Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Feeling old?
By xXx_Amy_xXxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 AM

I know this may sound silly as im only 19 and obviosly im not old but in the disco world it feels like i am one of the older ones now...obviosly i dance adults but because adults is from 16 upwards i am one of the more mature dancers...not saying they are immature or anything but i do feel kind of old lol anyone else feel like this?
xxx

28 Replies to Feeling old?

re: Feeling old?
By AandKDesignzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 10, 2008 11:59 AM
Hi there,
Well I left disco at 17 (now take my wee Rara along though :P)and am now 19.
I still dance and do annual shows, but yes, i understand how you feel about being an older one. I just wish we could encourage more "older dancers" to get into dance. And we wouldn't feel a bit "mature and older"
LOL
Love Amy xx

Comment #7172838 deleted
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2008-05-10 13:51:18 This forum is for members who are 18 or older

By funkimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 10, 2008 01:23 PM
I started dancing late at 15 years young, I am now 18 (19 in sep) and still doing it! I had a break to have a baby and started dancing again when kenzie was 3 weeks old!! I love being one of the older dances, I am the oldest dancer in my school, and the younger ones sometimes come up to me and ask for advice and stuff.

I am planning on retireing when i'm ready and at the moment I am so not ready!!!

keighley xxx
By Bdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 10, 2008 02:17 PM
Hey
God im the oldest so far lol
Im 23 and still competing and yes at times i feel like a granny on the floor haha but i still love it!
Im planning on retiring may next year so gettin another full year yet and gettin a year out of my new suits hehe

Love
Ciara xxx
By Hannah_spana
On Sat May 10, 2008 03:58 PM
Hi
I think there are lots of older dancers out there, not as many as the younger ones but at big comps like DKKQ you see loads of adult girl and boy!
Im 18, 19 in october and i still love it!
Hannah xx
By Vena
On Sat May 10, 2008 04:27 PM
I think its great to see older dancers. Its so easy for girls/boys to get side tracked as teenagers and quit dancing. You show great determination and dedication. You should be proud of your age and that your still competing. You are someone for our kids to look up to, I know my daughters admire the older dancers.

Vena
By disco_natmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 10, 2008 04:39 PM
I'm 19 and on the verge of quitting. Only because i have been dancing from when i was 7 or 8. Your not old though my friend is 20.
By sophistikat
On Sat May 10, 2008 05:12 PM
Hi,
I am double your age and I still dance!
In the disco world i feel ancient, in the ballroom i feel like one of the younger ones as sections are sometimes run for the over 75s!
sharon
By o0_Dance4joy_0omember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 11, 2008 02:48 AM
1 Image(s) detached by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-05-11 10:22:18 image not necessary.
hiya

ia ma 24 turning 25 this summer
I still dance and I love it
I still dolot ofcomps

I my danceschool there are more older dancers
22 23 24..we have a whole adult team.
at our comps I really not the oldest..especially in pairs and teams lot of older girls and boy dance..
in solo's less..

but on the europian champs there are also dancers who are 34
they dance amazing. great technique..,fab jumps, acrobatics, flexibilty.. really stunning

I will retire with my soloroutines end of april 2009..
but not because of my age..just because of a disease in my bones.. pairs I wil continue year longer and team no idea..
show i will keep on doing, and i started me own dance school.. so will be busy with dancing for a long time.

Great board 18+

Love Marcia
By Sadie_Mag_Tanzenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 11, 2008 07:24 AM
Hiya

Im 19, 20 in a couple of months and I retired from disco when I was just turned 18. At the time I felt really old but looking back I wish i'd competed a bit longer- age is just a number when you're having fun ;)

Sadie
X
By Hazie_babes36
On Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 AM
Hi

What a great post!

its nice to hear that im not the only older one out there!!

I was 21 in feb, when i comes to dancing I dont look or feel my age, which I love!!
sometimes I do feel old though cause the nearest to my age in my dance school is 18, there are about 3 other girls that are 18 and some coming up to that.

alot are 15 and 16!
and we have lots of little ones!!

when I dance i dont feel im too old cause I feel I look the same as all the others in my section, and some are just 16!!

I think also that more older dancers should carry on, its great to feel young at dancing!!

Hazel xx
By Vickiliciousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 11, 2008 12:08 PM
Hey
I'm 19 and have no intention of retiring yet.
Look at Nicola Lennie. She was 24 I think and AMAZING!! I agree with Hannah, at all the big comps there are adult girls of all ages! :D
xxx
By XXchansmellXX
On Sun May 11, 2008 12:54 PM
i compleatly understand what your saying
im 21 and still dance, people always say to me give up your to old to do disco. glad i aint the only one who feels like this
chantelle x
By sammyjo
On Sun May 11, 2008 01:05 PM
Im 19!!
sometimes i feel old we usually make jokes out of it!

- but i feel im still on a high and doing well in adults- i also still love to dance

I know what you mean about dancing when they put youth and adult together i feel i dont stand a chance of winning as the 16 yr olds are way better! lol

sammy jo xx
By J_Raybouldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 11, 2008 01:37 PM
well i have been in adult girl since christmas and i hate the fact the section is called 'adult' makes me feel really old haha!!!
i am finishing at the end of this year as i just feel i am getting a bit to old for it althouhg there are alot of dancers older then me the majority of dancers at comp are under the age of 16 plus i would like to use the time for other things, i will still attend comps but just not dance at them,

i think when i do finish i will miss dancing and dressing up loads but i would like to finish while i am on a high and still love dancing and have the good memories of it all :D

xxxx
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 12, 2008 03:54 AM
yes! I feel old a lot of the time! I'm 24 and am just getting back into dance, I gave up when I was 17 due to a back injury but am now trying to get back into it. I did feel really old when I first went back, then one of the other dancers said she thought I was 17!! hahaha, way to make my day!

but I'm sure i'll feel a lot older if I do comps again :)

xxMOOMxx
re: Feeling old? (karma: 1)
By Danztarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 12, 2008 06:02 AM
I'm 23 and compete regularly. I only started comps at 18 so I'm really proud to have got myself up to Champs starting at such a late age. I really enjoy the comps and never feel like I'm too old as there are loads of adults - admittedly at the comps I go to they are probably mostly in the 17 - 19 age bracket but I don't think of my age when dancing. The only time I really think about it is in classes as while I get on with everyone there's a pretty big age gap as the next oldest one is 18 so it would be nice to have more people there my age lol.
I think more should be done to encourage dancers to start Disco later because I think the age thing might put some people off starting.
By xXx_Amy_xXxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 12, 2008 06:06 AM
Glad to know im not the only one who feels like this!! haha! I know im not old though just feel older lol! I think we should have an under18 (youth) intermidiat...it works in champ so i think inters should have one too but just my opinion lol!! thanks for all your replies!! xxx
By claire_tomlinson
On Mon May 12, 2008 07:36 AM
im 20, 21 in september but my age really doesnt bother me because i enjoy dancing and thats all that matters!
im not as flexible as i used to be but that just makes me push myself more!
also i dont look my age, some people say i look about 16,lol :)
luv claire xx
By modern_dancamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 13, 2008 06:59 AM
hiya
good post
i'm 19 and only started disco when i was 16/17 so im defintly not ready to retire yet!
i will retire when i feel the times right, not depending on my age!
i guess it is hard sometimes as theres so many younger dancers, but you have to keep doing what you love regardless of age
lotsa love Emma xxx
By Helen_elise
On Tue May 13, 2008 02:52 PM
Hiya,

Im 21/22 at the end of the year and I wouold have to say that the majority of our dance school are 12 or around that age. Its really odd being one of the oldest, you cant really get involved in many of the discussions...but talk to the mums more!

I find that I might have to give up due to work and other commitments, does anyone else feel like this?

Helen xx
By Danztarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 14, 2008 03:03 AM
^Hi Helen,

Yes I'm starting to think about when might be a good time to stop Freestyle as I have a lot of things going on in my life. At the moment I'm managing to juggle training one evening a week sometimes on a Saturday as well, my other dancing one evening a week, a full time job and a boyfriend plus trying to go out and have a social life lol so I'm going to continue as long as I can as I do enjoy comps and I think when you do stop doing the comps you need to make sure that you really are ready so you don't regret anything. I'm hoping to go to uni late next year so I think I will have to stop then lol.

Carly
By arkdancer
On Sat May 17, 2008 11:39 AM
hi now I really feel old! I'm 28 and although i've danced since being tiny I only started competing last year when I started taking my 6 year old daughter to comps. Sometimes I feel like i'm too old when I see 16 & 17 year olds getting up to dance but when I get out there I really enjoy myself and while ever i'm having fun i'll keep going!! i think there should be more older adults competing because the rush is amazing, and its pretty good exercise too!!
By laura007member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 20, 2008 09:10 AM
hia, am 20, i give up freetyle last month due to back problems, my body just couldnt keep up any more, miss it loads thou! and it was hard trying to manage 3 jobs and dance traing, it it was'nt for my back i would still be there! x
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch