Forum: Advice / Support

Support
Understanding and treating depression (karma: 7)
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Tue May 06, 2008 11:06 PM
Moved to Support by Lirit (28370) on 2008-05-07 06:30:10 Moved to the support board, which so needs this sort of sticky.
Made sticky by Lirit (28370) on 2008-05-07 06:30:27

Every so often, a post pops up from someone who is concerned that they might be suffering from depression, and the advice given by members of DDN is alwas encourgaing and fantastic, so I thought I'd create a collection reference thread to help out.

Having suffered depression myself, and now working in the field of non-clinical mental health, I found vrious resoruces like this to be helpful ain getting some perspective on my health, so I hope this can help others.

Depressed, or Just feeling blue?
Most of us feel depressed from time to time. This is usually linked to changes, losses and setbacks that are a part of life. We can feel down about a death, job loss, the end of a relationship, physical problems, failures, social problems and so on.
Depression associated with such life events, though painful, is usually TEMPOARY and lifts once life returns to normal.

Depression may become a serious problem however, if it is ONGOING and not linked to obvious cause.

If you are experiencing four or more of the following symptoms on a REGULAR and ongoing basis, you may have a problem with depression which will require attention:

Constantly sad, blue, or down in the dumps,
Lost interest in activities you used to enjoy,
Overeating or under eating (loss of appetite),
Oversleeping or under sleeping,
Less active than usual,
Finding yourself avoiding other people,
No longer getting a boost from compliments or praise,
Lost all interest in sex,
A low-self esteem or are highly critical of yourself,
Have become less efficient at work/school/home,
Less able to cope with everyday routines,
Find it very difficult to make even trivial decisions,
Entertaining morbid thoughts, of suicide or self harm. (or currently self harming)

It is very painful to live with depression. Some people liken it to being lost in a fog, or being pressed down by a great weight. The colour seems to drain out of the world, the nights are too long, nothing seems to bring any comfort and you feel alone, even in a group.
What these descriptions have in common is a sense of HOPELESSNESS, a lack of future and a deep lonely feeling of ISOLATION.

But you are certainly not alone!
In fact, the World Health Organisation has even suggested that 15% of the population suffer from a kind of depression which seriously effects a person’s ability to function normally.

The Different kinds of Depression
The CLINICAL terms for Depression include:

Reactive or Situational – Depression that is triggered by an external event (and therefore usually temporary)

Endogenous – This is the type of depression that is believed to be triggered by INTERNAL factors, such as genes or biochemical triggers.

Your depression and other people’s perception
Depression makes an impact on most, if not all, areas of your life, but few can take such a toll as in your dealings with others. Some of the problems you might face include:

Feeling that the depth of your pain is being TRIVIALISED.
Feeling INADEQUATE and like a FAILURE because you are depressed.
Felling GUILTY and UNGRATEFUL for being this way.
Feeling caught between wanting to be alone and feeling rejected if you are.
Feeling MISUNDERSTOOD.
Feeling very ALONE.

One of the greatest difficulties in all of this is conveying to others what you are FEELING and having them UNDERSTAND.
An important key here is understanding the difference between being UNHAPPY (which others may perceive your problem as) and being DEPRESSED (which is how you feel.) – and there is a difference.
When you’re unhappy: you can seek comfort and allow yourself to feel comforted.
When you’re depressed: you feel unable to do either.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have never been educated about depression, and some can tend to take things the wrong way.
You may find it difficult to communicate because your feelings are CONFUSING, PAINFUL and you LACK ENERGY: others may take this lack of responsiveness personally.

You may feel as though your ENERGY has DISAPPEARED: others may mistake this for laziness.

You may feel UNWORTHY, GULITY and FLAWED. You may tend to GIREVE over the HOPE you have lost. Yes, you DO tend to feel sorry for yourself: but you have good reason to, and it can be beyond your control.
However others might see this as selfish.

All of these things make it very difficult for EITHER PARTY to close the gap by REACHING OUT, but..
REACHING OUT IS CRUCIAL

Getting Help.
Depression is classified as a serious health condition by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (American Psychiatric Association, 2000) AND the International Classification of Diseases (World Health Organisation, 2006).
It is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, and if you feel as though you may be suffering from depression, it is important that you seek professional help to get you on the mend.

The first step, is mentioning how you are feeling to your GP or family doctor. They will then be able to assess your situation, and refer you to psychologist, or psychiatrist: or perhaps both.

The definition of a psychologist can be found here:
www.google.com.au . . .

The definition of a psychiatrist can be found here: www.google.com.au . . .

Some cases of depression may require medicating. This often comes in the form of anti-depressant medication, which your GP or psychiatrist will prescribe for you.

You can read about anti-depressant medications, and their side effects here:
health.ninemsn.com.au . . .

Starting anti depressant medication for the first time can be scary and intimidating, so make sure you ask your doctor any and every question you have about any medications you might be on.
Remember: they are there to help you, and are trained in the field of mental health, so you do not have to feel embarrassed to air your problems and concerns to them.
99% of the time, they are more than happy to answer any questions or meet and requests you might have.
Treating depression is a partnership between you and your health professional, so don’t feel the need to take the back seat., work with them on achieving what works best for YOU.

When you feel like you can’t go on – Let someone know!
Below are two telephone counselling services which you can call at any time of the day if you feel you need help. i’ll add more as I find them for other countries)
If you are thinking of harming yourself or seriously contemplating suicide, or even if you feel trapped and need someone to talk to urgently: I urge you to pick up the phone and make the call.

National Suicide Hotline (USA) - 1-800-784-2433 (24 hours)
Lifeline (Australia) - 13 11 14 (24 hours)

Resources used in this thread:
‘Taming the Black Dog’ by Bev Aisbett.
All other resources and websites listed.

19 Replies to Understanding and treating depression

re: Understanding and treating depression
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2836, member since Fri Jun 09, 2006
On Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 AM
I'd say "sticky" here.. Great post, well done. I think this can be useful for many, many people here on DDN.

Thanks!
By DeeDeesPremium member Comments: 4147, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 AM
Sticky too
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 AM
Sticky Sticky Sticky :)

Great post Tig!
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2579, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Wed May 07, 2008 03:31 AM
As a sufferer of clinical depression, can I just say a HUGE thank you! If something like this had been available to me when I was younger, I wouldn't have suffered in silence for so many years!

sticky sticky sticky!!!

xxMOOMxx
By Rubberband17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1578, member since Sat May 19, 2007
On Wed May 07, 2008 08:45 AM
Thank you for this post. My brother suffers from depression, and I don't really understand it. I've always thought it just means you feel bad. Your post helped me to see depression is not just a feeling you can shake. Thank you! I'll now look into it more, so I'm futher educated on this matter.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Tue May 20, 2008 04:30 PM
Great post!

I'm sure that many people can learn a lot from it :)
By dancegirl90member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1077, member since Thu Dec 09, 2004
On Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 AM
Thanks for posting this!

Very informative and nice to have when you're feeling down.

Love,
Terry
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 07:11 PM
You can read about anti-depressant medications, and their side effects here:
health.ninemsn.com.au . . .

Sorry, I could not find any mention of side effects on that website.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 07:08 PM
This is so helpful. I'm experiencing something right now and I'm trying to figure out if it's depression or not, and along with the help and support of my boyfriend (who's also been through depression), this is so useful.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 01:03 AM
sorry madmilt, that was mant to be a dual link:

www.healthyplace.com . . .
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:15 PM
Thank you very much.
By Filya Comments: 22, member since Sun Aug 24, 2008
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 05:04 PM
Wow!
It's incredible. So helpfull!
Such a full information, nothing to add, nothing to take away...
By thenextfonteyn42 Comments: 419, member since Sat May 12, 2007
On Sun Nov 23, 2008 08:21 AM
Great sticky! :) Karma's going to you, DeStijl!
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8306, member since Mon Apr 01, 2002
On Sun Nov 23, 2008 02:04 PM
Norge:

815 33300 Kirkens SOS
800 33321 Barn og unges kontakktelefon

Comment #7750287 deleted
Removed by alleycat (25274) on 2008-11-23 15:27:13 Double post

By missbliss Comments: 28, member since Sun Dec 23, 2007
On Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:04 PM
Thanks, that was great, I too suffered/suffer at times from depression, it's kinda tough. SO yeah this was great
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Mon May 04, 2009 01:36 AM
fantastic post! x
By LonelyTiger Comments: 1, member since Sun May 10, 2009
On Sun May 10, 2009 12:57 AM
Edited by LonelyTiger (211366) on 2009-05-10 01:04:44
how about feeling depressed because your only best friend lives on the other side of the world, then you got a cat and a family but feel so misunderstood and completely invisible, scared of your neighborhood because they all have had the police in front of their house and when you first moved in, you get nearly strangled to death. Is that just feeling normally blue or am i depressed?

Gee, everything in that list matches me. But the reason i feel this way is because of everything that has hapend to me and everything that is happening to me, except i'm not suicidal, i plan on having kids, people say they are little bundles of joy, i could use some joy.
By dancingthrulife1 Comments: 428, member since Mon Jan 14, 2008
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 PM
Just wanted to add this. It's one of those "you're not alone" sites, and it helped me a lot.

twloha.com

Awesome sticky :) Very helpful for many people.

ReplySendWatch