Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Anyone know how to use an Air blade?
By crhod87
On Wed May 07, 2008 07:58 AM

So this is my second year coaching a color guard routine and I really don't have my place to have a 'say so' about anything. Anyways, my band director thinks that instead of using your traditional weapon: rifle or sabre, we should use this weapon that JUST came out- the air blade. It looks kind of like a rifle and sabre's new born child. Pretty wicked. However, I have NO CLUE as to anything you can do with it other than SUPER easy moves like slams and suck....anyone have any suggestions?

8 Replies to Anyone know how to use an Air blade?

re: Anyone know how to use an Air blade?
By tapguard
On Sat May 10, 2008 09:21 PM
I would think you could do most things that you would do with a rifle. Since there is no neck, it might make handling it a bit different. I'm not sure anyone can actually say too much at this point since it just came out, but I would guess you should be able to do flourishes and different kinds of carves with it, most things as you would a rifle only with some modifications. I won't be using it with my guard this season but am thinking of getting one just to try it out. It looks interesting. Good luck!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 10, 2008 10:13 PM
What's an air blade?
By tapguard
On Tue May 13, 2008 08:10 PM
It's just a new kind of rifle with holes in it, similar to a sickle rifle. It's on the main page if you go to bandshoppe.com
By Colombian89
On Wed May 14, 2008 09:43 AM
Never seen an airblade before...But those look cool. I want to see about spinning one.
By curlicarly667
On Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:24 AM
ohhh yeahh. Some veterans on our guard use them. Basically, they do the same thing as a rifle. Lots of tosses. Personally, I think they're kind of ugly though :)
By Flitzcgcg06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 22, 2008 06:59 PM
I dunno, I think they look a little cheap. I am pretty traditional though and like the basic rifle sabre flag deal. If it's a budget thing then I'd say go for it. I have never tried one but I think that it looks like there isn't much to do with them. If I saw a guard spinning them, not knowing what they are, I would think that they were just a prop to go with the show. But it could be cool to say that the guard you teach uses them.

As for what to do with them, get one and play around with it and get a feel for what it does and the differences it has to rifle and sabre.
By tycj02
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 02:30 PM
Here is a link on You Tube, someone demonstrating spinning the air blade. There are more to watch than just this one.

www.youtube.com . . .
By dancrgrl783
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 09:59 AM
yeah we just got one for our guard and no one knows how to use it at all

ReplySendWatch