Forum: Folk / Flamenco

Flamenco
Beginning Flamenco
By danceract Comments: 26, member since Sun Nov 18, 2007
On Tue Apr 22, 2008 06:29 PM

I'm someone who has been dancing since a very young age, but am still interested in learning completely new things. I just went through a year learning different ballroom dances and partly inspired by the Iron and Wine video of "Boy With a Coin", I think I want to learn Flamenco next. So how do I begin?

2 Replies to Beginning Flamenco

re: Beginning Flamenco
By oriflamenca Comments: 176, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Wed May 28, 2008 01:42 PM
Wow I had never seen that video until just now- I love it! If you are inspired to learn Flamenco go for it! The first step is to look for classes and teachers in your area. If you live in a big city you will probably find one or more studios/company's that are devoted entirely to the spanish music and dancing arts. If you are not so lucky hopefully you can find a teacher, or a class held at any old dance studio. The internet is a great place to start. if don't find what your looking for there then dig a bit deeper locally. Check the phonebook, check bulletin boards, check colleges and university's and also ask dancers and teacher's, because you never know, your ballroom or ballet teacher may know the only Flamenco teacher in town :) You can jump straight into a beginning class or private lessons. If you want to check it out first or you have a choice of teachers it shouldn't be a problem if you want to observe a class before you start. Generally you will need to have a full skirt and flamenco shoes with nails and a 1-2 inch heel. It's a bit of an investment for a good pair of shoes (basic $100 professional $200 USD) so to start you can just wear a long skirt you can move in and and any shoe with a solid low heel, or even character shoes. Always check with your teacher as some may require yoga pants or a certain heel height for beginners. Flamenco-world.com is also a great resource for information and Flamenco supplies. Good luck and have fun trying spanish dance, I am sure you'll do great!
re: Beginning Flamenco
By MrsCastellanos Comments: 1, member since Tue Jul 01, 2008
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 02:04 AM
Spanish dance varies from regions. The folk dances of areas like Valencia or Galicia are entirely different from southern regions of Spain.
You should find a teacher who will start you off with the basics. Who will teach you the basic patterns, rhythms of the dance. You will probably start off with a gipsy rumba, or gispy tango, maybe a escobilla. My personal favorites are guajira and bulerias. There is MUCH to learn! Seriously start educating yourself by learning about all the different terms. If you don't speak spanish it might be a little challenging so start your research on the different styles.
Learn the words, palma, tacon, planta, you'll find a whole new language here!
Oh and some people start off with sevillanas too. Those really aren't flamenco, it's a Andulsian folk dance which is done at many functions (like Feria in Spain) but just so you can know the difference!
BTW where are you located at? I might know someone in your area.

ReplySendWatch