Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

novelty dance ideas??
By texasirishdancer
On Sun Mar 16, 2008 07:35 PM

I need help coming up with some ideas for a cute novelty dance for my high school dance team

last year i came up with a dance to carwash. The costumes were vibrant jumpsuits along with bucket, rags, sponges ect.

any imput would be greatly appericated!!!

thank you so much!!!
texasirishdancer

16 Replies to novelty dance ideas??

re: novelty dance ideas??
By Moon_Girlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 17, 2008 06:44 PM
austin powers theme song!! I've always wanted to do it
By groovychick0813member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 01:04 PM
One year my drill team officers did a novelty where they were dressed as newsies. Newsboy hats, suspenders, etc...all very "scrappy" looking, if you know what I mean. You could a song from the movie "Newsies" such as 'King of New York' or 'Once and For All'

Or if you don't like that, I was just at a competition where a team did a pirate-themed novelty to 'Hoist the Colours' from the "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" soundtrack. I didn't get to see their actual performance, but I saw them practice, and it seemed to be a lot of fun.

I hope I helped! Let me know what you decide to do!
By texasirishdancer
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 02:46 PM
thanks for the imput!! i'm still trying to decide but those ideas are really good!!
By dancinkae
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 07:10 PM
this year at my highschool dance competitions, sailors are really popular ..and really cute too! i also saw a really cute one to the song its raining men with umbrellas and rain coats and stuff..but its kinda more of a prop rather than character. good luck!
By luvs2dancealot
On Mon Mar 31, 2008 08:33 PM
I don't know of a song but what about plumbers or bellhops. Theres a song Is it scary by Michael Jackson maybe you could do somthing cool with that.
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 02, 2008 01:43 PM
We've done Grease, Broadway, Hippies, Barbies, Spice Girls, the Flintstones, and one year was really fun we did "Preps, Punks, and Nerds" where each group had their own song but then at the end we all came together and danced to "We Are Family".
By dancerdreams
On Sat Apr 05, 2008 08:45 AM
We've done good vs. evil, cops vs. robbers, a 90's TV show theme, and...holy cow, I feel like this was so long ago, haha. I can't remember the fourth. Those three were fun, though.
By luvs2dancealot
On Sat Apr 05, 2008 01:54 PM
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 03:29 PM
Do- Love Potion # 9!! You guys can something fun with that

or even better, do the version Dot Dot Dot did!!

Comment #7063452 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-04-08 22:40:34 double post

By dancing_diva_xo
On Sat May 03, 2008 09:15 PM
carwash seems cool, thats my dance this year and we have bright pink jump suits that are like neon with our names on them ! :)

i would recomend using the song "coffee in a carboard cup".
you could have half your girls dressed as waiters and with
platters with cardboard cups attached with velcro and have
the other half in skirts and ties acting a busisness. it
looks great and its such a fun song. good luck in the end !
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 05, 2008 07:54 PM
We once did a show with "Play that Funky Music" by Wild Cherry in it, and it was set like a gang type thing at the opening beats, with all the girls coming in one side with attitude, all the guys in the other, and facing each other off, then one going forwards from each group, meeting, dancing, inviting the rest through, then everyone mixing and having a cool sort of dance off but having fun together too. With some people winning from the girls gang and some winning from the boys at the end (we finished in couples with one stood one floored)

If the gender difference is really uneven, so you can't use the girls v boys idea you could do a costume theme, so that could show the difference.

Other songs that might work could be black or white (MJ) (obvious one) Or something with funky beats like Amerie, Take control, but that would have to have a different take on the choreo - like marionettes.
By dancer_girl9675
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 01:04 PM
This year we did a weather theme. At the first we danced with umbrellas and used the dancing in the rain song.. Then after that we used little wood rainbows and like ladder rainbows.. Then at the end we used the song Walkin On the Sunshine and used little round sunshines that we made. I loved that dance. I thought it was a great idea.
By darrendemers12
On Wed Jan 20, 2021 05:18 AM
Edited by darrendemers12 (359026) on 2021-01-20 05:19:17 i want to change some words
this year at my highschool dance competitions, sailors are really popular ..and really cute too! i also saw a really cute one to the song its raining men with umbrellas and rain coats and stuff..but its kinda more of a prop rather than character. good luck! double bed bedsheet cotton , pretty bed sheets , best quality bed sheets online , bridal satin sheets , sateen duvet cover set , baby razai set , 3 cushion sofa covers , crushed velvet bedding , razai cover price
By Kevin23
On Sun May 09, 2021 08:46 PM
I really all the ideas in the comment section. Click here for more ideas.
By JohnRico
On Mon Jun 21, 2021 08:32 AM
The ideas given was very wonderful and I liked it a lot! I also like the "coffe in a cardboard cup", that would be great! stamped concrete knoxville tn

ReplySendWatch