Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Recitals & Performing
how to organize dance costumes en>fr fr>en
By dancingfool6323 Comments: 2, member since Sun Apr 13, 2008
On Sun Apr 13, 2008 06:18 PM

i am looking for a way to organize my costumes. i have nine of them, and have tried just about everything. im looking for something that can hold a lot, is organized, easy to transport, and doesnt cost a fortune. Any ideas??

5 Replies to how to organize dance costumes

re: how to organize dance costumes en>fr fr>en
By abcdancer626 Comments: 103, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:55 AM
I use a 1 or 2 gallon size plastic zip top bag for each costume. They are big enough to hold everthing including tights and headpieces. Then I just stack the bags in my dance bag.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7286, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Apr 16, 2008 01:40 PM
LAUNDRY BASKET!!!!!

I was the quick-change queen in my day. I usually had 2 plastic laundry baskets. I'd set up my costumes in reverse order, so taht the last costume needed was on the bottom, and the first costume needed was on the top. I'd separate each costume with a thin (clean) towel. When I was done with a costume, I'd ditch it in Laundry Basket number 2, and put the next one on. At the end of the night, All the costumes would be in Basket 2. I'd take them home, organize them again, and be ready. That way you can be sure that ALL of your things are in one container, and you can organize them later. Plus, when traveling, most laundry baskets that are the same size will fit into each other, so it'll take the space of one laundry basket.

Best of luck
By dance4ballet Comments: 1180, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 PM
Bring your own costume rack to the change rooms.

Hang every costume in an individual costume bag.

Place each pair of shoe required for each in the bottom of each, tied together by the laces. Place any accessories in a zip lock bag, and put this down the bottom of the costume bag too. Write your name on everything!

Write a costume list for each costume. Including the colour tights you need, the hair style, and hair pieces, what you can get away with wearing underneath (eg body stocking, bra, strapless bra, or nothing!)Pin this to the outside of the costume bag.
By danzadancer2285 Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 11, 2007
On Wed May 28, 2008 02:39 PM
Put each one of your costumes on their own hanger, with the matching tights and accessories. Then put your costumes in the order that you are going to need them (put your first costume in front and your last costume in back).

Do you have a garment bag? These can be life savers! But if you don't have one, a garbage bag with the bottom closed up works to. Just make a tiny hole at the top where the hangers can slip through, and close up the bottom so nothing falls out. Then stick all of your costumes in there.

Hang your garment bag or trash bag on a hanger that is easily accessible.

Place all of your shoes near by (maybe on top of your bag, where they won't get kicked around). Just make sure all of your things are close together so you won't be panicking at the last minute.

I would suggest putting your costumes in a laundry basket after you dance. That way you don't have to worry about organizing or losing anything when you are all done!
By Jadamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1491, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:07 PM
I've used the giant Ziploc bags and they (at least for me) were fine when I had only 5 dances and no quick changes, but now I'm in 12 with every single one a quick change so its not going to work.

I use a traveling clothes rack and clothes baskets. If you have quick changes just lay out your costumes backstage and when your done throw them into the basket. That's how most of us at my studio do it. You can even divide your clothes basket in half with a piece of cardboard and have one side be for costumes coming up, and the other side be for ones your done with (that way it'll take up less room)

But it really all depends on how you prefer. If you find that one way doesn't work, try another until you find what you like the best. Good luck!

~Jada

ReplySendWatch