Poll: Highland / Highland - Theory

Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4
re: If you could change anything with highland dance what would it be?
By animal_mad Comments: 95, member since Tue Aug 16, 2011
On Sat May 12, 2012 02:17 PM
I voted for What we Messed up on as one day I got a 6th in the Fling and 1st in the trophy fling now what i don't get is that i did the same steps (first backstepping,toe and heel last) and i had the same judge. The only thing I could think of was I wasnt warmed up properly or I was more relaxed.
By emlougar Comments: 25, member since Thu Jul 14, 2011
On Mon May 14, 2012 07:07 AM
I would like to see judges comments/ decisions. Some constructive criticism would be very helpful
By HighlandHopeful Comments: 34, member since Sun Jun 09, 2013
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:17 AM
I would like to see more age/ level separation if possible. It is really awkward being a 16 year old beginner with a bunch of ankle bitters for competition. Especially when your really tall and look older than you really are. No offence intended.
By Dornie Comments: 23, member since Sun May 13, 2012
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 05:05 PM
It would be great if we could get judge's comments like pipers get at their competition. But that wouldn't work logistically since we dance in groups.
By Reel2 Comments: 280, member since Thu Jun 14, 2007
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 09:57 AM
I would agree with Loritaxi - there should be some division between Premier dancers and those who dance championships as they are at a completely different level. I think thats where people begin to give up because they go to competitions and know straight away they haven't got a chance from the very beginning.
By dancerdunedin Comments: 30, member since Mon Jul 28, 2014
On Mon Jul 06, 2015 08:42 PM
Whenever I get 4th I can't help to wonder what I did wrong. So I wish we could get our score sheets back so we could correct our mistakes.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Fri Sep 11, 2015 09:27 PM
LeeAinsdancer wrote:

One thng I agree with is that the Intermediate level should have to get stamps of something. I believe the judging gets harder and because you do not have to get stamps you may never place in Intermediate and yet still have to move up after a year. This does not make sense to me.
The other thing is that there are a very good dancers in my daughters age group that win the trophy over and over again. It might be better for organizers to have Premier A and B seperate even if it means putting two age groups together and seperating the A's and the B's.

This was going to be my vote, too. Or make it harder to move up, period. After all, you always have the option to move up if you're tired of the level you're at... but not the option to stay put. And it's easy to be dead last on every dance, and then have one fluke where you place third, and you get a stamp, and could potentially move up even if you're really not ready.

Along with that, I like the idea of Premier A and B, and more pre-Championships. In many areas, this might not help much-- some regions simply have a lot of really good dancers and a person could be a really great dancer and simply get beaten out of winning a championship by a really-greater dancer and by that alone be eligible to dance in a pre-Championship, but still.

I agree, though, that it would be nice to have all dancers shown a placing. At the very least, go to 6 placings, rather than using fewer like some competitions do (I still have yet to figure out why, except to save some money in the oldest Premier group, but most competitions don't give out THAT much money in the last 3 or so placings to make it that big of a deal).

Sometimes I also wish there were easier ways to split classes. Having a group of 15-17 sometimes feels like overkill... but often if you look at the program (if they list ages), you understand why they had to do it that way (say, 13 people are 18 or 19, one is 23, and one is 28). Just wish there was an easier way without having to be in a huge group.
Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch