Forum: Guard / Color Guard

why should she join?
By LSguardgrl95
On Mon Mar 10, 2008 07:29 PM

I have a little sister who will be able to join our junior guard next year. she isn't sure if she wants to. Why should she???

7 Replies to why should she join?

re: why should she join?
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:55 AM
There are tons of reasons she should, but it varies from person to person.

For me, I made a really good group of friends that I had the entire time I did guard and since we were already together it made it fun and we had lots of time to hang out. I also learned self-discipline skills and boosted my confidence. Guard basically made me who I am now, even though I don't practice with a team anymore.
By Munki03
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 03:32 PM
It sounds like you may be concerned about being on guard with your sister. Would you be on the same team if your school has multiple teams?
By Flitzcgcg06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 19, 2008 08:51 AM
When it all comes down to it, it really depends on if she really wants to join or not. If she doesn't really want to and she does she might hate it the whole time.

But to give her some information, I would just say that (to someone young) that you have a lot of fun, get to travel around and perform, get in really good shape and make a lot of good friends. I had some positive and negatives with my guard experience but it really depends on what guard you are in. Tell her some specifics about yours.
By Colombian89
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 01:10 AM
Well...I don't know what you mean by junior guard. Is this like a middle school or intermediate guard. And what sort of time commitment and work is involved.
Here we do high school and independent guards. And it is a lot of work and time commitment cause we are competing against a lot of other real good guards. But personally I love the fact that its a performance and art and a physical activity all at once. I marched high school marching band...but when winterguard came...I took the risk and absolutely loved it.
By TwirlSuperstar
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 PM
simple, the fun of it, learning discipline and marching. Making new friends, traveling to different places. What isn't to like.
By dancer_meggs
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:33 PM
Hey if none of the other things convince her, tell her it looks pretty good on a college application! You can say you were in 2 different things--color guard and marching band!--if she sticks with it all four years that shows her dedication to a specific thing, colleges like to see that too. If she doesn't want to do a sport and likes this better than the alternatives like cheerleading and dance team, that's even more motivation! I know that's not really a good reason to join, but it is a plus.
By danzinchyk416
On Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 AM
Well guard is awesome for a couple differenct reasons. You make so many friends that you can trust and have fun with because your around them so much. Also, its such a hard activity. So when you accomplish something, you feel so proud of yourself. Looking back, you'll feel so proud of yourself for coming so far in such a hard activity. Also, its so much fun to have a big group of people that your like family with. Its also fun because I like to have a busy schedule so I don't get bored, and this activity definitely gives me a busy schedule. Guard will also help you later on in life. It teaches you perserverance skills and determination. Also, it teaches you patience.

ReplySendWatch