Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

using props
By SwitchLeap_Queenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 12, 2008 12:32 PM

I was just wondering what everybody thought would be some pretty cool ideas for a prop in a lyrical dance.. can be a solo, duo, trio or group!

10 Replies to using props

re: using props
By LennonNotLenin
On Fri May 16, 2008 08:50 PM
I can't really tell you without knowing a song, but here are some I've seen used before:

a frame
mirror
bridge
chairs (of course)
tables
couches
ladders
fabric
platforms

and the list goes on and on
By SwitchLeap_Queenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 17, 2008 11:12 AM
thanks.. I really havn't picked out a song yet but i just want a prop thats very unique and new!
By sky_dancer_2010member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 18, 2008 08:16 PM
In the past that i've never seen before, or used since then....

this girl had a door made and a window and she put them on either side of the stage...

this other girl used a bed.... i've seen graves used...
By DeeDeesPremium member
On Mon May 19, 2008 04:27 AM
I've seen many props
Sarcophagus
swords
fans (feathered)
poles
brooms
chest
suitcase
umbrella
huge book used for diary of Anne Frank
flower /flower pot
fire
teepee
oyster shell (large)
many more
By molliegymmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 19, 2008 09:18 PM
I think it'd be really cool to use a ribbon- like a long ribbon, sorta like they do in rhythmic gymnastics (only lyrical dance, not rhythmic gymnastics).
By ItzChrissyyyx3
On Thu May 22, 2008 08:19 PM
I saw someone use a shirt it was pretty cool actually i cant think of the song though.It was more of a modern song though than lyrical.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 25, 2008 02:59 PM
We like to use props on my dance team at school. Last year we had a big string, or really just a long piece of red fabric, that represented a disease. There was also a numchuck dance, but that wasn't lyrical. I used a bench in my contemporary dance this year to The Moment I Said It and it worked really well. There was also a dance that the middle school dance team did with ribbons that you see in rythmic gymnastics. We also had a jungle dance using brown bamboo-like poles. That one was more contemporary than lyrical though.

Bench
Chairs
Table
Rythmic gymnastics ribbons
String
Mattress (I saw a dance to Sleep to Dream that used a mattress)
Blanket or sheet of fabric

There are a lot more that you can use. I would reccomend picking a prop first and them thinking of what the prop could represent, then find a song that would work with your dance moves. That way, they whole dance is centered around the prop. It's a little harder than just finding a song, but it is really different and fun. You really want to have a purpose for the prop, not just use it because it would be cool. With that, dances with props are much better when the prop is actually used in the dance. Having a door, as someone mentioned, would be a lot harder to actually use in a dance. You don't want it to just sit there.
By Dancer517member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 25, 2008 08:24 PM
i recently have really started to like the song Photograph by Nickelback. ive really been thinking how cool it would be for a lyrical dance. you could use a picture or something. it would be really meaningful for a competition dance of some sort.

haha just one of my thoughts. i actually heard my teamates talking about a dance they saw with a balloon to the song Farewell by Alia. they were saying how it was so super pretty. on SYTYCD there was a contemporary dance with a bench and a sunflower, it actually won an Emmy nomination it was AMAZING. and a saw a dance on youtube where all the girls had their hands tied together with scarves for the beginning of the dance and one girl had her arms tied together the whole time. it was cool.

im totally blanking out on other stuff i saw. ive seen chairs, shirts, hair ribbons, clothing, flags possibly, a picture frame maybe.... ack totally blanking.

ive also been thinking about how cool a duet would be where one person is on each side of a door and they are trying to talk to each other then at the end one person opens the door and the other comes in.

By dancethemomentX7
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 01:37 PM
I saw this one dance at a copmetetion to the song Silence, and they had tape over they're mouths and at the end ripped it off. It was a relly good dance but near the end the dancer's were looking very tired from lack of mouth breathing i think : )

I like small props like flowers or shirts, i think they represent things well.
By VicenteAJohnson
On Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:31 AM
I need an online guide for my college dance team so please help me. I read an article at www.sciencetimes.com . . . online resource and they told about distance learning so I also want that type of article which will helpful for my dance team.
By MeredithIvycoll
On Tue Sep 21, 2021 09:55 AM
How do you feel about books. They always told me to read a lot at school. So it went in my head. Yesterday I started reading the glass menagerie quotes an interesting masterpiece. An autobiographical play - which brought the author a huge success. I advise everyone.
By GeorgeVento
On Wed Sep 22, 2021 02:09 AM
Edited by GeorgeVento (396681) on 2021-09-22 03:11:53
I want to say that this is really a work of art. A very interesting book freebooksummary.com . . . that everyone should read. Its name the glass menagerie quotes speaks for itself. If you want something to lure you for a long time about the best that this book can be!

ReplySendWatch