. While not every mod gets on here everyday most do and we all have plenty of time to browse and post as well as work the site right now. Maggie, don't stress. :D
By Celtefan Comments: 241, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 AM
A lot of people expect very reactive moderators as they think moderators full time appointed and paid by the website. Thanks for remember it is not always like that. Your contribution allows all of us to exchange about Highland dance (as no exchange website without moderator) but do not hesitate to stop if the price to pay increases too much (health and family must not be sacrified!).

ReplySendWatch