Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Please consider getting your next pet from the humane society!
By xxChloeDancerxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 248, member since Tue Jan 06, 2009
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 03:51 PM
I rescued a dog from the pound and we love him to bits.He seems to no we rescued him as he is loving and my kids think he is a baby and spoil him.My daughter works with dogs in the pound by walking them everyweek so they get homed because they are use to people.Shes only 14 and loves animals.
By KinerEnterprises Comments: 40, member since Mon Feb 05, 2007
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 09:01 PM
I am also a dedicated volunteer for Animal Care and Control of NYC, and I totally agree with you! Adopting is the way to go! You're actually saving an animal's life! What could be better than that? I am personally obsessed with Pit Bulls and Rottweilers, and planning on adopting one later on this year from the animal shelter. I can't wait!
By graceful94 Comments: 46, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 AM
I think that is so true! I got my pet from our local human society and she has been awesome for the family!! Thanks for posting htis!
By dancersattyPremium member Comments: 27, member since Mon Feb 02, 2009
On Tue May 26, 2009 11:28 AM
Yes!!!! I agree with this 100% There are so many homeless animals out there and and so many in the shelter, why go to a breeder or even worse a store that buys from Puppy mills???? Going straight to the Human Society or your local shelter is doing a world of good better than getting a pet from anywhere else.
By T_Dance_Girl Comments: 218, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:01 PM
Cute animals. I got my cat from the humane society and she is very well trained and we got her as a kitten. She is sooo cute and smart.

Great post!
By Napolimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1622, member since Fri Mar 19, 2004
On Sun Sep 27, 2009 03:51 PM
I have gotten some of my previous pets from a humane society and I agree that it is often a great place to get an animal. However, the one in my area has OUTRAGEOUS adoption prices. It costs $130 for a fixed adult cat, and $75+the cost of a spay/neuter if the cat wasn't fixed before you chose them. In all honesty, I would rather get a free kitten from a farm and get her spayed myself than pay $175 for a cat, even if she is from the humane society.
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5215, member since Thu Feb 18, 2010
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:14 AM
My parents rescued all their animals before my brother and I were born. The pets we have now (2 cats and a dog), were rescued.

Chanel (eldest cat)- She was the only one alive, found in a box somewhere on the street. The vet gave her to my parents because their cat had died that day at the vet. She's now 20.

Honey (second eldest cat)- Her original owners were going to kill her, because they didn't like her. So my parents adopted her. She's now 19.

Jenni (youngest dog)- I got her for my 4th birthday, because her owners were going to put her down, because she was a mixed breed. She's 11 now.

I love them all dearly!
By LittleOdette Comments: 282, member since Sat Apr 04, 2009
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 01:03 AM
I live with five cats and three of them were adopted from rescue centres, the other two I ended up with when a friend moved away and had to give up her then kittens. The three cats my parents had when I was born were also adopted or randomly acquired (one just decided she wanted to live with us and BAM we had a cat :D).

Anyway, I think all of these 'success stories' are just testament to how awesome it is and all the pictures made me go 'squeeeee' just a little bit :D Great post, karma for you :)
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1737, member since Mon Jan 26, 2004
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 01:59 AM
Someone posted earlier about a certain breed (chihuahua, I think?) in shelters having all sorts of behavior problems, and I just want o kind of elaborate on this.

There are going to be animals in shelters and rescues with behavioral issues. These issues are almost always a result of the previous owner, and not the dog itself. And many of the issues can be easily fixed with the right effort and training. But more importantly, know that if a dog has issues, the volunteers are going to make sure you know this. They work so hard to put pets in the right home. The last thing they want is for the dog to end up back at the shelter!

The other thing I want to point out is that in my experience, shelter and rescue dogs are better behaved than pet store dogs. They just have this huge sense of appreciation for everything you do for them!

Also, if you're ever looking for a specific breed, look into rescues. Sites like petfinder are great for that, and many rescue groups will even work out transportation to get the dog to you if it's really far away!
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw