Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Tips About Tights
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 05:51 PM
Always have a back up pair in your bag! The morning of my last feis, I was putting my tights on at home (at 6:30 am) when I made/found a great big hole mid thigh. Absolutely no way to fix or hide it. Thank goodness there was an extra pair in my bag! Otherwise I would have been dancing in socks (not a pretty sight :) )
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 249, member since Fri Jul 18, 2008
On Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 PM
Thank you for the informations. Is a big help because sometimes is it a bit difficult do do the right thing :O)
By RealHappyFeet Comments: 88, member since Fri Sep 26, 2008
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 03:28 PM
A few years ago, one of our dancers wore her royal blue solo and she matched it with blue tights for a show. I thought it looked really cool but she didn't wear the tights again because her daughter said she looked like a Smurf!

My favorite brand of tights is DKNY!!
By ceiliqueen23member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 206, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:23 AM
this was some great info. Most of it I could really use. Thanks for the post it was great
By piercedpikachu Comments: 53, member since Fri May 09, 2008
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 06:31 PM
I've noticed that some of the tights I have seen in ID pics with adult dancers are slightly see through...
mines are fully opaque ballet tights :(
are they okay to use???
By Sapphie1031 Comments: 17, member since Wed Nov 18, 2009
On Mon Feb 01, 2010 08:12 AM
The best tights out there are Barysnikof (sorry for misspelling). They are elasta-knit and make your legs feel awesome.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:59 AM
Im not a tights fan, I don't like the feel of them in my shoes and think they get sweaty, I dont care how I look I am sticking to my poodle socks!
By daniela_n Comments: 8, member since Wed Apr 28, 2010
On Wed Apr 28, 2010 03:25 PM
I'm an adult irish dancer. With my new dress tights really look good. At the Europeans/Worlds I used tights bought from Pacelli. But I found out that on some pictures they become see through because of the flash.

So next time I'm going to buy the ones I used before.
It were (important, cause they don't get runs) microfibre thights with 90 denier. They are absolutely black.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Wed Apr 28, 2010 05:09 PM
also, not sure if it was mentioned or not, but here is a tip with sizing!
so tights are often sized by lettering (size A is if you 5' to 5'3 and under 120 lbs, or whatever it is, etc etc). If you fall in the middle of size A and size B, pick size B! Nothing is more unflattering than tights being STRETCHED across you muscular upper leg! its always better to have a little room, than have them struggeling to fit around your legs.
just a tip. not saying that ive seen this in the ID worlds, but in the outside world, ive seen it a few times and in my opinion its very unattractive...
great post!
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 112, member since Thu Mar 04, 2004
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 09:49 AM
Edited by jupitergurl44 (86206) on 2010-09-28 09:50:14 HTML didn't work, so I took it out.
Edited by jupitergurl44 (86206) on 2010-09-28 09:52:21 Research on denier done.
I just started wearing tights with my dress, and I have to say I think it looks better than socks did on me ^_^

Also, a wonderful place I've discovered is We Love Colors (www.welovecolors.com). I've had my current pair of tights from them for about a year. I haven't worn them often, but they've held up so far. They're quite comfortable, high denier (Solid Color Tights are 70 denier, and other styles have their denier listed) and they come in tons of colors (including black), styles, and sizes! Just make sure that you get them big enough to move in or they'll go see through with stretching. It's great for those of us who are larger than the average Irish Dancer.... I love these tights.
By rainbow84uk Comments: 55, member since Sun Feb 15, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 AM
Quick tip for anyone in the UK looking for really good durable tights for dancing... ASDA! I just bought a pair of 300 denier black tights for about 3 quid and they are amazing - really soft and soooo thick. I actually bought them just to wear normally but I'm definitely going to stock up on them for dancing. They feel like they'll last for ages and they're so cheap!
By Dollyd Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 22, 2010
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:05 PM
thank you for this great information, I didn't know they have rules for tights
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Mon Nov 22, 2010 02:48 PM
^Dollyd, they were going to have rules for tights, but then they decided not to. But the post is still full of good info if you like to dance in tights.
By RibenaRockstar Comments: 426, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Mon Nov 22, 2010 02:58 PM
Also for UK people - Primark stock black tights as well. Personally I like their 100 denier ones; they're opaque all the way up. And cheap.
By MeBeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 521, member since Wed Mar 02, 2011
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 05:09 PM
I'd like to add that putting lotion on your legs before putting on tights is NOT advisable. It'll make your legs MORE sweaty, and make your legs more prone to bacterial rashes.

Also, people talk about tights being underwear enough, and I'd like to respectfully disagree. No matter what how they're advertised, tights are not breathable. Direct contact with the spandex/nylon/whatever plastic-fabric blend on your crotch DOES increase your risk for bacterial and fungal infections. Please, for your own sake, wear underwear. They have underwear specifically designed for dancers (so you don't end up looking like you're wearing a nappy/diaper) AND, even if you do wear regular underwear, you're not competing in a leotard (and, you HAVE to wear spankies/kick pants/shorts in competition)so nobody is going to see it anyway.

Aside from that, I was wondering if you can wear coloured nylons/tights as "tan" and wear your poodle socks over them? (so it looks like you tanned your legs) I might start doing that, because tanning twice a month is a bit hard on the pocket book ;D
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 PM
^ It's been discussed on DDN before, if you search you may be able to find stuff. To sum up, yes lots of people wear tan tights. Choose either footless or stirrup tights - full footed tights under socks becomes very slippery inside your shoes. Some people claim you do not need to glue your socks up like this - the textures will grip each other and stay up. Others just glue right through the tights.

Just as a tip for anyone wearing tights, I recommend buying proper tights from a company that makes dancewear, rather than just something from a drugstore. Drugstore tights just don't cut it.
By MeBeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 521, member since Wed Mar 02, 2011
On Sat Dec 10, 2011 01:27 AM
Tunie- Thank you. I looked on the CLRG website and couldn't find anything, I hadn't really looked any further.

This post has been very helpful to me.
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 20, 2010
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 03:03 PM
My personal recommendation is Urban Outfitters' UO Opaque Tights. Although they're not intended for dance, they're the most opaque tights I've ever come across and I used my first pair for 3-4 years before a small run appear in the heel. I've also found that I don't have to pull them up constantly, the way I do with most other brands. And the best part is that they're pretty inexpensive at 2 pairs for $20.

The dance school I'm hoping to join eventually uses black tights for their school costume. They require either Capezio #1815 or Danskin #607. So I presume those would be good options as well.
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 251, member since Sat Mar 26, 2011
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 05:52 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for a good pair of convertible tights? I have been wearing just regular black tights from Wal-mart or K-mart, but I just got a new pair of hard shoes 2 months ago and I have found that I need to wear a specific type of running socks to keep from getting my heels torn up by my shoes. I have a pair of those socks in black and was planning to add them under the tights for hard shoe and not for soft shoe, but I am overwhelmed by all the convertible tights choices. If anyone has a favorite pair, please let me know.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 06:02 PM
I wear Capezio Ultra Soft Transition Tights. You can find them on discoutndance.com - they are Style No 1816. They are very comfortable and they last a really long time.
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 251, member since Sat Mar 26, 2011
On Fri Feb 01, 2013 03:26 PM
Do they run true to the size chart?
By irish_tap_jazz Comments: 94, member since Tue Jun 05, 2012
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:05 PM
Here is my tip....bare with me on this but it really helps me...I put dove sensitive skin deodorant on the inside of my thighs to reduce sweating and chafing. I swear by this!!! I use it in the summer when I wear everyday dresses too.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:15 PM
DayOver30 wrote:

Do they run true to the size chart?

Sorry, I didn't see this post until now! I think they run pretty close to the size chart. I get the L/XL and I am I in that bubble on the chart. I used to wear the XXL when I was heavier and although I weighed more than the size chart went up to, I am fairly short (5'4.5") so they worked.

If you are close to the edge, size up if you want them more opaque and size down if you want them more see-through.
On Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:23 AM
It's okay, I got the L/XL and they worked great. Wearing them for my 3rd performance this weekend :) Thanks.
By MMaxwell Comments: 8, member since Mon Jan 04, 2010
On Mon Sep 29, 2014 09:41 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for TALLer dancers, ones that have a few additional curves? nothing worse than ordering a pair of tights (let alone pantyhose) that will leave enough room in the gusset for the entire contents of ones purse :P

Thanks!
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch