Forum: Advice / Secrets PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Secrets PG-13
A Quick Intro (READ FIRST!)
By webdeadmasterPremium member Comments: 2400, member since Thu Aug 05, 1999
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:25 AM

The Secrets forum has an anonymous feature - what does that mean? First, all topics are begun anonymously (unless you're a mod, in which case you can choose otherwise). Replies may or may not be anonymous. As this is a very new feature (inspired by, but having some differences from the recent April Fools hijinks), you may want to be careful for the first couple weeks if your anonymity is important to you. Also note that if you abuse the system, your anonymous privileges may be removed.

35 Replies to A Quick Intro (READ FIRST!)

re: A Quick Intro (READ FIRST!)
By BooPopsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Thu Aug 16, 2007
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:43 PM
SUCH a good idea for a board. Sometimes I feel I can't write what I'd really like advice on because I know other people here, and I don't want them seeing. Thank you so much, this is wonderful!
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2100, member since Tue Aug 30, 2005
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:15 PM
Yay! this is really exciting. I'm glad you were able to make this idea into a reality!
By KayEllePremium member Comments: 4505, member since Sat Jul 16, 2005
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:35 PM
Wow! That's so exciting! I'm so glad to see this came through.

I think it might be a good idea to clarify some rules, though... can the mods see who's posted what? Or there's some way to track down who posted a topic/replied to it? I take it this is true from the "your anonymous privileges may be revoked."

Maybe it would be a good idea to specify, then, that this is not the place to announce that you are about to commit homicide or something equally worrying and/or illegal. I'm just wondering about the legal implications and stuff. I really don't know, is the internet kind of like, a free for all? Whatever you say it doesn't matter? Or would DDN be held liable if someone anonymously posted "I'm about to murder my neighbour" and then did it? I guess not, under the TOS, hey?

Anyway, it's a good idea to remember that DDN is a tight-knit community and as such, we worry about our fellow members. If you're going to post something terrible and make us all anxious over you it's always a nice thought to maybe come back later and give an update, you know? Purely as an etiquette/niceness thing.
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 06:46 PM
KayElle wrote:

I think it might be a good idea to clarify some rules, though... can the mods see who's posted what? Or there's some way to track down who posted a topic/replied to it? I take it this is true from the "your anonymous privileges may be revoked."
The mods cannot see who posted what. Unlike on April 1, they cannot unmask someone on this board. If someone is abusing or trolling this board, the mods will be able to revoke the anonymous privilege for the account that posted a message, but they won't know what account they've sanctioned. The anonymous revocation does not affect an account in any visible way. When someone views the profile of someone who is anonymously banned, they don't see anything different. Only the user will know that their anonymous privilege was revoked.
Maybe it would be a good idea to specify, then, that this is not the place to announce that you are about to commit homicide or something equally worrying and/or illegal. I'm just wondering about the legal implications and stuff. I really don't know, is the internet kind of like, a free for all? Whatever you say it doesn't matter? Or would DDN be held liable if someone anonymously posted "I'm about to murder my neighbour" and then did it? I guess not, under the TOS, hey?
Yes, announcing the intention to commit illegal acts is not what this board is for and will result in the privilege being revoked. Users are responsible for what they write since we do not review messages before they're published and we have no way of determining truthfulness or even truthiness. The anonymous boards only protect your identity when posting, but the terms of service still governs your activity here.
By PlumeriaPremium member Comments: 3483, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 09:19 PM
Thank you so much! :) This board is going to be a great help to many people!
By dreamin_dancer1 Comments: 373, member since Thu Mar 24, 2005
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 03:23 AM
Oh this is exciting.
Great Idea :)

Quick question. When we post a reply to a secret, is there any way of knowing if our reply will be anonymous, or is that still being sorted out?
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 06:59 AM
^ When you go to post your response, there's a little checkbox under the field that lets you choose if you want to post anonymously. If you don't check it, you're not anonymous. I can already see some people that mean to post anonymously put didn't check it.

Oh, and a hint to many of you...if you normally sign your name at the bottom of your posts or have a preset signature, don't post it here! I've counted several people that anonymously posted but woops, no we all know who you are and you're defeating your own purpose.
By Lorraine_ Comments: 220, member since Sat Mar 05, 2005
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:11 AM
Wow what a good idea :) I like it!
By kaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1474, member since Sat Aug 11, 2007
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:23 AM
I think its a great idea! Love it :) I'll be using it often. Lol.
By XxlildancerelxXmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3070, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 AM
Great idea!!
Sure this will allow people to collect useful advice off lots of different people!!
xxxxxx
By holly_irishdance Comments: 1152, member since Wed Jul 26, 2006
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 AM
such a great idea
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
this will be very useful :)

Holly
x
By agirlinatutumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1832, member since Mon Sep 18, 2006
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:57 PM
First, this is a great idea-- yesterday I was sad to notice that the secrets post wasn't in the Advice section :P

Second, to anyone who posts anonymously, you can't edit your posts. (When you post anonymously you are effectively posting as a user called 'Anonymous' so in trying to edit the post, it looks to the system that you are trying to edit someone else's post) So when you are posting, think everything that you want to say out completely (or add on in a new post).
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1876, member since Wed Dec 12, 2007
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:25 PM
Are a person's Anonymous posts counted toward their actual post counts like on April Fool's?
By dancer_emjmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1151, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:30 PM
I love the idea of this! yay!
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 03:05 PM
You know... call me a party pooper, but I'm already kind of annoyed with it. It seems to me, already, that people are just subsituting this board for the regular advice boards with things that don't NEED to be secret. Like, sure, I can imagine if you're posting something embarrassing, you might want to be anonymous (I have wanted to do this in the past), but for normal "I love a boy and I don't know what to do!!" posts... they don't really seem like secrets enough to warrant posting anonymously.
By KiwiMoomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 670, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 03:43 PM
Completely agree with you Angelina. I expected more substantial stuff on the Secrets board.
By Nicolemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1262, member since Sat Sep 03, 2005
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 03:47 PM
I also agree with Angelina, although there are secrets being posted that would be considered secrets and it is nice for those people to receive anonymous nonjudgmental advice.
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 27664, member since Fri Aug 03, 2001
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 04:38 PM
Hi ,
Although I think this is a good idea, Im quite concerned about some of the content.Don't forget there are young girls and boys who like to see whats going on , on DDN. Is there any way of sectioning into adult /teenager/child ? I had always felt happy to leave my daughter to browse through DDN unsupervised but not now.
By elliebelliemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1990, member since Mon Nov 22, 2004
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 06:04 PM
So does this mean that all replies in the thread will also be "Anonymous" or just the OP's replies will be Anonymous?

Curiousity killed the cat lol.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:21 PM
Edited by Shadowsong (106208) on 2008-04-08 19:22:51 Delayed mind rattle.. sorry, need to have impeller greased...
When you create your thread... as I tested, your "nome de plume" is Anonymous.

And, when you reply, you have the opt, by checking a box, as to whether you will be called "Anonymous" or not.

And, Agirlinatutu has it quite right. You cannot edit your posts. They have to be 100% as they go in... maybe create the post in a wordpad.. edit there, and cut and paste into the thread?

Hmmmm

Or, I wonder if you have the opt of editing, for anonymity.. just wondering...

Also, do others think it would be a good idea to state in their title.. if the post is more mature.. I was thinking that the title, and that this is "pg-13" would suffice. but... ????

S.
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 08:59 PM
^ The board is called secrets pg-13.

But. I do feel this board is going in a horrible directions.
Its like people are using this board for advice on guys and other things that do not need to be secret. They really don't. I have never been so excited for a board to come to d.net, and now have never been so disappointed. I don't know if theres a way to perhaps screen these secrets or something?

I assumed that this board would be like post secret, and also be like the anonymous thread posted alot earlier. something you wouldn't normally be able to talk about. Fact is, we can normally talk about guy questions in the advice boards. This is for SECRETS.

I'm frustrated.. I'm sorry.

-bdt-
By dancingqueen28 Comments: 180, member since Thu Jun 22, 2006
On Wed Apr 09, 2008 05:44 AM
So by putting a post on here would it automatically ome up anonymously and what about when people view your profile and look at list recent messages can they view that you've posted something on here or not. Please pm sme please somebody if you know the question to this answer.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Wed Apr 09, 2008 01:29 PM
although there are secrets being posted that would be considered secrets and it is nice for those people to receive anonymous nonjudgmental advice

Oh, absolutely. There are definitely things on here that I can see why people wanted to post anonymously, but the majority... not.

Is it ok to mod posts if we think they don't need to be on the secrets board? I modded one yesterday in my frustration (something about becoming a mod? I don't remember - it wasn't a secret anyway).
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:52 PM
I don't like the way the original poster is automatically anonymous as some people are using that to their advantage and pretending to be the original poster when they're not.

I like this new secrets section though.

Just one thing - can the anonymous display picture be a little less scary looking! For some reason it reminds me of the little puppet man in Saw! Haha.

Great new board!
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch