Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

pas de deux first time please answer.
By lollypopgrl94
On Fri Apr 25, 2008 07:19 PM

do you need to be on pointe to take pas de deux classes

and..
does anyone know of a studio in south florida FT lauderdale area that offers those classes??

2 Replies to pas de deux first time please answer.

re: pas de deux first time please answer.
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 AM
Edited by Balletdog (120852) on 2008-04-26 10:39:48
Here's my answer to your first queston: Normally, pas de deux is done on pointe, and most pas teachers require pointe capability. One school I know of requires a year of pointe experience. If doing pas on pointe, the lady also needs to be strong enough to not roll off pointe if she's inadvertantly taken way off balance by her partner (be strong enough that you won't collapse/sprain your ankle). Check with the pas teacher to see what the pas class entrance requirements are.

Pas de deux doesn't have to be done on pointe. I teach a pas class, and I don't require that every female be on pointe for every class. Sometimes their feet get too sore, or are recovering from some foot injury preventing pointe work at the moment, and then I allow them to do that pas class in flat. Much of basic pas de deux can be done on flat, such as 1-2 turn supported pirouettes, most promenades, all lifts, supported poses, fish dive...many-turns supported pirouttes and some promenades can only be done on pointe, and (just like with ballet itself), pas de deux will be prettier when done on pointe.

Chances are that whatever pas class you go to will require some degree of pointe capability.

I don't live in Florida, so don't know the answer to your second question.

I hope this helped.

Rick
re: pas de deux first time please answer.
By mooshrimp
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:05 PM
Yes I agree with the above poster. Pas de deux classes at every school I've been to have been a privilege for only advanced students. It's not going to be like, oh I'll learn pointe and get in to one. By the time most students are at a level to learn real partnering doing pointe every time they work in the center is the norm. Like the poster above said, many moves can only be done en pointe.

ReplySendWatch