Poll: Irish / Good Luck, Congratulations, Thank You

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Do you congratulate other girls when they win a dance (even if it was yours)?
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 05:59 PM

I know it's hard to say good job to a girl/boy who took your 1st, but it's nice anyway. Or.....is it just feeding her/his ego?

Many ways to look at it!

43 Replies to Do you congratulate other girls when they win a dance (even if it was yours)?

re: Do you congratulate other girls when they win a dance (even if it was yours)? (karma: 1)
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 06:05 PM
I'm still in Prizewinner, so I'm not always around to see the winner find their number on the poster, but if I do know who it is and I see them afterwards I do congratulate them. I would feel good if one of my competitors did that after I won, so I figure other people would feel good if I said it to them. I do say it even if I had "planned" to win that one. I'll win when I win, and if I don't it's because it's not my turn yet.
re: Do you congratulate other girls when they win a dance (even if it was yours)?
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 14, 2008 07:49 AM
I usually do. If it's someone that I know has a big head already then no, I don't congradulate them...but that doesn't seem to happen that often.
The majority of the time I will say congrats to the dancers that placed in my group.
re: Do you congratulate other girls when they win a dance (even if it was yours)?
By IDHypnotistPremium member
On Fri Mar 14, 2008 07:59 AM
Yes. Good karma is good karma.
By seacaptain
On Fri Mar 14, 2008 08:37 AM
Part of any sport is good sportsmanship and that includes congratulating the winner.

Deciding based on your perception of someone's ego is petty; if you see the winner you should congratulate them.
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 03:48 AM
I do, because I would like to be congratulated as well (that sounds more selfish than it should ...)
Here is a picture of a fairly recent feis. I know I'm the one in first, but it does show the congratulating-part.
By califeisgirl
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 04:00 AM
Always! Well, almost always, and i never really find it that hard to congratulate someone. Most of the girls I compete against I've known for years, some of us even were in our First feis together. They are friends of mine, so why not celebrate in their success...it's almost as good as winning myself.
As for their ego, well, I can't do anything about their ego but I can do something about my sportsmanlike behavior soI tend to just worry about that. I see congulations as something that should be done and always take care of it ASAP. Once a friend of mine won and I didn't place at all, even though I was having a good year to that point. I was really disappointed, but automatically I went and congrulated her before I even thought about how upset I was. Like someone else said, you'll win when you will win, that's not the other girls fault.
By wigmom
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 07:08 AM
Now that my dd is in PC, she's now starting to understand that it's harder to get that medal or trophy or even stand in the top half. She's still so young and has plenty of time, however, since she is so young, I'm hoping to instill in her the beauty of being a graceful...."non-winner" and extend her hand, her heart and congratulations to the girls that did place and did win and show her that what goes around, comes around and that one day, she will be recieving that congratulations from someone that she once extended her hand to. :)
By holly_irishdance
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 AM
I always congratulate the winner!
Untill at one feis a while agi I congratulated the dancer who came 1st and she was really snobby so now I don't congratulate her lol, but apart from that yes I do as I would like to be congratulated if I won :)

Holly
x
By reelycutemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:35 PM
when I danced I would always say congrats to the winner of a comp its just good sportsmanship and polite if you know what I mean.
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 PM
Abso-toota-lootley! We all worked hard to get where we're at... I guess I "forgot" to seek the girl out if she was cutting in check-in lines to get a better spot... heh heh... no problems with that now that I'm in championships.
By MicNic
On Wed Mar 19, 2008 04:32 PM
Yeh of course we do, its great sportmanship.
By Dancerinagirl
On Sun Mar 23, 2008 09:48 AM
I always congratulate dancers in my competition. Many of the dancers in the competitions have become my dear friends and I always get excited for them and their victories. It's good to reconize someones hard work. I am happy for my friends and never show that I'm dissapointed with my own placement. If I get upset, I think to my self, "It's one feis, don't get worked up about it. Have fun dancing is the important thing." Like what MicNic said, it's good sportsman ship.
By dancingfool93
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 AM
Yes, I always like to congratulate the winner when I get the chance. Most of the time, the winners are very gracious, but every now and then you get a snobby girl/boy, but that is very rare. :)
~dancingfool93
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 PM
For me it depends. If its after a major like the qualifing I'll say Well Done to some of the people in my age group if I see them around after. Or side stage if someone says Good Luck to me, I'll say Good Luck to them too.

Claire.
By rockinreeler
On Fri Jul 04, 2008 09:33 AM
I do, it's good sportsmanship, I guess. :)
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 04, 2008 09:56 AM
I do. It's polite and I also like to be congratulated when I've gotten first.
By katerpillar
On Wed Jul 09, 2008 09:07 PM
I always try to congratulate the winner whenever possible. I'm always so happy for them. Specially to see their happy faces
Now the bad part. I have a few very spoiled very unkind people in my comp. Certain people who try as best they can to get in your way and ruin your dance. So do I congratulate them....No. It would be like saying "I'm glad you pushed me around out there. Why don't you do it to more dancers!" There's just no way.
By katusmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 01:30 AM
always.
no matter what i place get, win or not, i always try and congratulate everyone in my section.
a little bit of nice-ness never went astray to those big headed people either- and we can only hope our manners will rub off onto them!
besides, not congratulating them could come off as a bit of hostility, which could then fuel their behaviour? i don't know. but that's what i've been taught. always treat others how you would like to be treated yourself.
By sugardance2member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 08:31 AM
Definitely.
I don't like there to be any ice between me and my competitors. In my prelims, we have all become great friends! We always chit-chat before we dance. We always say "good luck" or "good job" when we are walking on stage, and the previous dancers are still on stage. Then we are excited for each other at awards! We congratulate each other! I think it is nice, and I'm glad that we are friends.

Katie
By irishdancer66
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 01:37 PM
yes always even if it is hard its just good sportsmanship
By irishdance_lmp
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 02:26 PM
I always congratulate the other girls! Even if it was someone you really wanted to beat, they obviously deserved the win and worked hard for it!
By ReelJiggered
On Tue Sep 23, 2008 07:54 AM
... And this is why ID is sooo awesome! For the most part, we are all nice folks that recognize each others' hard work. (And really just find any excuse to be all giddy throughout a feis.)

K
By TwinPeakesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 24, 2008 03:21 AM
Yes. It shows sportsmanship, and not being a sore loser.
By MrsFinnigan
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 06:13 PM
I encourage that in my students. Not only is it just plain good sportsmanship, it makes the competition that much fun for the dancers (and everyone else) when they are genuinely supportive in others' defeats and happy in others' victories.

Some of the sweetest, most awwwww-inspiring moments I've ever seen in feiseanna were of dancers celebrating each others' victories. Also, as a younger dancer, seeing the championship competitors congratulate each other, oftentimes very warmly, as their awards were presented made me want that much more to remain a part of Irish dance.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch