Forum: Folk / Flamenco

Flamenco
Difference between a Sevillana dress and Flameco dress?
By assembly_over Comments: 49, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Sun Apr 13, 2008 07:23 PM
Edited by assembly_over (183391) on 2008-04-13 19:24:20

What is the difference between a Sevillana dress and a Flamenco dress?
are there any differences? what is the main thing that makes each dress different/special? other than they're used for different dances.

thanks in advance.

3 Replies to Difference between a Sevillana dress and Flameco dress?

re: Difference between a Sevillana dress and Flameco dress?
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Mon Apr 14, 2008 05:23 AM
I think traditionally (I say traditionally because my studio is a little unorthodox when it comes to costumes... if it looks kind of spanish, it's in!) the sevillanas dresses are VERY frilly. We're talking massively frilled skirt, frequently frilly sleeves, and usually polka dots. Flamenco costumes on the other hands can be anywhere between festive and sombre, with different kinds of skirt ruffles (usually one or two around the hem of the skirt).

Some of the 'Spanish Dresses' are also not really designed to be danced in. They look awesome, though...
By assembly_over Comments: 49, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Mon Apr 14, 2008 08:33 PM
^^ thanks so much for replying.
It was a good answer, cleared up a lot for me.
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6584, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 07:54 PM
The sevillana dresses are the ones that women wear at the April Fair and other festivals and traditional pilgrimages. You can definitely dance in them (at these festivals, everyone dances sevillanas) but they're mainly for show rather than function.

In shows I saw in Seville, the flamenco dresses were more plain and looked easier to dance in than the dresses I saw at the April Fair. I have a Spanish dress that I wore at the April Fair, but I think it can also be used as a dance dress since it's not as big and frilly as some of the more traditional ones.

ReplySendWatch