Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Very basics of color guard.
By dancer_meggs
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:23 PM

OK like I've said before, tryouts are comming up soon and I was wondering if anybody could expand on some very basiscs of color guard, for both tryout and I guess everyday purposes...

I know what a drop spin is and how to do them and i think I know what extensions are and how to do them (take the pole by the stopper hold it in the air as high as you can bring it down in front then up then down in back then repeat?)but aside from that I really don't know much else and I don't know what they'll expect at tryouts because apparently it changes every year. So yeah... add what you can please! :D

5 Replies to Very basics of color guard.

re: Very basics of color guard.
By ghilliegirl1592member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:41 PM
have you learned drop spins going each way (to the left and right)
how about double time spins
or different kinds of tosses from the pole and silk
there are other basics such as carving or figure eights (may have other names), butterflies/flurishes/sweeps and scoops (once again may have other names)
do you know different positions and angles (right and left shoulder/attention, present arms, and many shoulder hip angles)
By dancer_meggs
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 05:56 PM
Edited by dancer_meggs (163313) on 2008-04-07 17:56:50
I know how to double time and i know the positions they will most likely teach us. I probably need to learn butterflies dna figure 8's. I know for a fact that we won't learn parallel tosses for tryouts since most girls on the team don't learn them until the middle o the year or the next year. I don't know how to toss from the silk either. Thank you for giving me more ideas!
By TwirlSuperstar
On Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:53 PM
do you do corp style marching or the new style marching? Is their a big difference?
By dancer_meggs
On Tue Apr 08, 2008 06:32 PM
Edited by dancer_meggs (163313) on 2008-04-08 19:29:24
I actually don't know what that is...if you mean the marching part of it we do heel rool to toe if that helps. I'll look up the difference right now and edit my post and then tell you which one my band is.

We're the new style.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 09, 2008 08:32 AM
For the record, corps. style marching is always a very exaggerated heel-to-toe no matter what size step you're taking. The modern technique is a more relaxed heel-to-toe for normal step sizes, and it transitions into a jazz run (which is toe-to-heel) for larger steps. Most major guards have used the modern technique since about the mid 1980s.

ReplySendWatch