Forum: Teams / Drill Teams

Tips!
By danceizawesome
On Wed Mar 12, 2008 06:27 PM
Edited by danceizawesome (169778) on 2008-03-12 18:28:29 spelling

hello everyone! I will be trying out for drill team in less than a month and I just need any pointers anyone can give! ANYTHING! like is there any way that I can frequently do headstands? is there any secret tips? how can I have confidence and stand out? what would be appropriate to wear? how can i keep the nerves down? thank you soo soo much to anyone who helps! you are my hero!

9 Replies to Tips!

re: Tips!
By punkgirl59
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:58 AM
Where do you live? Is your drill team more marching with the band in big boots and flags? Or military, precision, and jazz?

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By danceizawesome
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 07:36 PM
definitely military, precison, and jazz..
By punkgirl59
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 01:43 AM
I was on drill for 4 years, so here's some tips! I just copied and pasted a PM to another member who tried out (and made it!) so if it doesn't answer all your questions, feel free to ask!

When we tried out, we usually had to learn three dance, a short jazz/lyrical/hip hop piece (depending on the year) and a military, and a kick. Then we also did across the floor leaps and turns, and center floor fouettes and pirouettes and stuff. They got to see most of our technique during across the floor and center floor, so during the dances I think they were mostly looking for performance.

In jazz, they want facials like CRAZY, the stupider you feel doing it, the better you probably look. In military, stay as sharp as possible. I would practice military the most at home, its all about angles and sharpness and being straight. Practice in front of the mirror to make sure your arms are exactly where they should be. You'll probably be trying out in the gym, so there will be no mirrors, so make sure you have it perfect at home. Keep your arms and straight and sharp as possible, to the point where they hurt just because you're moving them so hard. In kick, they're obviously looking for...kicks. I noticed in your post you asked about fan kicks. ALWAYS, always keep your hips square. No matter what kick you are doing, they are huge on that. Stretch out a ton, and if you dont have your splits, try hard to get them, you'll probably have to do them in a military or kick routine, and they might check.

Besides that, they're all about attitude. My coaches would sit in the gym at the very top of the bleachers, so we would have to project up to them. Keep your head up at all times, huge smile on your face, no matter what you are doing. Attitude is everything. Keep a good one. Dont be late, come in exactly what they want you to wear, follow directions exactly as you hear them. Dont talk while they talk. I'm sure you already know this if you've been dancing your whole life, I swear I dont think you're stupid! I'm just trying to think of every little thing.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
So...they'll probably want at least a double pirouette, maybe on both sides, fouttes, piques, chaines, regular leaps, side leaps, probably switch leaps, and maybe back leaps. We had to do calypsos and axels, not sure if you will. It will basically just run like any jazz class. But it will be hard. They make it really hard on purpose, and they move really fast, and you feel like you're the only one who doesnt get it. But everyone feels like that. Dont give up, smile big, put personality into EVERYTHING you do, and you'll do fine.
By danceizawesome
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:09 AM
thank you soo much! that is great advice- it really helps! thanks again!! :)
one little question:
how do you know if your hips are square?
By punkgirl59
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 03:03 AM
First of all, I don't know why it posted half of my post after I signed my name. Second of all, I spelled fouettes without an e. It was late. Sorry.

Anyway, if your upper body is straight and forward when you kick, your hips are probably square. If your leaning to the opposite side that you're kicking, they're probably not. Your hip should not be raised at all, if that makes sense. If you put your index and middle fingers on your hip bones and kick, the bones should stay still and forward. If you feel them rotating at all, they aren't square. I'm sorry, I'm horrible at explaining this. I guess just make sure you aren't lifting your hip and leaning as you kick.

If this makes no sense, let me know and I'll try to find some pictures or something.

To answer some of your other questions, if they don't specify a dress code, I'd just wear a tight fitting tank top and jazz pants. Nothing too bright or flashy. We had to wear all black. And jazz shoes, of course. Some people actually came to tryouts in jeans and Skechers. I obviously know you wont do that, but still. Make sure your hair is back and completely out of your face. Some schools like your makeup to be performance ready, mine didn't. Double check to make sure of any requirements they have. Remember that you want to stand out, but not as the girl with the gold sequin top and drag queen makeup. Look professional but not flashy.

I dont know of any way to calm your nerves, because I never could, even after I had been on the team for 3 years. But you can fake it. And you need to fake it. You need to act like you have all the confidence in the world. But remember, confidence does not equal arrogance. You have to act like you're not nervous. Every other girl there is going to be just as nervous, but they wont act it. Neither can you.

Also, don't let yourself be intimidated by any of the other girls or the coaches. My coaches threw these INSANE combinations at us. It was like, chaine, fouette, low chaine, russian, pique, side leap, layout, chaine...all to this insanely fast techno music. They didn't actually expect anyone to be able to do it, especially since we all had about 2 minutes to learn it, but they wanted to see how we could handle it. There were girls that would just get in there, try it, do their best, and finish it, and the girls that would crack under the pressure because it really was impossible. Anything they throw at you, just do it and do your best. They want to see you try. I promise you that EVERYONE, even the girls already on the team, are nervous and don't know what's going on. Just like you. I promise. Even if you're scared to death, fake it like you're life depends on it. Coaches can smell fear. lol.

When you're learning and performing the dances, dont be afraid to get right in the front and center. Even if you mess up and take the whole day to learn it, the coaches are watching you, they notice that you want to learn and are trying, and it WILL look good. Dont hang out in the back because you're afraid of messing up. You're learning an entire dance in five minutes, EVERYONE is going to mess up. It's ok. Like I said, they dont expect you to be perfect, they expect you to try your best.

Also, DONT talk to the other girls during the actual tryout. You're not here to make friends, you're here to impress the judges. You can talk after you make the team. Only talk when you have breaks and you know its ok. Dont say a peep while you're learning the dances, doing across the floor, anytime when they might be watching and judging. And NEVER when they're talking, obviously. They are very strict about this. You are there to learn and impress. Dont get me wrong, don't be snotty, but only be friendly and chatty when appropriate.

As far as headstands, you just need to practice your butt off. Have you got them at all, or are you just starting to learn? Let me know where you are and I'll help you out.

Ha that was supposed to be a one paragraph reply about squaring your hips, but I just kept thinking of more stuff.

Let me know if you have ANY questions. I really want you to make it! I'm more than happy to help.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By danceizawesome
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 05:45 PM
thanks so much for more advice! that helps so much! so yeah thanks a ton!
aobut headstands- I have learned how to do them. I used to only be able to do them on carpet but finally I am able to do it on the hard floor. which is good!:)lol
but I cant seem to hold them very long. I get kinda wobbly and stuff. do you know of any way to at least help you not fall frontwards like onto your back?
also-any tips for a military routine? sometimes when I am practicing some basic military things my coach taught me, I feel like I am trying to be so sharp I am like... shaking. haha sounds wierd! but.. yeah. well thanks again SO much! I really appreciate your help!
tryouts start this tuesday and thats when 1st cuts are! i'll let you know how it goes!:)
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 01, 2008 07:21 PM
I Made 1st Cuts!!:)
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 01, 2008 07:22 PM
?
By punkgirl59
On Wed Apr 02, 2008 01:01 AM
Yay! Sorry I didn't get back to you! But good luck! Let me know how it goes tomorrow.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK

ReplySendWatch