Poll: Highland / Highland - Theory

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: If you could change anything with highland dance what would it be?
By highlanddancer96member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 83, member since Sat Aug 22, 2009
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 08:16 PM
It would be good to see what the judges are looking for and what they like and what they dont like about peoples dancing especially interstate judges.
By jesujoma Comments: 23, member since Mon Sep 21, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 08:46 AM
Have the scoring results at competition public, We get the results at gymnastics meets for ages over 8, this way you can see if your child is improving based on score not based on the strength of the competition from meet to meet.
By jesujoma Comments: 23, member since Mon Sep 21, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 08:49 AM
At competitions, I would have the kids that have all their stamps for their level move on to the next level. Many events we see a full stamp card and the kids continue to compete at the lower level.
By flora_girl Comments: 125, member since Wed Apr 01, 2009
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 07:57 AM
I would like it if we could ask the judge what they didn't like about our dancing
By Rockstep Comments: 594, member since Fri Sep 02, 2005
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 08:21 AM
We really don't need judges giving score cards or telling dancers how and what they did that day. It isn't a mystery, just ask your teacher how you did. She'll tell you!

My thoughts on what needs to change in Highland:

What really needs to happen is that intermediate needs to become a category that you have to earn your way out of. The jump to premier should be the hardest to accomplish, and it's the easiest!...you just wait a year. It's ridiculous. I think earning your way out of this cateogory should be based on something harder than 6 stamps, it should be 6 firsts. Being plunked in premier is the end for a lot of competing dancers because they aren't really good enough to compete there. I don't think every dancer should make it to premier and right now, that's what happens.
By stori_lundi Comments: 188, member since Wed Aug 02, 2006
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 08:13 PM
I agree with this completely. Move some of the easier dances like Barracks and Laddie down to Novice to make that more challenging and then make kids stamp out of Intermediate. You'd have to make it so that kids are slowed down a bit but not bottle-necked. Some kids go through beginners and novice each in a year so maybe have stamps for 1st or 2nd.
By ifinance Comments: 2275, member since Mon Jun 26, 2006
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:49 PM
Edited by ifinance (161860) on 2009-10-13 23:03:53
I think they made a mistake a long time ago when they did away with the Advanced Intermediate class. If they reinstated the Advanced Intermediate class, I would recommend 6 stamps for Intermediate and have Barracks and Laddie designated for Intermediate. I would still introduce the longer Highland Dances with the Intermediate class, however Hornpipe and Jig would be moved to Advanced Intermediate.

I really like Rockstep's idea about making the last Pre-Premier class the most challenging to "graduate" from. Therefore, I would incorporate her suggestion to require 6 stamps at 6 separate competitions in order to move from Advanced Intermediate to Premier. However, I would add one more wrinkle... the stamps must come from placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Fling, Sword, Seann Triubhas or Reel. Furthermore, the judges would be instructed to adjudicate the Advanced Intermediate classes against a standard. 1st through 3rd places should only be awarded if the dancers achieved or exceeded the standard.

At first, I agreed with Rockstep's suggestion that the last Pre-Premier class should be required to earn a first place in six separate competitions before they can advance to Premier, however, I believe this would lead to some negative consequences for younger dancers, particularly in the U.S. Too often, these classes are very small and younger dancers are at a disadvantage to compete against their older and stronger competitors. Placing 1st through 3rd against a set standard 6 separate times would be a sufficient test to pass before a dancer could advance to Premier.
By lauritaxi Comments: 27, member since Sun Jul 19, 2009
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 06:08 PM
I agree that you should receive stamps in intermediate and then an advanced intermediate class. when the kids go into premier its a whole different standard of dance required and when the kids are not getting placed they fall away and give up.
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 06:43 PM
Or have more premiere A and premiere B type competitions where you separate out the national champions from the non-champions. I don't compete a lot because I'm an over-30 adult who just can't compete against the 20 somethings any more and really don't want to compete against the regional and national champions. I'd happily compete against the non-champions or the over 30 set.
By jazzymac Comments: 41, member since Tue Mar 08, 2005
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 07:04 PM
Hi,

I think there are some good suggestions here but I think that some of the posters would do a great job of getting involved in the their associations and committees etc and maybe they can implement some of the changes, if possible. Maybe, they will also see that some of the changes they would like (admittedly some are just pipe dreams) are not financially possible but with more people involved in the running of things, it may happen.

Food for thought.

:) Jaz
By TamrasMom Comments: 215, member since Wed Sep 23, 2009
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:21 AM
I'd get rid of half points... but only because there so damned hard and hurt my feet!
By highlandgirl199 Comments: 97, member since Sat Apr 12, 2008
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 04:21 PM
puddelilly wrote:

I like the idea that ID comps have where you move up in each dance individually. That way you're not competing against really excellent dancers in a dance that you're not as great at. They also have a scoring system that helps dancers understand their strengths and weaknesses so that they can work on those specifically.

I've been to ID comps so I know what you're saying... my issue with this is, a dancer has to be there all day competing until they move up in all dances... and then when do you add the new dances? Then each time a new dance is learned they have to start out in the morning again. But the idea that they wouldn't have to dance against the same dancers everytime is a good one.

I also like the comments about an older premier class... as someone who is getting close to that age, I would have more incentive to compete, if I knew I didn't have to dance against all the 18 yr olds. Also new dances or at least new (old) steps would be great. After you've been dancing as long as some of us have, it would be nice to do something new!

There are times I wish we could see the entire class results. Although i also agree that this could get very dicouraging to some dancers to learn they were last or close to last.
By f_and_m_mum Comments: 48, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:37 AM
I think that with the judging being so inconsistent, it would be great to know where my daughter went wrong. Pipe bands are given sheets with comments, so why can't dancers? How can one improve if one does not know where the judges are not pleased!! I have seen girls dance entirely wrong steps and get 1st place while my daughter (she's only in primary!) get placed below them, even though the other dancer turned the wrong way, was on the wrong foot, missed steps etc... It would make judges have to be more reliable in their judging!
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:56 PM
^This has all been discussed on threads before, but to address your post:

THE JUDGING IS FINE.

How can you say the judge went wrong? or that judging is inconsistent?

Did you consider that even if another dancer did a step wrong, that maybe your dancer has poor use of turnout or un-pointed feet or danced on a flat hopping foot etc etc... and that these things are wrong as well? You should consider it a mistake if a dancer does not have technique in her dancing. As a parent you can't see these things unless you are trained or have been a watchful parent for a substantial amount of time. And even then, you won't have the eye or understanding of a teacher. Which leads me to...

Your suggestion: judges feedback

Teachers! This is where you will find your feedback. That is what they are there for. To teach your dancer, to guide your dancer, to improve your dancer. You don't need judges notes.
On Sat Nov 14, 2009 06:27 AM
I respectfully disagree on needing judges notes. Sometimes, you don't know what a judge is looking at. Some judges are picky about pointed feet. Others are picky about timing. Others are picky about turnout. Granted, you should be doing all these things but sometimes, it's nice to know that you didn't place highly because the judge just didn't like your style as opposed to something you did wrong.

Now in HD, it's hard to get good judges comments because they rarely mark down comments of any significance. The dancing goes by so quickly that they have to watch more than write comments. Pipe bands are on the field for several minutes and there's time to write comments. In marching band, the judges would speak into a tape recorder. I don't know if they do that for pipe bands. Plus a pipe band judge is looking at the entire band, not each individual. Unless someone is really off time or out of step, they aren't going to notice. A HD judge is looking at individuals and has to be a lot more picky. Sometimes placement comes down to who pointed their toes harder or jumped a fraction of an inch higher. Sometimes a judge didn't have a good angle to see you and you looked like you were doing something wrong when you weren't. This is why championships have 3 judges and you switch places when you dance.

There are some competitions that do judges comments and the competition will say that on the entry form. Medal tests are also good for getting written feedback. I think it's good to get feedback from as many people as possible because they're all different. I've noticed that my school tends to place higher with Scottish and Canadian judges than American ones. It's just a style thing.
On Sat Nov 14, 2009 04:38 PM
^By your way of thinking, a dancer should try to dance different for each judge? That would not jive with any sort of improvement in a dancer. Just guessing games. A waste of time.
On Sat Nov 14, 2009 04:47 PM
To some extent, competition is a game. At the very top levels (nationals, worlds, etc.) any one of the dancers competing could probably take the trophy. A lot of those competitions come down to minor mistakes, which everyone makes no matter how much you practice or how good you are, and style. I don't advocate dancing differently for each judge but if you look at your placings over time and how everyone else places against you, you can probably start to figure out what particular judges like and don't like, esp. if you tape your competitions and review them. You still try to dance your best and always strive to improve but sometimes, it's helpful to know that you just won't place as high with some judges and that's okay.
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5324, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Tue Jan 26, 2010 04:48 PM
If I could change anything about Highland, it would be the awkward transition in between the highcut circle and the turn at the end of the Highland Laddie. I always thought those two movements didn't really go together.
By SueC Comments: 73, member since Tue Apr 19, 2011
On Tue May 10, 2011 07:11 PM
i say as my daughter costumes and what you messed up on
-costumes because they are so thick and heavy when you are hot and sweaty you swell.and its hard to get the aboyne on especaily
- what you messed up on because you could see what you need to work or improve and you ntim img and tempo eg. side, behind, in front, behind four beats but the tempo could be normal, fast or slow
By highlandtoesSJ Comments: 16, member since Wed Jul 13, 2011
On Thu Jul 14, 2011 01:31 PM
I don't think stamps for intermediate dancers would really work you would end up moving up to premire to quickly if you are a particularly good dancer and may not have gained enough expreience with the new dances. I personally like the idea of having the freedom to choose to compet or not to compete and still be able to move up. I think this gives a dancer the time need to really work on and learn new dances to a much better stanard almost to perpair a dancer for the premier level of dancing where as the beginners and novice groups the dance remain the same then all of a sudden you have to learn a whole new bunch. then having to compete against a group of people which have been doing these dances for a much longer period of time. I think a extra group would be much more useflu than collecting stamps
By TwinMom Comments: 20, member since Sat Jun 04, 2011
On Thu Jul 14, 2011 07:44 PM
I vote for judges comments too. I know that the girls can talk to the judges but sometimes it is just not great timing, the girls are tired and parents want to hit the road.
By Rosie5107 Comments: 44, member since Sun Sep 25, 2011
On Tue Sep 27, 2011 08:56 PM
It would be nice to see where you placed even if not in the top medals.
By Rosie5107 Comments: 44, member since Sun Sep 25, 2011
On Tue Sep 27, 2011 08:57 PM
Also it would be good to see what mistakes were made so as to correct them.
By AngieMich Comments: 30, member since Fri Jan 20, 2012
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 PM
I think that I would like to see a bit of a difference on how they organize the age groups at competitions. I like the initial system of how you progress through the levels, but I have encountered a few problems, and I know I am not the only one! I started competitions when I was twelve and because of that have always been one of the older competitors because of this. my one problem is that it is very difficult dance the reel or half Tulloch with three ten year olds who only come up to my chest! Not to mention that I am taller than average for my age, so that makes it even more awkward!
By knitter99 Comments: 31, member since Sat Mar 12, 2011
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 02:24 PM
I would also like to have judge's comments and a full list of placings. Judging is sometimes inconsitsent, just look at championship points and you can see it clear as day! A dancer can get a 1st, a 5th and nothing for example, it would be nice to know why this has happened. Certainly a teacher is there for guidance, but a fresh pair of eyes and a new perspective can bring a lot to one's dancing. In regards to a full list of placings, it would be nice to know, especially at large championships, whether you were sitting in that 7th spot or if you were way out of the placings so then you would have a more solid idea of where you sit in each dance.
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch