Popular Ballet

Helpful core excercises and stretches by S_H_A_O_
I was wondering what type of core excercises and stretches are helpful to do at home. I just need...

Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Ask a Studio Owner
Hip-Hop for 3-5 year olds en>fr fr>en
By natalek Comments: 124, member since Fri Feb 01, 2008
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 05:53 PM

Do you have these kind of classes? In our state I don't see anything like that, all hip-hop classes start at age 5-6.. and I know many people who's looking for hip-hop for 3 year olds.. I'm planning on opening one in my studio.. but I'm wondering why there's no such classes... maybe there's something I don't know..

33 Replies to Hip-Hop for 3-5 year olds

re: Hip-Hop for 3-5 year olds en>fr fr>en
By crathornPremium member Comments: 1032, member since Sun May 21, 2006
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 06:47 PM
This age group is tough. This is our first season offering,what we call, PEE WEE Hip Hop 4-5.5 year old. I would never offer it for 3 year olds.
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 07:11 PM
crathorn wrote:

This age group is tough. This is our first season offering,what we call, PEE WEE Hip Hop 4-5.5 year old. I would never offer it for 3 year olds.

but why not? there is pre-dance for 3 year olds... what difference with hip-hop? I'm asking, because I've never done hip-hop myself, so, I don't really know..
By missdance94 Comments: 98, member since Wed May 19, 2004
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 08:05 PM
We offer our "kiddie hip-hop" to kids age 3-5. It has been a huge success. Some parents are looking for these type of classes, so we started offering this 4 years ago. We now have 3 full classes of kiddie hip-hop. They are a huge hit at recitals!

Jamie
By Mandance Comments: 2794, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 08:40 PM
I constantly have people looking for hip-hop for three year olds and I laugh because I think it's a joke. We just have creative movement for that age. I am always looking to make more money and get more students, what can you possibly offer for hip-hop for a 3 year old? What do they do?
By fountainarts Comments: 4118, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 08:59 PM
I am with mandance. Give me a break, yes they bring in money, but honestly, is that all it's about?
Kids don't even know right from left at this age and we are going teach them hip hop? hmmmmm.
I much prefer kids get the basic dance concepts down and then move into a style specific dance class. We don't offer hip hop until age 8.
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 09:09 PM
Edited by natalek (191388) on 2008-03-15 21:11:51
I was thinking that music is different for hip-hop, than just for pre-dance.. there's more beat in it and I know kids love it! my 18 month daughter loves the beat, she starts dance right away.. so maybe it's not about movements, but more about music?
By dancedeb Comments: 25906, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 09:50 PM
Exactly what kinds of moves/steps would you teach 3-year -olds in a hip hop class?
By missdance94 Comments: 98, member since Wed May 19, 2004
On Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:03 PM
Actually you can teach hip-hop at such a young age by incorporating rhthym and dance through appropriate music. After all, some kids are in it for the fun of it, right? You can teach them the fundamentals of dance in a different perspective. Not all kids dream of being ballerinas...as long as it is not done in an inappropriate way, hip-hop classes for youngsters is a great outlet for those that are looking for fast-paced and fun dancing...
By RileyA Comments: 2914, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 03:04 AM
Wow 3-5 year old hip hop, thats something I have never seen or heard of before. We offer general dance from 2 years old, they can take Jazz from 4 years old but no hip hop until about 9-10.
By vegasgirl104 Comments: 109, member since Sun Nov 18, 2007
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 07:54 AM
I agree, I know kids just love to move to the music, but I think the kinds of movement they should be doing is very basic from 6 and under. So we will be teaching Hip Hop from the age 7 and up!
Just like kids clothes, let them be little for as long as they can. Just my opinion.
By fountainarts Comments: 4118, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 08:45 AM
I use a variety of age appropriate music in my classes for children under 7. Some classical, some upbeat, etc.
We also work alot on rhythm.
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:47 AM
but you can't really teach ballet to 3-5 year olds either... I don't see the difference...
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:13 AM
I so disagree. I have over 75 students 5 and under. I teach ballet tap and jazz to these firecrackers.
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:37 AM
crathorn wrote:

I so disagree. I have over 75 students 5 and under. I teach ballet tap and jazz to these firecrackers.

but you can't teach real ballet.. that's what I'm saying, you can give to 3-5 year olds different styles to choose from, and I don't see why there's a lot of tap, ballet, jazz for such a young age and hip-hop doesnt go with it that often..
By dancengroovegirl Comments: 2261, member since Mon Oct 30, 2006
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:42 AM
We don't offer hip-hop or jazz till age 7.

The only class for my 2 1/2 -4 year olds is a general dance class where they get introduced to the dance world and we work on how to behave in class, right from left, motor skills and rhythem.

We have a ballet/tap combo class at age 5-6 and then they can add a jazz/hip-hop class at age 7.

Most little kids hear the music and dance to it for fun (we do it in a more stuctured enviorment). I could dance before I could walk- (I would rock back and forth to upbeat music on my hands and knees - that doesn't mean I could take hip-hop).

Another thing- those parents and people not in the dance world see what they do in the music videos, on Disney shows or even the little kids shows where they are moving as hip-hop when it's not. I'm not an expert on hip-hop but I know the difference between hip-hop and jazz and know at some ages a person isn't physically ready to do those moves. Whether it brings in more money or not we as studio owners need to help educated the non-dance parents so that they can help their children make smart decisions in dance.-- There's my rant.
re: Hip-Hop for 3-5 year olds (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Dancr4ever Comments: 202, member since Sat Mar 27, 2004
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:50 AM
Edited by Dancr4ever (88301) on 2008-03-16 11:53:01
True, REAL Hip Hop (not just a funky jazz or throw a few sharp arm movements in) is difficult to teach a young child. Their gross motor skills are more developed and the sharpness of Hip Hop requires fine motor skills. Their stomachs stick out (which is normal) and they have no concept of how to hold their "center" which is also required for quick movement. They have a very hard time hearing music and in Hip Hop often steps are done to match a part of the music that's not so clearly defined which makes Hip Hop interesting.

Developmentally appropriate for that age is creative movement, pre-ballet and tap at 5ish.

Young kids should be exploring what THEY can do, the joy of moving, what their bodies can do, creative movement, learn there are no limits to their creativity, how to take turns, line up, be exposed to all different types of music, use props (this age does best with something in their hand and that is a well known developmental process for this age).

I know it might bring in more money but is it true Hip Hop? Most of the hip hop I see at local studios in my area is not. Parents don't know the difference.

Just like jazz is a more mature dance form I'd wait to introduce that style of dance until older.
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 01:26 PM
Real ballet? Real Hip Hop? That is why we call these classes "PRE" or "INTRO" We are introducing them to ballet, tap, jazz and so on. Yes, it is real. First position is first position any way you look at it. Flap is a flap. A kick ball change is a kick ball change regardless of what level or age of the student. When you put 2 beginner dancers side by side one age 4 and one age 10 and teach them a shuffle. More than likely the 10 year old will do it pretty good. It may take the four year old a couple tries. However, she will more than likely do it correctly. Again a shuffle is a shuffle any way you look at it. Yes, it is real!
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 01:36 PM
I agree with you crathorn.. That's why I'm planning on opening pre-hop class.. I'm going to have pre-ballet as well.. I don't want to mix different music to our little students..
I know one little guy, who loves hip-hop dance and music, but there's no such a clas.. and he doesn't like ballet.. so, you can't put him into pre-ballet class.. and you how it is, while your child interested in something you want to give it to him and you don't want to wait 4 more years to start...
By danadwadance Comments: 152, member since Wed Feb 13, 2008
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 07:41 PM
This is by far one of our biggest classes. We call it pre-Hop
and it's combined boys and girls 3-5 years old. We have two classes of 25 each. They meet each week for a 1/2 hour. Because
of thier age we have two assistants with the teacher.
By SecretStar Comments: 74, member since Mon May 07, 2007
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 08:47 PM
It's all about the music & costumes. Kids are just extensions of their parents. If a parent isn't into ballet, they will not sign up their 3 year old for ballet. They will sign up their kid for something they like! It also has to do with the area you live in. Not many people want hip hop where I am, but I know many places that do!
By tapper1Premium member Comments: 123, member since Sun Sep 11, 2005
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 09:17 PM
UGH! Hip hop for 3yr olds? It would really only turn out to be creative movement anyways. I am so hoping this style of "dance" goes out soon.
By Mandance Comments: 2794, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 PM
What kind of music do you use for Hip-Hop for three year olds?
By placedancer Comments: 115, member since Mon Aug 27, 2007
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:09 PM
Edited by placedancer (184652) on 2008-03-27 23:13:32 REPLY TO NATALEK'S LITTLE GUY
for this kind of scenario i offer an all boys hip hop- boys only starting at 3& a half or 4 and up. they do a completely different class than the girls- much more physical. a lot of jumping and upper body related tricks- they love it, and lets face it until a certain age and level boys and girls don't really mesh well together, and they have such different strengths. the parents love this also- my 1st year having the class i started with 7 boys in the class, and maybe it will get more boys interested in dance because for most of us there is shortage!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16203, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Mar 28, 2008 08:35 AM
I am just trying to fathom trying to explore a child's creative side using hip hop music and trying to find age appropriate hip hop music for 3 year olds.

Hip-Hop incorporates so many isolations and their hand eye coordination is so under developed I just don't see how this could really work. Usually kids that are three should be able to jump on both feet, but one foot is very difficult. Usually 4 year olds can only jump on one foot 1-3 times. There are a lot of weight changes in hip-hop that would make teaching this style to 3 year olds nearly impossible if you look at basic childhood development.

So you get them in for pre-hip hop at 3. What different skills are they learning by age 5 or 6? In my opinion if you are staying true to the roots of hip-hop they still won't have the motor skills or physical development to do many kinds of isolations or floor work and will be repeating so much of what they have done the 3 years prior. You'll end up losing students in the long run because the turn over will be greater. If you start them at age 6 then by age 9 there is a significant difference in what they can do physically, they are more emotionally developed so they can string combinations together at a faster tempo, they are stronger so they can practice more difficult holds and freezes.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch