Popular Ballet

Audition Pictures by PointeStudent
Soon it's going to be time to take audition pictures for SI. Is there any place to take good quality dance pictures around the Philly/NJ area? For not too expensive.

Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
Tights for Black Dancers??? en>fr fr>en
By Missamanda13 Comments: 469, member since Sun Feb 25, 2007
On Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:22 PM

My studio has a very culturally mixed clientele. For competitions and Recitals, what do you do with tights for the black dancers? Do you go with "everyone wears the same thing" so Do they wear the same shade as everyone else? Or do they get their own shade. I am very curious as to what other schools do. I have no clue!

7 Replies to Tights for Black Dancers???

re: Tights for Black Dancers??? en>fr fr>en
By bdancer17 Comments: 6, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:04 PM
I have gone through this issue before. A girl that I used to teach got tights on her own, instead of wearing the light tan colored tights. It looked alot better on stage and did not effect the group. Capezio makes a color called cocoa and its a darker brown which is great. I believe she bought regular tan jazz shoes and dyed them to match the color of the tights. it looked really good. Hope this helps
By Dancer904Premium member Comments: 3630, member since Sat Aug 16, 2003
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 06:18 AM
My studio is of mixed cultures I have students of all races. All students wear the same tights - the babies wear white tights under their costumes the older girls wear ballet pink tights under ballet costumes and dk tan under all the others. The tan color doesnt exactly match anyones skin really I dont think, except maybe a few of the hispanic girls. It is just a uniform look.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4672, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 02:18 PM
The black students at my studio either wear the same tan as the white students, or they buy their own from somewhere else that's darker to better match their skin tone. None of the girls at the studio where I teach really care. They're fine wearing the tan tights everyone else wears. We also have a few Hispanic students and I'm pretty sure they wear the standard tan tights as well. I wouldn't really worry about your black students wearing different tights unless the parents bring it up.
By eloisefigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1015, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 02:21 PM
Everyone wears pink for ballet here no matter what skin tone you are. Never had an issue with it. Plus most white girls have different skin tones too.
Other things like Jazz, and tap, if the costume calls for it, tan tights.
By bisousbisou Comments: 3719, member since Thu Sep 23, 2004
On Sun Mar 30, 2008 07:31 AM
I really do prefer the tights matching the dancer's own skin tone, much the way DTH does:
www.dancetheatreofharlem.org . . .!%202007.html
Capezio makes tights in different skin tone shades. Shoes need to be dyed to match.

The Rockettes have the African American girls wear light tan tights like the white girls do because its all about the legs and the lines and the precision and they want all the LEGS identical.....but take the dancer of color out of the line and stand her by herself and it does look strange.
By beachlover2Premium member Comments: 764, member since Thu Feb 06, 2003
On Sun Mar 30, 2008 03:13 PM
I use Libert's suntan lycra tights for all colors of skin. Everyone looks the same on stage.
By jdanca8 Comments: 69, member since Sat Apr 12, 2008
On Sat Apr 12, 2008 09:42 PM
Pink tights for ballet for everyone is a must, but for jazz and tap we do the skin tone color of tights. Many girls have now become additcted to tanning so I suggest that they get the flesh colored tights that match their skin tone. I coached a college dance team and required that for competition they have flesh colored tights as their uniform was a skirt and had a darker skin tonned student on the team. She simply purchased the darker flesh toned tights

ReplySendWatch