Priority For Sale

Forum: General / Homework Help

Homework Help
easy to explicate poems en>fr fr>en
By abcdancer626 Comments: 103, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 05:36 PM

I have to do a peotry book with 10 poems. Sound easy right... WRONG!! I am finding it nearly impossible to find poems. It wouldn't be so bad, but poems cannot be duplicated within our class, of 30!!! And they have to have at least 6 "literary elements" which include:

allusion
simile
metaphor
personification
imagery
symbol
tone
theme
speaker
stanza
refrain

Tone, theme, speaker, and stanzas are always present, so our poems only have to have 2 other elements. I didn't know there were so many poems that lack this stuff!! Does anybody know of any good, easy to explicate poems? Thanks in advance

6 Replies to easy to explicate poems

re: easy to explicate poems en>fr fr>en
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2069, member since Tue Aug 30, 2005
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 05:37 PM
What year are you?
In high school I really enjoyed Langston Hughes and Margaret Atwood.
By abcdancer626 Comments: 103, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 05:49 PM
I'm a sophmore :)
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1904, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Mon Apr 21, 2008 01:16 PM
Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost are classics, but their poems might already be used by your classmates.

I really like "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot. Sylvia Plath might be one to check out too. "Ellen West" by Frank Bidart is an interesting one that deals with eating disorders, though not in a stereotypical way. Edwin Arlington Robinson has some neat poems that are like character sketches. Two that come to mind by him are "Miniver Cheevy" and "Richard Cory;" those might be fairly easy and have a lot of the elements on your list.

If you like older stuff, Shakespeare's sonnets might be the way to go. Or John Donne. This isn't exactly my cup of tea, so I can't recommend many from this genre.

I like Lewis Carroll's poetry a lot. You might be able to find Phantasmagoria on-line, which is hilarious and would be a lot of fun for an assignment.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Wed Apr 23, 2008 08:49 PM
What is explicating poems? I've never had to do that before.
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1904, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Thu Apr 24, 2008 04:39 PM
Edited by Mendel (123270) on 2008-04-24 17:40:56
Explicating is giving a full explanation/ literary analysis of a text. You basically pick it apart word for word and analyze it. This type of essay contrasts with a thesis-style paper, where you have a thesis statement and you find evidence in the text(s) that support it, or other evidence that refutes your thesis which you argue against. I believe that the "explication" is originally a French invention, called "explication de texte." I'm not 100% sure of its origins, though, so I might be wrong.

I just found a nice description of the "explication de texte" type of essay here, if you're interested:

globegate.utm.edu . . .
By Merfi Comments: 3091, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Thu Apr 24, 2008 04:47 PM
I'm doing Seamus Heaney poetry at school at the moment, and a lot of it has lots of 'literary elements'.

ReplySendWatch