Poll: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
What would be the worst wardrobe malfunction while performing?
By cutsie5666 Comments: 113, member since Tue Nov 21, 2006
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 04:32 PM

Answer two happened to me once, it was tres embarrassing. Feel free to reply with stories :P

27 Replies to What would be the worst wardrobe malfunction while performing?

re: What would be the worst wardrobe malfunction while performing?
By JDAdancergurl14 Comments: 56, member since Wed Apr 26, 2006
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 PM
I have to say all of them are kinda a scarey thought. I almost lost my jazz pants last year. I had forgot to pin them and they keep sliding down it was bad.

~Love,Peace,DANCE~
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:55 PM
I've stood on my skirt and nearly lost it and the pants underneath mid-routine. (And as they were both pinned to my undies: EEEK!)

I've also lost my top. Or rather, my top lost me. The only time when a body stocking under the bedlah was a bad idea (every other time it's been OK), and the routine involved a lot of raised arms. That whole performance was a nightmare... I want to burn the photos and footage. @#$%^& gravity.
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:01 PM
I've got a funny story about wardrobe malfunctions...

My dance company is part of a song and dance show every summer. We perform two nights every week from june to july. So one of my fellow dancers had a reoccuring wardrobe malfunction all throughout last summer's shows. She kept going on without or losing her pants. She'd have on a skirt but forget to put the bloomers on so it was just body tight under there. Another time we wore capris under a skirt (another costume) and she went without the pants so yet again just body tight. Another dance her pants came undone and she had to run off stage to tie them back up because everyone would have seen her body tight. Now imagine what you wear under your body tight... exactly. It was just very funny.
By ellab Comments: 170, member since Tue Apr 01, 2008
On Tue Apr 22, 2008 07:32 PM
Hip hop costumes at my studio usually involve a short shirt and baggy-ish pants. Granted we all wear tan leos under them, but a good 2-3 pairs of pants ride down a recital.

Um but the worst for me personally had to be my ballet dance when I was in eighth grade. Our costumes were these beautiful white dresses that had absolutely no back. I've always been pretty flat chested, so I thought I could get away with not wearing a bra.
Lets just say when those bright lights hit me you could see everything. And a bunch of boys from my school were sitting in the audience.
By DancingCop Comments: 62, member since Fri May 23, 2008
On Fri May 23, 2008 10:30 PM
I would say pant's falling off revealing a thong. I can't believe I'm saying this but this did happen to me. During a dress rehearsal for a tap recital. Still makes me blush just remembering it. Note for any dancer. If you loose weight just make sure your pants fit right before getting onstage, and they aren't too big.
~DC
By gottadance1303 Comments: 168, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:57 PM
well I said top falling off, mainly cause it happened to me, while i was front and center. i lifted my arm and my ballet costume slipped past my boob. If you look in the video you see it all....oh man i was laughing so hard after...until I found out it was the talk of the video...oh goodness :P
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:22 AM
Wow all of them are pretty horrifying (sp) to me but I woted for the last one.
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:20 AM
great post! :) funny!
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2541, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:23 AM
I would rather them see my butt then my chest.

chest is more reveling, and there's more there to see. :]
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1104, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 07:11 PM
I think it would be more embarrasing revealing granny panties!!
I mean come on, they are so dorky and won't it show through your costume. And everyone knowing you wear granny panties!
I've had option 2 happen though!! I was on my period though. And I wanted extra protection if i were to leak.
One of my Hip-Hop dances had really baggy pants and I didn't tie them tight enough, and in the beginning/middle of dance my pants fell down!! Well good thing you couldn't really see it though because I layer my tights for quick changes so I had tan tights on with pink tights underneith, so you didn't really know what you were looking at, it really looked like my bare bum!! And I had a hard time getting them back up, so they just were down for a majority of the dance. I didn't really care though, it happens to everyone!!
By DanceNinja Comments: 63, member since Fri Mar 19, 2010
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 01:52 PM
Oh wow...all of those terrify me..but i guess the last two would be the worst..it would be embarrassing enough to have the audience see your underwear but even worse for them to see..um, well, when you weren't wearing underwear..:\ Haha i voted for the last one.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 02:17 PM
I mean come on, they are so dorky and won't it show through your costume. And everyone knowing you wear granny panties!

I'm still at a loss for when regular panties became 'granny panties' and are something to be ashamed of. :?

Anyway, I think that revealing an unblocked view of (insert-euphemism-for-female-genitals-here) is the most embarrassing, followed by an uncovered bum, and then uncovered chest. Then, the same order for covered covered (euphemism) covered bum, covered chest.

I have had an 'almost' slip for an uncovered chest, but for the most part, I plan ahead well enough that slips don't happen.
By T_Dance_Girl Comments: 218, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 PM
None have really happened to me but they all seem bad. One class at my studio has a dress and granny panties under so if they flew up you'd see them, but they look normal on stage. Also my bra strap came undone when I was on stage, I don't have a big chest but still. My friend also went on stage one time and her bra straps were really tight so they wouldn't loosen, and both snappened during her dance. She was really upset, she doesn't have a big chest either though, so it could have been worse.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:12 PM
Thankfully, none of these have outright happened to me.

One year, I had on a solid black costume, that she told us that she wanted us to not wear any underwear with. I knew that the costumes were totally see through, so I pick out the tiniest thong I've got - which happened to be silver. Everyone SWEARS they saw it under the black light. *headdesk*
By DancerAndromedamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 657, member since Sat Oct 25, 2008
On Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:17 PM
I've had my straps fall down during the snow scene in Nutcracker, exposing my chest, but luckily it was in the middle of a bourree turn, so nobody saw anything :P
By Newway Comments: 101, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Sun Apr 11, 2010 04:25 PM
I would have to say having your hair fall apart during a proformce and not being able to see cause your hair has fallen in your face during a flip-jump secwnce; everything else is not so bad to me.
By LittleOdette Comments: 282, member since Sat Apr 04, 2009
On Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 AM
I have had many costume malfunctions, including wripping the crotch of a pair of trousers doing a leap that was way, way too big for them when I was ten. It's taken six years for me to be able to look back and 'laugh'.

Thankfully, my most recent and disastrous wardrobe disasters have been confined to dress rehearsals. Last year I was in the middle of the most kick-ass series of pirouettes during a jazz number and realised with a sinking heart that my strapless bra was suddenly round my waist, some stitching somewhere had just unraveled! Never buy cheap undies for dance. Never.

What I have found since the start of my school's ballet company two and a half years ago is that a lot of the teenage beginners tend to think they can ignore the 'SKIN COLOURED UNDERWEAR ONLY TO BE WORN UNDER COSTUMES' notices. About ten girls at the Nutcracker dress last year realised that yes, those snowflake corps dresses may well be double lined in the front but they are white and yes we can see the black/grey/pink gingham/neon green (I kid you not!) underneath. -headdesk-
By ElizabethPerson Comments: 56, member since Wed Nov 10, 2010
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 08:11 PM
Edited by ElizabethPerson (227640) on 2010-11-19 20:12:55 Spelling Errors
Fortunately I've never had any major wardrobe mishaps. The worst that's happened to me onstage is slipping straps and having to hike up pants that want to fall down. The worst wardrobe malfunction that I have witnessed happened to a girl at my studio. Her top was a little too big(she was such a thin girl) and was basically strapless except for two straps that started below the clavicle and tied behind the neck(they did nothing to keep the shirt on; they were basically for decoration). Anyway, the sides of the shirt slid down and the knot behind the neck was loose, so she had to grab it and pull it up before there was a problem.
By lovedanse Comments: 51, member since Thu Jun 09, 2011
On Sun Jul 10, 2011 07:13 PM
We danced at a local amusement park once. So it wasn't even like it was just people I knew. Its was the entire park watching. And I had a really fast change and my mom pinned the straps of costume to a feather instead of the fabric underneath the feathers... they popped off halfway through the dance and I had to hold it up with one hand.
By julicm Comments: 20, member since Fri Feb 12, 2010
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 08:09 AM
oh my word any of the above would be a nightmare, have just been reading someone else's funny stories on here of things that can go wrong on stage etc, oh how iv laughed . I think someone should definitely write a book on these funny tales x
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 08:26 AM
This wasn't at a performance, but during a softball game. It was in 6th grade, one of those dress up days at school. It was pioneer day. I had on a long pioneer woman dress and the PE coach decides we are playing softball. Great. I sucked at softball and so expected to strike out but no, of all days, I actually made contact with the ball and was forced to run in my long dress. Unbelievably, it was going to be a homer! I had to run all the bases and coming into home, I fell and tore my dress from hem to boobs. To add insult to injury, the fall gave them time to get the ball and I was out. I limped back inside with a torn dress and bloody knee. The nurse washed up my knee and stapled my dress closed and I had to go around the rest of the day in my torn and stapled dress.

kk~
By ballet_girl510member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 28, member since Sat Aug 27, 2011
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:11 AM
All sound bad but I've had my top fall of I was so happy I was wearing a nude leotard underneath or I just might have died from embarrassment!
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 PM
My story isn't too bad. A few years ago I was at a feis, and part of my costume was a pair of obnoxious electric yellow lollies. They were far too big, and half way through my slip jig they started coming down. Right as I was doing a big kick. Right in front of a teenage boy in the front row. I was mortified, but it is no where near as bad as some of your stories!
By goldengirl12699 Comments: 6, member since Wed Dec 28, 2011
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:19 PM
I was wearing a really long dress, and the girl next to stepped over and stepped on my dress, while I was jumping and it made the loudest ripping noise, i swear!
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch