Forum: Arts / Acting

Actors dont be rude to Techies.
By Spiorad
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:08 AM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2008-04-27 11:11:30 typo'ssssss

Ok so the title really says it all. I never really thought would post something like this but after what happened yesterday I figured I might as well.

Actors don’t be rude to Techies.

Now at the same time I’m going to say:

Techies don’t be rude to Actors.

The thing is Actors you are NOT better then Techies and Techies are NOT better then actors. The show could not be done without both sides working together.

That being said I am going to go on a rant about a one of the stupid “actors” (he tries but well…) who thinks he’s SOOOOOOO amazing. So if you want stop reading.

On opening night of our last production 2 days ago as we were setting up and making sure everything was in place my drama teacher pointed out some desks that needed to be moved. These desks are very big and very heavy and cannot be moved by one person. So this boy…. Lets call him John, was sitting on top of one of them and seeing him there and how all other techies were busy I asked him “Will you help me move the desks?”

Now me and John have been on friendly terms I would call us more like acquaintances but we have always been nice to each other. Anyway. His response to my question?

To look at me in a way that says “are you stupid?” then proceeds to say in a voice as if talking to a very dumb person:

“Lets see… actor (points to himself)… Techie (points to me, looks me up and down)… Um.. NO”

Then when I tell him it has nothing to do with who is a techie or who isn’t its about getting things moved because all other techies are busy checking mics etc. he says “Once again, actor (points to self), techie(points to me). Who has a solo and is dancing in the show (points to self).” I didn't feel the need to tell him that unlike him, an egotistical (*)^%^&*(!@#$!!!! I didn't need to be in the production to feel important. I couldn't make it to all the rehearsals because of dance but still wanted to help so I teched which I love just as much as being in the production because I feel they are equal in importance.

My choir teacher ended up helping me move the desks.

I wanted to punch John in the face. Or better yet smack him back to reality by reminding him that the ONLY reason he got that solo and background dance part was because the other boy(lets call him Luke), had to literally get so sick that he is finishing the school year at home and EVERY OTHER BOY ALREADY HAD A SOLO.

So Actors. Remember. YOU ARE NOT BETTER THEN TECHIES! JUST AS THEY ARE NOT BETTER THEN YOU! YOU ARE PARTNERS WORKING TOGETHER!

10 Replies to Actors dont be rude to Techies.

re: Actors dont be rude to Techies.
By back2dance
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 01:55 PM
See, I'm not sure about techies not being better than actors, because techies/props managers/and wardrobe managers could REALLY pull off some amazing sabotage on the actors. Actors rarely could do it without looking bad. ;)

(I've done it before.)

And I say that as someone who was an actress AND a techie. Actors have got their heads stuck up their tuz sometimes! I know about the "drunk in power" techies, but I've had way more problems with actors across the aisle.

I would have said "Who has more chance of working in twenty years...ME, and who is most likely going to live in a box on 42nd street....you. Get up!" Hehe. :)
By m_rc
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 03:39 PM
Rule #1 for performers:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER-be rude to the stagestaff. They can DESTROY your rep or make you a LAUGHING STOCK with literally NO effort.

Manners shouldn't even matter-it's a simple matter of DON'T bite the hand that feeds you.
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 05:19 PM
Edited by irishdaydreamer (182413) on 2008-04-27 17:25:18 "You can talk to birds?" Brownie points for whoever knows what show that's from
^ I agree with that, but I think that there should be an addition to that rule.

Rule #1

NEVER EVER EVER EVER-be rude to the stagestaff. They can DESTROY your rep or make you a LAUGHING STOCK with literally NO effort. They will go tell the Director whats been going on, and Directors talk to other Directors. So by being a pain in the butt to several stagehands, you might never get cast in a show in that area again. EVER.

I have met several people who are a pain in the butt to me.

This was all in one show. I was in charge of costumes and makeup.

They wouldn't pay there costume fee.
They would take parts of their costume off because it was "hot".
They would miss entrances because they were getting water.
They would not wear the makeup that we told them too. Once I even had a girl threaten to "slap me so hard that I would feel it next week" if I tried to put the correct makeup on her.

And I told the director what was going on.

Now they cant understand why on earth they aren't getting cast in anything any more. *tear*

When this happened I was much younger than most of them, I was 14. So even if someone is younger than you, don't be rude. It will come back to bite you.

Don't be a jerk. Your just hurting yourself.
By Spiorad
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 07:06 PM
I agree with all of you. And I think it annoys me even more because I tech and act/sing/dance whatever so i know both sides. I just cant stand people getting an attitude especially like this guy who has no reason at ALL to have anything!

Thanks for letting me vent and understanding!
By m_rc
On Sun Apr 27, 2008 08:17 PM
irishdaydreamer wrote:

When this happened I was much younger than most of them, I was 14. So even if someone is younger than you, don't be rude. It will come back to bite you.

Don't be a jerk. Your just hurting yourself.

My FAV TRUE story:

The opera Tosca-ends with Tosca jumping off a roof after her beloved is excecuted.

Well, in a particular showing of this opera...a certain VERY well-endowed VERY well-known soprano diva was singing the title role...well she p*ssed off EVERYONE backstage and in the show....SO...in retaliation you know what the stagestaff chose to do?

Well, she jumps off the roof (and down out of sight from the audience)....FYI

Well, INSTEAD of putting a mat beneath her to stop her fall...

The put a TRAMPOLENE instead of the mats :D

So instead of jumping and falling out of sight-she bounced up and down into and out of view of the audience 9 or 10 times.

That is worse humiliation than anything I could think of--being a largely built diva bouncing up and down out of a pit, helpless to stop yourself, in front of a packed opera house.

Ouch.

Yea. NEVER make enemies of the stagestaff (I've worked both sides of the fence too).
re: Actors dont be rude to Techies. (karma: 1)
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 06, 2008 04:01 PM
Having worked both on stage in the capacity of an actor and off stage as a techie (I'm a light whore, I admit it.), I have to say... actors are stupid. And the techies are more important.

Without a techie, the stage lights won't come up. Without a techie, there is no scenery, no set, no nothing. Without a techie, the curtains don't open, there are no mics. Without a techie, there is no theater god. Without a theater god, there is no show.

So yeah, techies? Rock. When I'm on the stage, anything I can do to make my techies' jobs easier, I will do. It's all about them, because they manage to fool the entire audience into believing it's all about me. That's a pretty awesome thing. Yay techies!
By angieballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 06, 2008 04:07 PM
I like to live by one simple rule..

Treat others in the manner that you would like to be treated. Do it because it is the right thing to do. Also, do it because you never know when your bad behavior will come to bite you in the behind!
By omg_shoes
On Wed May 07, 2008 09:32 AM
Edited by Lirit (28370) on 2008-05-07 19:30:02 Profanity is not allowed on DDN.
oh my god what a little man brat. john was definitely not being professional at all....
it's people like him who give actors the impression of being stuck up and spoiled. without the techies they would be nowhere. *sigh* people need to grow up
By LiquidIcemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 PM
Being rude to stage staff is like an early death to your reputation- they'll either make your miserable for the rest of the production or they'll tear you to shreds all together.
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 10, 2008 11:45 PM
As an actor, I see absolutly nothing wrong with what John did. He might've damaged his voice by stooping to the level of a lowly techie and moving a desk or two. The superior John had more important things on his mind than techie work. Honestly, what WERE you thinking, Spiorad??

Just kidding!!

Personally, I'd love to strike back at John, but that's not the "right" thing to do. I guess. :)

Anyway - I totally understand. I have worked both sides of a show (actor and techie) and honestly, both sides not only work REALLY hard, but they NEED each other. As an actore, when I had quick changes, costume problems, hair problems and needed make-up done, I was absolutly helpless without the techies. HELPLESS. I would never dream of being mean to any member of any crew. As a lot of other members have said - it's just common courtesy.

ReplySendWatch