Forum: Canada / Toronto

Dance programs in University
By dk1045
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:53 AM

I am so extremely excited for university i cant wait!
i really want to go to ryerson or york but i am nt sure if i would get in
i am currently in an arts highschool but i am definety not the best.
can anyone tell me more about the programs
i have been reading old threads and it makes me want to know so much more.
do you do alot of jumps and turns in your audition?
who are the teachers/auditoners?

thanks a ton

6 Replies to Dance programs in University

re: Dance programs in University
By Stephy111
On Sat Mar 22, 2008 01:51 PM
Hi! I dont know much about ryerson but I auditioned for York last year and got in. considering that I was from a recreational studio, that I didn't got a fine arts high school, I would say go ahead and try!!

at york, I know that they are not looking for 180 turnout and crazy leg extension; they are looking for potential. I don't remember much about the audition because I was too nervous (lol), but I do remember that the ballet class was like a regular ballet class. normal barre, and normal center work (adage, petit allegro, medium allegro, not sure about grand allegro...) and I think we did travelling pirouettes from the corner but I'm not sure.
For the modern class, It wasn't too hard (because they consider that not everyone is modern-trained, and there are different kind of modern dance)
Then the improv activity at the end (that was the hardest part for me but I guess it didn't go too bad lol)

Thats about it, if you have more questions don't be afraid to ask! I think you can also e-mail your questions to the universities and they will answer back! ;)
take care!
By dk1045
On Wed Mar 26, 2008 03:40 PM
thanks so much :)
its nice to know because i definetly do not have 180 turnout :P
By Stephy111
On Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:06 PM
dont worry, I don't have one either, and I don't think a lot of girls have a true 180 degree turnout ;)
By indigo_dancer
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 07:01 PM
I auditioned for george brown, ryerson, and york. I would have to say that Ryersons audition is surely the hardest and Yorks audition is the easiest with George Brown in the middle. But it depends on what you want. York is heavily academic and George Brown is heavily dance with Ryerson 80% dance and 20% academic. Technique is key for both George Brown and Ryerson for admission. Academics, potential, and passion is for York. I hope this kinda helped to see where you could fit in. xx
By cbmm
On Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:09 PM
I'm interested in any further details of the Ryerson audition, such as # of participants, degree of difficulty, level of training for most participants, expectations, how many are chosen. Was it enjoyable/comfortable?
Was there more empahsis on ballet or jazz?

Thanks in advance..
By two_left_feet_2
On Wed Apr 23, 2008 03:02 PM
I've always heard that York's program is more modern based than Ryerson's, which tends to be more ballet. Is this true?

ReplySendWatch