Poll: Highland / Highland - Theory

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
If you could change anything with highland dance what would it be?
By JiggyHorse Comments: 52, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Sun May 11, 2008 05:46 PM

I was wanting to know what other people thought they would change with dancing. If you chose number 5 please let me know what you would change it to!

-JiggyHorse

81 Replies to If you could change anything with highland dance what would it be?

re: If you could change anything with highland dance what would it be?
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Sun May 11, 2008 07:02 PM
I would like to see full results at competitions (so if there are fifteen dancers in my category, and I don't get called for awards, I would like to know whether I was consistently 7th, or 10th, or last).
By kneesoot Comments: 204, member since Sun Sep 26, 2004
On Mon May 12, 2008 01:07 PM
I thought the same as Seniorlady but espically at champs so you could see what each judge gave you.
By kneesoot Comments: 204, member since Sun Sep 26, 2004
On Mon May 12, 2008 01:08 PM
I thought the same as Seniorlady but espically at champs so you could see what each judge gave you.
By Katy_Liz Comments: 962, member since Tue Jan 13, 2004
On Mon May 12, 2008 01:58 PM
Edited by Katy_Liz (81901) on 2008-05-12 14:05:27
I would like to see more dances added to the ones that are on the competition list. Not necessarily a higher limit of dances per competition, but a greater variety of dances to compete in. I know there are tons of dances out there (just have to look at what the SOHDA offers in their competitions to know that). SOBHD should do that, too. Maybe more dancers would stay in highland if there was more variety.

Regarding the above posters who want to see where they placed in the class. I'm not for publishing the results of the entire class because I think there are dancers who would be devastated to find out they were last - dancers for whom just not placing is enough to know they weren't in the top that day. Now I know people are going to say, if you can't stand the competition heat, stay out of the fire! Maybe a way to go would be having them made available to you upon request?
Having said that, there might have to be a revamp of the system. It would be interesting to hear from judges as to how much thought is actually put into ranking the dancers in the bottom of the class. You'd want to make sure it was worthwhile finding out if you were 10th or last.
I don't mean to imply that I KNOW that judges don't spend as much time thinking about the bottom half of the class, I was just wondering if that was the case.
By seiyaferretmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 931, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Mon May 12, 2008 02:08 PM
My biggest thing would be to add maybe an older adult category to Championships. Maybe one that starts at 30 & over, but only if there were enough dancers to merit it. I have nothing against the young'uns, But they have the distinct advantage of youth on ther side. I have no idea how those who make it to worlds compete two days in a row. I can't even compete two weeks in a row. My body just can't take it...it violenty protests. LOL
By JiggyPig Comments: 56, member since Sun Feb 03, 2008
On Thu May 22, 2008 05:10 PM
I would love to know why I didn't place higher at a dance competition from the judges perspective!!!
By SpiffyLlama78 Comments: 1465, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Thu May 22, 2008 05:19 PM
I would love judges comments and the option to see full results. In Irish dance, a few days after the competition you can see full results (only using competitor numbers instead of full names), and you get an email with any comments you may have gotten.
By highlandbanshee Comments: 165, member since Fri Sep 07, 2007
On Thu May 22, 2008 06:47 PM
I would like to see a bigger variety of dances. I know that the sword, the fling, the trews and the reel are the backbone of Highland dancing. But there are a lot of years when you know that the beginners will do the lilt, novices the flora, intermediates will do the hornpipe and premiers will do the jig. Yes, I know that this is some over simplification, but I would love to see some of the lesser known dances done. This includes the Highland Laddie, Barracks Johnny, Scotch Measure, and Earl of Earrol.
By highlandbanshee Comments: 165, member since Fri Sep 07, 2007
On Thu May 22, 2008 06:49 PM
Edited by highlandbanshee (185139) on 2008-05-22 18:51:50
I also agree with seirraferret! I have seen a lot more dancers over the age of 30 in the last few years.
By Wee_FootedDancer Comments: 91, member since Fri May 02, 2008
On Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 PM
I would love to be able to see corrections and what you were marked. It would be a wonderful way to be able to improve for the next competition!
By megan1507 Comments: 97, member since Thu May 15, 2008
On Sun Jun 22, 2008 05:09 AM
I would also like to see comments from the judges. I would like them to tell us what we did wrong or what they did not like. Then we would be able to improve for the next competition.

Megan. :D
By sworddancer2 Comments: 158, member since Wed Jun 11, 2008
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 06:51 AM
Comments would help so much, especially once you've finished all the medal tests. Placings all the way to the end of the class would be great, it would let you see if you've improved. For example, if there are 6-7 really good dancers, you may not place ever for several years. If you saw full results, you could see yourself improve and go from being last to maybe being 8th. I think it would be much more motivating.
By Rockstep Comments: 594, member since Fri Sep 02, 2005
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 09:55 AM
I don't think we need whole new dances added to the Highland repertoire...But I'd like to see NEW STEPS introduced to the dances, especially in the 4 Highlands.
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Thu Jul 10, 2008 01:05 PM
I would like placings all the way down the class as well. For example, if you're in a group of 14, it makes a difference whether you just missed awards by being 7th or if you're dead last. :) This would be even better if we had comments as well.
By dancingmate Comments: 28, member since Mon Apr 09, 2007
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 07:36 PM
When I did a classical solo in competition the judge wrote a report and told me what I had to work on and what I did well. I think it should be the same with highland judges, even though they're watching three of us instead of one. (Mum thinks I'm asking a lot!)
re: If you could change anything with highland dance what would it be? (karma: 1)
By Katy_Liz Comments: 962, member since Tue Jan 13, 2004
On Fri Jul 11, 2008 09:52 PM
If the judges' comments were going to be given to the dancers, the whole comment procedure would have to change, because as it stands, most judges' comments on the sheets are limited to a few words to remind themselves who the dancers are, ie. "glasses", "blue kilt", "stopped" and the like. They do not write comments that would help you understand why you didn't place. Many times, they do not write anything at all; they just give a mark out of 100.
By helenhame Comments: 37, member since Thu Jun 12, 2008
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 06:17 AM
I would like to see 4 judges instead of one or two at smaller competitions! Looks as though it may have to go down this route as it will be much fairer.
By JiggyHorse Comments: 52, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:16 AM
Thanks for your guys' comments this is wonderful and maybe this will come into consideration in the future, I agree with everyone's comments some of you have posted lot's and that's great again thank you and have a good time on the site,
JiggyHorse
By dancermums Comments: 39, member since Sun Jul 13, 2008
On Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:06 PM
I have been to a competition that is a festival, where although you pay more to dance, you receive an adjudication form from the judge. It gives a mark out of 100, and then says what the judge liked and didn't like about the dance. Each judge is given a "write" who writes down the comments as you dance. Each dancer dances solo, so that the judge can focus on your technique. Even if you make a mistake, you are encouraged to continue, so the judge can critique the rest of the dance. I would like to see more of these opportunities.
By j_llama Comments: 127, member since Thu Aug 07, 2008
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 02:59 PM
results from 1st to last would be nice....
By my2cents Comments: 57, member since Thu Jul 14, 2005
On Tue Sep 23, 2008 03:48 PM
I love the idea of a 30&over group. I'm way out of shape to compete, but I'd be motivated to get back in shape if I knew there was a senior class.
By kaykay6 Comments: 246, member since Thu Apr 03, 2008
On Wed Sep 24, 2008 01:16 AM
When I danced - like, QUITE a few years ago here (and in NZ P & D), we did receive written comments from the judge. Infact the judge had a writer who wrote what she/he wanted down. My mum was a judge and my sister used to write for her, my spelling was never good enough, apparently! It was useful to see where you had gone wrong. But think of it from the poor judges point of view. I do admit we never danced in anything where there were major numbers of compeditors but in a big championship it would be a nightmare!
By GaelicWannabe Comments: 212, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:52 PM
I would love it if there was a way to get some feedback from the judge. Situations like some people have described where there's a scribe with the judge and you a form back with comments would be fabulous. However, I also see how that could be difficult to do when there's a large number of competitors. There might also be issues, if the judge is dictating to a scribe, with eavesdroppers. I could envision some parents listening in then confronting the judge if they don't agree with their opinions. I'd be interested to know if this has happened at competitions where this has been done.
By stori_lundi Comments: 188, member since Wed Aug 02, 2006
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 07:45 AM
Yay older premiere category!! :)

I'd change the divisions and make a more gradual transition from beginner to premiere.

As is, you don't do anything new from beginner to novice. I'd add in a couple more national dances in novice like the barracks and laddie.

For intermediate, I'd limit jigs and hornpipes to 4 or 5 steps and encourage competitions to have at least one highland be extended steps. Right now, most intermediate competitions are either all short steps or all long steps with only a few competitions adding in one or two longer step dances. (At least in my area.) Having all short steps doesn't give you practice with the extended steps. Having all long steps all at once is a huge jump. It would be nice if there was more of a transition. I'd also make you stamp out of intermediate like beginner and novice.
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch