Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
re: Hose Knitting Pattern
By bagpiprMary Comments: 11, member since Sun Jan 25, 2009
On Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:35 AM
Hi,
I looked into the pattern/kit from wool express and by the time I get it shipped, pay tax etc. it is over $100 Cdn. I am a bit scared to spend that much and end up with no/bad/messed up socks!
How hard is fitting the heel and all that? I always heard socks were hard to do.
Does the wool express pattern have more detailed instructions than the pattern here?
Thanks
Mary
By DundeeDancer Comments: 513, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 AM
Edited by DundeeDancer (176416) on 2009-02-09 11:14:38 added some thoughts

For some folks I suppose the written instructions are best, others work better from graphs/charts. The WoolExpress instructions have both really. They include color charts to follow the pattern, and a nice chart to manage the heel - but also have enough written instruction to be able to follow it step by step. If you need to shape the calf (ie: for an adult dancer), you will have to do some figuring to start with more stitches (a full mirrored argyle at the back - refer to the pic - sock on the left), then decrease down to the tube like pattern for the ankle. The pattern WoolExpress follows assumes a relatively straight calf (tube-like, no shaping).

If you've got some knitting experience, I am sure you can manage socks. Sometimes it is hard to imagine what you will get until you do it, and see how it all comes together. The heel isn't as bad as you'd imagine either - their method is quite easy.

Good luck,
DundeeDancer
By bagpiprMary Comments: 11, member since Sun Jan 25, 2009
On Mon Feb 09, 2009 01:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I will never know if I don't try it.
Mary
By runaround Comments: 52, member since Sun Mar 02, 2008
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 04:26 AM
I am just about to attempt to knit some hose - and the first thing I have noticed in the pattern from wool express is that I have to use 'reverse' stocking stitch . Can someone please explain what this is ? Not a good start. (I know what stocking stitch is !!)
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 AM
Hi Runaround,
Reverse stocking stitch is just refering to the backside. You will notice further in the pattern you will switch to regular. Their pattern knits the underside of the cuff, the front of the cuff, then switches direction of the stitches for the front of the leg. I now knit the cuff, underside of cuff, then the leg all facing front. It only makes a difference for where the top is sewn to make the cuff - underside or topside. Did I explain it alright? If you fold a piece of paper with the pattern drawn on it, you will get the idea of why it switches from reverse to front.

DundeeDancer
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:10 PM
Hi DundeeDancer
Thanks for that - I understand now -I was getting a bit confused ! I think it is going to take me longer than I first thought to knit these socks !
By amalex Comments: 2, member since Sun Feb 22, 2009
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 01:05 PM
To Dundee Dancer,
Iif you was wondering
By Blue_Bonnets Comments: 345, member since Mon Oct 15, 2007
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 PM
Does anyone know if there's a circular pattern out there for Highland socks? I'm not a huge fan of purling, and circular patterns only require knitting, so they're infinitely faster! Even though many of you have alligned those diamonds impressively well on the back, I still by far prefer the look of continuous diamonds. My current socks are continuous diamonds (i.e. not fully-fashioned), and fit fine. So, I'm just wondering if there are any patterns out there for circular socks?
By taylorsgrandma Comments: 2, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Mon May 11, 2009 04:02 PM
I have never seen a 'circular' pattern for highland hose. The problem with a circular pattern is that your rows would not 'meet' at your chosen seam area. When you knit circular, the rows are just that and unless you do a partial stitch pick-up from the bottom of the previous row, the pattern does not jibe. One of our knitting guru's has explained this method but I cannot remember who it is. Elizabeth Zimmerman or Mary Thomas, perhaps.
On Tue May 12, 2009 02:28 AM
After much grinding of teeth and mutterings , I have managed to finish one sock and am about one quarter through the next sock. I tried knitting the foot in a circular method incorporating one argyle pattern but it just didn't work.I could not wind the wool round the next colour properly -so all I ended up with was a series of holes where the colours joined.
By thistleanne Comments: 19, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Tue May 12, 2009 01:12 PM
Could you please tell me the name of the group on Revelry where Highland sock knitting is discussed. Thanks
By KathyP Comments: 464, member since Thu Apr 06, 2006
On Tue May 12, 2009 11:26 PM
It is Ravelry.com and the group is "Highland Dance". :)
By thistleanne Comments: 19, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Thu May 14, 2009 03:38 PM
Thank you for the information. I would also like to know if anyone has tried using a flat bed knitting machine for Highland socks and if so what makes and models. Perhaps would like to try them.
By KathyP Comments: 464, member since Thu Apr 06, 2006
On Thu May 14, 2009 06:16 PM
I use a Brother 864 with intarsia carriage, standard gauge.
By taylorsgrandma Comments: 2, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Wed May 27, 2009 05:54 PM
I use a standard gauge silver reed with the intasia carriage.
On Thu May 28, 2009 09:07 AM
Edited by DundeeDancer (176416) on 2009-05-28 09:09:19 typo!!
I use a Singer SK360 standard gauge with an intarsia carriage.
By atomic_bear Comments: 23, member since Wed Apr 22, 2009
On Mon Jun 08, 2009 07:46 AM
They look quite difficult to knit. How long do they take and would it be possible for a nivice to try a pair
By sailorgirl4ER Comments: 38, member since Sun Dec 07, 2008
On Wed Aug 19, 2009 03:53 PM
I am going to purchase a sock kit from woolexpress for my daughter that they are custom making to match her kilt. Is this worth is since she is only 5 or should I just stick with the white ones for now?
By jazznpisces Comments: 32, member since Tue Sep 18, 2007
On Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:36 PM
Sailorgirl,

I would make hose for my daughter if I could knit. What a wonderful gift that would make her feel great, made just for her by mommy! Well worth it....well up to a price anyhow. Just realize that at age 5 she'll need a larger size soon and you'll be expected to perform again HA! Tartan hose do seem to look cleaner, especially at the end of a morning competition.

Best wishes
By Rhonda2 Comments: 1, member since Sun Oct 04, 2009
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 01:55 PM
This hose pattern sounds wonderful but is it possible to get a copy of the graph
By mommabear Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 12, 2009
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 06:41 PM
Hello. I Have a problem....
Im taking a crack at this pattern. Im just trying it with regular cheap baby worst to see if I CAN do it before I consider buying a Kit.

Im wondering, I gather that colour B is fine with one ball, but am I supposed to have a separate ball for each....section? At the moment im just running all 4 strands from 4 balls back and forth and its making a dreadful mess and wrecking my...tension?
So, am I supposed have one ball for the very end..one ball for my main colour, a little ball for the skinny stripe, another ball for the colour that looks to be making the point of a diamond, and two more balls to mirror the ones on the first half?

I guess it would have been easier to say should I be working with 6 balls at the same time?

Im sorry for not knowing this,I have never tried at colour pattern before with the exception of making stripes in sweaters nad blankets. Ive also never tried a Sock..Just baby booties.

My appologies.
Thanks
By socks4U Comments: 119, member since Wed Nov 17, 2004
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 07:51 PM
You need to have a ball for each diamond. For example, if your socks are say Dress Blue Cunningham..you would have a ball for a blue diamond then a ball for the marl ( mixed colour), then a ball for the natural diamond, then the marl again and the final blue diamond. You do not carry the yarns. You do need to twist the yarns when changing colours so that there is no holes. Of course you also have 4 more small balls for the diagonols or you can duplicate these in but I prefer to knit as I go.....after the first diamonds are completed then you switch the colours around, natural, marl,blue,marl and natural......is this clear as mud?
By DDAspynPremium member Comments: 177, member since Tue Nov 07, 2006
On Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:05 PM
Hey Atomic_bear...I am fortunate enough to have a mom that knits hose for my daughter. She told me that it takes about 70 hours to hand knit ours. My friends keep asking if she will do theirs but she keeps declining.
By tatt1e Comments: 25, member since Sun Mar 28, 2010
On Mon Mar 29, 2010 08:17 AM
Thanks for posting the pattern! As a new member this will be very helpfull!! My daughter has just started dancing so i am pretty sure that granny will be more than happy to give these a go!! :)
xx
By redislandmom Comments: 3, member since Mon Apr 12, 2010
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 07:19 AM
Edited by redislandmom (221959) on 2010-04-15 08:09:44
Can you please PM the chart and spreadsheet to me.
thanks
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch