Forum: Highland / Highland

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: How to run DDN contests going forward
By RoadtotheIsles Comments: 475, member since Fri Aug 10, 2007
On Thu Apr 24, 2008 07:50 PM
I should clarify - "experience" from the perspective I was taking did not really apply to the "age" of a MOD. In fact I find that quite funny!
I meant the MODS are experienced with DDN and the activity that goes with that involvement which as already discussed has included the fall-out/aftermath of innocent looking contests.

A quick check on the MODS will reveal membership involvement anywhere from 4 up to 8/9 years.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Apr 24, 2008 07:53 PM
I think it's sad that someone felt it necessary to mod report the thread. I think mod reporting should be reserved for threads that are being used to say negative things about dancers, teachers and/or judges.

Some people know we have removed them in other forums and in the past we have not allowed these kinds of contests (which is exactly what Linh has already said.) People mod report things that are against the rules and we appreciate that.

DDN is not really a public forum. It is a " moderated" public forum. Big difference in that the mods choose what is allowed, or Linh.
The TOS are exactly the same as Linh's other website, but handled much differently. Why? Mods are not necessarily that experienced either,as was an explanation regarding this thread. Many are very young, in fact.

Linh is the one that basically gives us the rules he wants strictly enforced, and expresses how he wants the site to run. We have many discussions on numerous topics and as previously stated he has a copy of all mod reports and all moderator actions sent to him as well as the head mod Calypso. How do you know what we handle when you don't know any of us, you don't post in any other forum, and don't have any information about the policies and procedures that the mods are given from Linh?!?

How do you know what we are experienced in or not? Over half of the mods have previous moderating experience on other forums and one person ran and owned a site similar to this for many years. Many are very young? Who is "very" young?? Every moderator on staff has been hand picked by Linh. I am sorry you have a problem with the staff but I honestly don't think you have any idea about what we do or how experienced we are in anything.
By ifinance Comments: 2275, member since Mon Jun 26, 2006
On Fri Apr 25, 2008 01:13 AM
Edited by ifinance (161860) on 2008-04-25 01:26:20
Well, I was hoping to avoid this. I absolutely detest quoting people when I disagree with them. Sometimes it can feel like an attack and that isn't the intention at all. Other times it can be perceived as argumentative especially when multiple quotes are strung together with interspersed (sp?) quips and comments.

Linh said when he created this thread that he was willing to consider allowing Highland contests but he would like to ask the forum participants' opinions about how a contest should be run. There have been many opinions offered, but the following one I disagreed with (sorry).

hylndlas wrote:

In other words instead of nominating JUST the more outspoken members If we continue with this I'D like to see some less known members in the batch too.

I think by doing this it would seem like less of a popularity contest to members who may feel it is.

Of course that would make it harder for y'all but I think the effort to include everyone ( well known or not) would be appreciated in the end.

The Colleen analogy immediately sprung to my mind. Perhaps I should have used a different analogy. Try this one.... We are not Primary dancers. We do not need a participation award (although sometimes they are pretty cool ;) ) We don't need to read through the last year's threads to find an award worthy comment from someone who posts infrequently. Memorable posts from infrequent (not outspoken) participants were previously nominated. I'm sure this would naturally occur again if there were another contest.

For the purpose of discussion, I was trying to say that I don't think we should pander to those who were whining that it was nothing more than a popularity contest. I disagree with the suggestion that we try to include everyone. That sounds too much like political correctness to me. Just like in dance competitions (such as Cowal), if you hold a contest, not everyone is going to "win." Some people might even dominate the contest (such as Colleen). Are you starting to understand my Colleen analogy now?

As I've said before. I don't really care whether we have contests or not. I didn't really have time at first to participate in the one that the girls created. After a while, I felt bad that I hadn't contributed, so I took some time and made my nominations. For every one I nominated, I gave a reason why. I enjoyed doing this because it gave me the opportunity to publicly compliment these people for the contributions they've made to our online community. In this case it was truly more blessed to give than receive. Yes, it is nice to be publicly recognized, but for me it is much more rewarding to be able to pay someone else a compliment. It's almost as much fun as giving a gift and I LOVE giving gifts :D
On Fri Apr 25, 2008 06:45 AM
I can see both sides of this because we tried to do something like this in the general forum a few years ago and it was a huge mess. Obviously a majority of the people nominated will be people that are well known because they are the people that are active in the community here on ddn. That is kind of inevitable. While trying to include everyone is a great idea not everyone is going to win so doing that is very difficult in my opinion.

As a member of ddn (not a moderator) I personally would love to see some kind of contests like this and in a perfect world they would work out fine and I'd support it. Since ddn is far from perfect and we do not live in a perfect world I think contest like these just turn many people off especially new members. I belonged to a forum that did this kind of thing a couple times a year and it was just annoying and that was part of the reason why I faded away in that community and just stopped posting there. I think there are a lot of other ways to reward members for their contributions but that is just me.

I also know that as a moderator we are going to have to be willing to let other forums do this if we let the highland community do that and I know what a mess it will be in other places so my feelings are rather mixed still but if Linh can figure out a way for this to work out or he can evaluate the categories I am willing to have this forum as well as others try it.
On Fri Apr 25, 2008 04:04 PM
Hi Ifinance - thanks for taking the time to explain your ..as you word it.."Colleen Analogy"

My point is - DDN is not a competition

If DDN allowed a contest to go ahead on the highland board then DDN members who wish to participate in the contest would;
1)enter their own DDN name
2)enter their own post/s in various pre-determined categories

Their entry along with all other entries would be judged by a panel of qualified pre-selected DDN members/aka THE PANEL

The PANEL could not include family or friends of the DDN members participating in the contests or organizers behind the scene of the DDN contest.

All entered posts would then be rated by THE PANEL with the ultimate prize of Winner 2nd 3rd + Honorable Mention awards

The above is only meant as a fun suggestion :]
By Ruthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2564, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 03:45 AM
Please can we stick to the orginal point of this post?

Many people (I myself included) have strayed from the point so let's just stick to answering the original questions

Ruth :)
re: How to run DDN contests going forward (karma: 1)
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:11 AM
All of this is quite relevant to the original post and will determine if and how Linh and the moderators not only set up a contest in this forum but in any forum. This thread was set up by Linh to hear various members feelings and to have a discussion evolve so he can make the best decision. Nothing that has been posted has been off topic per Linh!
By Ruthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2564, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:19 AM
Edited by Ruth (176462) on 2008-04-26 10:23:15
If you re-read the thread some of it isn't relevant to DDN Contests...

The posts about the age of MOD's & how deleting threads are handled for example although they are very helpful and intersting to read and some of the replies (like yours imadanseur) must have taken forever to write!!

Well thats what I think anyway!

Ooops this post isn't relevant either oh well

Ruth :D
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 01:23 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-04-26 15:08:15 added explanation.
^My bad...know where you are coming from, but the moderators have been criticized for not responding earlier, so when something is directed to us in a thread it is part of the overall discussion especially when someone basically insults us because I hardly consider myself very young.
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 02:32 PM
Actually Ruth I do not see where this discussion has gone off topic at any point - all of it is connected in one way or another to the original topic.

This is a discussion - we are not really answering a question as you have worded it. Linh has presented the grounds for discussion on .."interested to hear your thoughts on how we can do these types of contests.."

Within this topic the issue of what one member referred to as the "unilateral deletion of posts" which then brought in the issue of "mature enough" - "old enough"

One member then took a hit (once again) at the mods - making reference to their "age" and questioned their ability

I mentioned the mods and their experience as I felt it was relevant to them understanding the nature of contests on DDN

Many of us practise patience when it comes to some rather wayward discussions on this board.

Not all things are black & white. Bear with it.
You may end up being happy with the result..!
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 02:43 PM
Edited by Ruth (176462) on 2008-04-26 15:37:25
Sorry... I was just trying to calm the discussion down as it was getting a bit heated and I think a couple of people mentioned they weren't going to be posting as much as a result of that which I thought was sad :(
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 05:01 PM
Thanks for everybody's input so far. I've heard both good pro and con arguments from both sides. As usual, some good and some bad will come from any new endeavor, and hopefully we'll all learn to accentuate the positive. I think it's worthwhile to at least give it a try and see where it goes. I would be remiss in my duties if I did not give new ideas a sporting chance. And even if we fail, we can always learn something from the trying. Who knows, maybe we can later codify the rules in software to make these things fun and fair. With that in mind, I'd like to either resurrect the old thread or let people start a new contest in the same vein. After the contest is over, we may want to take a vote or start a discussion on what works and what doesn't. (If someone has a link to the old thread handy, please post it.) Linh
On Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 AM
Yeeyyy thanks linh :D

www.dance.net . . .
On Mon Apr 28, 2008 01:56 AM
You certainly are priceless Ruth :)
By GonnaBeAStar Comments: 3928, member since Wed Feb 20, 2002
On Mon Apr 28, 2008 02:39 PM
Hi guys, I stayed out of this thread, I didn't want to get pulled into another arguement with certain people.

However, just thought I'd post and say THANKS Linh for giving us a chance with the awards!

Remember people, they are only meant as a bit of fun - if you don't agree with them, and they upset you so badly, please just ignore them. You don't have to reply!

Off to find Ruth and make up a new thread now! :)
On Tue May 06, 2008 01:12 PM
Question - Linh,Imadanseur,Hylndlas

Do you have an approx number for membership/participates on DDN who show predominate interest in the "Highland Board"

It would be interesting to see this number as a quick glance reveals numerous DDN names

Question asked here is relevant to the contest
By booverly Comments: 1980, member since Fri Jul 02, 2004
On Tue May 06, 2008 04:05 PM
If in the future Linh you decide to let contests continue, I would like to see an open discussion on the categories and rules. Things like this should be decided by the community of the board in which the awards take place.
On Wed May 21, 2008 02:28 PM
Edited by RoadtotheIsles (183913) on 2008-05-21 14:34:48
Helpful pointers & concerns in regards to the current contest have been raised by glitterfairy,seniorlady, Katja144, Catherine

It would be handy for discussion if they could be cross linked here as I think this is the more appropriate place for them.

In Catherine's guidelines & list of proposed rules she points out in rule #10 that members nominated should be given the chance to accept or decline their nomination into the contest.

In total 11 members put forth nominations with 2 entries from the organizers themselves. It appeared that the contest had actually faded from lack of interest.

I did not expect voting polls to be posted without first an option to be a participant or not.
Clearly I would decline for reasons stated earlier in this topic.
By booverly Comments: 1980, member since Fri Jul 02, 2004
On Wed May 21, 2008 04:44 PM
Here's Catherine's suggestions cut and pasted.

Rule 1:
Best Photo - When nominating a person's photo, you must link it into the nominating post and then into the vote pole. Tee did this last year (or so) with the leap photos to vote on. And yes, people can be nominated for more than one photo but they must have taken and posted the photos within a certain time frame.

Rule 2:
Best Post - When nominating a person's post , you must quote it in the nominating post and then in the vote pole. And yes, people can be nominated for more than one post but they must have made the post within a certain time frame.

Rule 3:
Best Avatar - When nominating a person's avatar, you must link it into the nominating post and then into the vote pole.

Rule 4:
Best new member - we must have a time frame on this, no more that 1 year old? 6 months old? Personally, I think that it should be within the last year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) before these dates, sorry! After these dates, in for next years award!

Rule 5:
Most Helpful Member - within a certain time frame again

Rule 6:
Funniest Member - within a certain time frame again

Rule 7:
Most Thoughtful Member - within a certain time frame again

Rule 8:
Member of the year - within a certain time frame again

Rule 9:
Most Active Member - how do you measure this one? I am on here everyday (for many hours) but I don't always post, I am very active (lurking) but does that make me the Most Active Member or is it the person who posts every time they are on (even if it is only 2 or 3 times a week? This one would have to be decided upon.

Rule 10:
Nominations - also, I have noticed that some people are asking to have their names withdrawn, so I propose, before the vote poll is put together, the nominated members should have the chance to accept or decline the nomination (just as if you are voting someone into a position on a board of directors...)

I like them. Much along the lines that I was thinking myself. I would include:

-voters must have been members for at least 3/4 of the year for which they are voting for.
-voters' accounts must be in good standing
On Wed May 21, 2008 05:18 PM
Do you have an approx number for membership/participates on DDN who show predominate interest in the "Highland Board"

Andrew our tech guy MIGHT be able to give us an approximate number, but actual names I don't think he could do, but if you PM'ed him he might be able to help you out with that. I am not the most techno creature on ddn.
By HIGHLAND_JnK Comments: 731, member since Sat Nov 03, 2007
On Thu May 22, 2008 06:11 AM
Just a quick vote of support for RoadtotheIsles proposition that all nominees be given the opportunity to accept or decline their nomination prior to the running of any further contest. I'd consider that only right and proper under the circumstances.

Comment #8984189 deleted

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch