Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: How Long Until Pointe? Questions Answered.
By protostarnessie Comments: 51, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 PM
You are so right. I think you are smart and should tell this stuff to some of the girls at my studio. Thanks.
By peachygirl90 Comments: 61, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Sat May 15, 2010 10:01 AM
so u say if u r a teen or adult just starting u should ask about it... how long should u wait to ask after ur first day... three months? as soon as possible? one year?

i am asking this because i am a teenager who has only two weeks of ballet so far and doesnt know when would be appropiate

also how would you state the question
By Berry_Kitsunemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 128, member since Tue Aug 11, 2009
On Sun May 23, 2010 03:40 PM
^^^ While I'm not on pointe yet, I've brought the question up with my teacher. I asked her about 4 or 5 months in because I wanted to make sure I loved ballet (which by now I'm definitely sure I ADORE it)

The way I asked was after prepointe class when I knew she had time I said "I wanted to ask you a question, I know pointe takes a lot of training, strength and dedication and I would love to be able to do it one day. Would you say maybe two or three years then I can maybe look at pointe as a possibility?" and we got into a conversation on it and I was so happy I did because I know pointe isn't just a dream now I just have to work towards it even more ^_^
By protostarnessie Comments: 51, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Sun May 30, 2010 06:57 AM
You are most definitely right. Although I don't take three 1.5 classes per week, I have been doing ballet for nine years and my classes average out. I take three 1 hour classes and one 1.5 hour class. I started pointe five months ago, and before getting up, I practiced my high demi pointe A LOT! Thanks!
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Fri Apr 30, 2010
On Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:44 AM
Thank you so much! This post was extremely helpful and I will definitely start doing all of the things on the list when the summer session starts. I am a late starter in dance (I started last summer when I turned 13 and will be turning 14 this summer), but I was quickly placed in Pre-Pointe. Now, many of my friends are going up en pointe, and I understand better what I need to work on from reading this post. Karma to you!
By dancingkeisha Comments: 95, member since Thu Nov 01, 2007
On Thu Jun 24, 2010 08:11 AM
Great post, my daughter has been dancing since she was 2 and a half and she has done all her ballet exams upto now and will be going on pointe end of this year she is 14 so has been dancing a long time, it doesnt all come at once you have to be dedicated and ballet is a very disciplined dance style. thanx
By hannahgil Comments: 29, member since Fri Aug 13, 2010
On Sat Aug 28, 2010 02:24 PM
Very,very helpful.Thank you to whoever put this together.
By kikiballerina Comments: 21, member since Sat Oct 02, 2010
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 AM
Thank You sooo much! I have wanted to get on to pointe scence I was 3 years old and I am ten right now. I know a girl how has been doing pointe for 1 year is a pre-pro. And she is only 1 year older than me. I really want to be like her any pointers? I supossubly have about 3 years till than!

Thanks again!

Kiki
By kirsty_c3Premium member Comments: 59, member since Sat Dec 05, 2009
On Sat Jan 22, 2011 04:24 PM
i love the "pointework is a privelage not a right" makes it sound and feel so much more special!! you ussually have to wait untill your technique is good enough before going on pointe and some teachers or dance associations require you to be on a specific grade
By Ashhh Comments: 35, member since Tue Jan 19, 2010
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 02:48 PM
thanks! this was all really helpful! i cannot WAIT to start points ahaaa :)
By LilytheBallerina Comments: 22, member since Wed Feb 09, 2011
On Tue Feb 15, 2011 03:08 AM
when I first started ballet a year ago I lived off this post! thank you so much for getting me through all the waiting and preparing! I just got the ok from my dance physio last week and I am sooo excited! Thanx again, mooshrimp :)
By pointework Comments: 150, member since Sun May 15, 2011
On Sun May 15, 2011 08:07 PM
Edited by pointework (235953) on 2011-05-15 22:06:30
Edited by pointework (235953) on 2011-05-15 22:08:00
i am 30 years old and im a guy and have been taking ballet for a while now ive had about 2 and 1/2 years of training in ballet and i took a break but then got back into in i was wondering when would be a good time to trying taking pointe work ive only been having class once a week and for an hour but i will be starting another class in june which will add an hour and im starting to practice at home for a half hour a day ballet work that is not pointe.
By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Mon Jun 13, 2011 06:49 AM
Wow, this is great! Thank you so much!!:)
By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Tue Aug 16, 2011 04:57 PM
I hope this helps some girls that keep begging their teahcers to start pointe when they come into class and don't even pay attention!

This was great!

By idkdancer Comments: 5, member since Tue Jun 21, 2011
On Sat Sep 10, 2011 05:46 PM
Wow, this really helped. i tried the things that you said and it worked out perfectly. than you soooo iooooooo much. my ballet teacher has said that i have been getting better at pointe work. than you soooo much.
By PinUpDoll Comments: 2, member since Tue Sep 27, 2011
On Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 PM
GREAT post! As a late restarter, I've always wanted to be able to do pointe but as tap was always my favorite, it never happened. Your detail was very helpful, especially in offering a great lead in for a "late" starter or restarter to ask about pointe without sounding like an idiot. Thanks again!--Jenni
By bolshoiballet Comments: 3, member since Thu Oct 20, 2011
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 05:58 PM
i used your tips (i am 20 years old, about a year into ballet) and they were very helpful. i was trying to rush myself in to pointe, but realized i should slow down and get all the basics down first. and now i've finally started pointe. about a month in! i shouldn't be so excited; i'm not exactly a natural. but i've been working hard, hopefully i'll get it down soon :)
By lizzygrl Comments: 2, member since Fri Feb 17, 2012
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 06:31 AM
Mooshrimp,

I'm doing a school project on adults dancing on pointe. I know you yourself started dance at a later age. Could I ask you some more questions off-forum? You can message me your e-mail address.

THANKS!
By lizzygrl Comments: 2, member since Fri Feb 17, 2012
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 06:35 AM
Mooshrimp,

I'm doing a school project on adults dancing on pointe. I know you yourself started dance at a later age. Could I ask you some more questions off-forum? You can message me your e-mail address.

THANKS!
By CYBDancer Comments: 12, member since Sun Mar 18, 2012
On Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 PM
Thanks so much.
By dancingmuffin Comments: 6, member since Sat May 26, 2012
On Sat May 26, 2012 03:04 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Do you know any good resistance band exercises to help strengthen my feet and core?
By ChopinianaGirl Comments: 133, member since Sat Dec 31, 2011
On Sat May 26, 2012 03:27 AM
There are already thousands of posts on this topic. If you scroll up to the top of this page and type in the google custom search box 'theraband feet' you have many options to choose from.
By dancingmuffin Comments: 6, member since Sat May 26, 2012
On Sat May 26, 2012 03:30 AM
Thank you very much! I have recently ordered them so they will be coming in very soon!
By ChopinianaGirl Comments: 133, member since Sat Dec 31, 2011
On Sat May 26, 2012 03:33 AM
Glad to help : )
By Dancer395 Comments: 50, member since Sun May 29, 2011
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:27 PM
I just want to thank you for your post. I read this post a long time ago and decided to ask my teacher about pointe. I had been on pre-pointe for about a year and needed new shoes, but I didn't want to waste money on shoes I wouldn't need. So I went up to her and asked her what kind of shoes I should get (as in pre-pointe or pointe). When I asked her she seemed surprised. Not because I wasn't ready, but she seemed surprised that I was still on pre-pointe instead of pointe. She is a very forgetful person. After that I got my pointe shoes and started quickly. So thank you.
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch